S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Senior moment almost cost me my life

Old 08-14-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by The Raptor' timestamp='1471124494' post='24038753
Glad you are OK, Ray. That's scary stuff! When I was a teenager I had a 1962 Corvair Monza. (Ralph Nader was right.) On the San Diego Freeway one day, the luggage compartment lid (like a hood, but the engine was in the rear) flew up and off my car and sailed at a 45° angle through the passenger side of the windshield of a moving van behind me. Over a few feet and it woiuld have decapitated the driver. We both pulled over and I almost had to peel the driver's fingers off his steering wheel. He was frozen in shock.
I had a 64 Monza, nothing that serious but the muffler did fall off. The sound was loud until I got a new one. Thanks for your concern.
Ray, my steering column would come loose from my steering gear and I could spin my steering wheel while my car went in whatever direction it felt like. Or my front end would start to shake violently and I would have to slam on the brakes.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Ray, thankfully you are still here to tell the tale. Damn near miss! But I guess the man upstairs said it wasn't your time. Actually what you did was a fear many of us who work on our own cars have. Right in the middle of doing something.... Honey, it's lunch time, etc. or you have a phone call, etc.... or what ever and you forget to finish up completely the project you were working on.

Since a number of others shared their stories, I'll toss in mine. Believe me, I'm not trying to top yours. I had a Nissan Maxima that I owned for 18 years and loved but it was at the end of it's life as rust had eaten away the jackup points. In any case, I was swapping out the winter tires for the summer tires. For some unknown reason the torque setting on my air gun did not work.... but I didn't know it. After the swap I drove into town about 3 miles away to get gas. To get there I jump onto a 70 mph road for most of it. I hit the first red light after the 55 mph with a green. When I entered the second light and stepped on the brakes ALL four wheels came off! Thank God it was Sunday and very little traffic at the intersection. One wheel went into the Shell station. One wheel went into a Target store parking lot. One wheel just hit a curb and was in the middle of the oncoming lane. And I've no idea where wheel four went. All I could think of was - Thank God It Didn't Happen a Couple Minutes Earlier when I was doing 70 mph. Believe it or not I sold the car on the spot. A couple people came out from their houses to help round up the wheels, and nuts that were all over the place, and a young guy said he had a jack. We jacked it up after its ride on the brake rotors and I drove it to his house. He commented he loved working on cars and I asked him if was interested in a project. I sold it to him the car for a couple hundred and made him sign a statement that he knew what he was buying. Ever since I have looked to see it back on the road around our town but I've never seen it. But, to this day I will still say it was the best car I ever owned.
Thanks Dave, Wow, I guess it wasn't your time either. I detailed a Porsche Panamera turbo the next day and when I returned it the owner said he was in a race when he was younger in his Austin Healey and after taking a sharp turn he noticed a wheel coming by him. He noticed it was a wire wheel just like the ones on his car. It was one of his rear wheels. Remarkably the car remained upright until he could stop.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Yikes, that is a scary one. Glad to hear you are ok. The car can be fixed.
Thanks, you are so right. Insurance already on it.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Ray, just read this. Glad it wasn't worse and that you had the presence of mind to pull over when you did!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:16 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

around 10 years ago my father in law had his SUV brakes serviced before going up to Vermont for the summer.
The would load up the utility trailer with his motorcycle and a bunch of other stuff.
As they swept down through and downhill to uphill right hand sweeper on Rt 89 he looked to his left and watched his rear tire go rolling by.
Somehow he got it off to the side of the road and stopped.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Glad you are okay, we all have those moments luckily they are usually not that dramatic, to say the least. Our memories ain't what they used to be.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy
Glad you are okay, we all have those moments luckily they are usually not that dramatic, to say the least. Our memories ain't what they used to be.
Thanks Gene and Ken. Sticky notes were made for me. Next time, sticky note on wheels, "torque me on tight".
Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Glad you are OK.The error is not uncommon. My +1 switched out winter/summer tires on one of my cars back in the day. I heard a noise as I was driving, headed home, thankfully a short drive and not on the highway. I gave him a call at work to describe the noise...he asked me to check the lug nuts. Oops...they were pretty loose. I might have thought he was trying to collect on my life insurance, but I'm worth more for my weekly paycheck.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm feeling better about my act of stupidity as this post goes on. Thanks to all.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I'm feeling better about my act of stupidity as this post goes on. Thanks to all.
My dad forgot to tighten the lug nuts on our boat trailer when we took off for a 300 mile drive to boat camp on Lake Havasu, when I was a child. My brother and I were laying in the back of the Bonneville station wagon looking at sparks shooting up to the back windows after about an hour on the freeway in the dark of early morning.