S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

September road trip planning

Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiew pictures from last years...
I have a nice video during the ride in Stowe, but unable to upload it on YouTube...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you all very much for the information and suggestions. This looks to be shaping up for a real nice trip. We did something similar last September along the coast of Oregon and Northern California. We got some very good suggestions for attractions, restaurants, routes, and the like from members of S2KI in the area. They pointed out some really neat places we never would have stopped for otherwise, like the Tillamook Cheese Factory, and a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant with the best fish tacos on the planet. We would just pick a route and drive until ready to stop, then consult the AAA guide for a place to stay nearby. Turned out to be one of the best vacations ever
Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Haven't been up that way in a long time, but when I was in Maine, I loved Ogunquit and Boothbay Harbour. We took a day sailing trip from Boothbay that included a clam/lobster bake on an island. It was great!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 AM

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_s2k,Jul 29 2010, 09:04 PM
They have amazing twisty roads in VT, specialy the 100 et 108 between Jeffersonville and Brandon, really nice view point and curves in the Green Mountain National Forest.

Highly recommended !!!

I dont know why but they dont never have S2000 meet there...
We attended a two day meet in VT back in '04. Two young guys did an amazing job of putting it together and we covered much of route 100.

Ellen/Tadashi also organized a VT meet back in 07 or 08. Lots of fun!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Not sure how much time you have or how far west in NYS you plan to venture but the Finger Lakes region is a beautiful area. Some great roads, lots of quaint B&Bs, beautiful scenery, good eats, and Watkins Glen. If you make it to the Glen be sure to stop in at the Seneca Lodge for a meal This is where many F-1 drivers stayed back in the days when the Glen hosted the USGP. Very historic, if you are a motorhead.

You can take the Interstate to Route 17/I-85 to Elmira (glider capitol of the US)...maybe stop at the National Soaring Museum and Mark Twain's final resting spot. Head over to Corning and check out the museum at the Corning Museum of Glass (much more interesting than it sounds). Then hop up to the Glen. Got another day? If you've never been to Niagra Falls...well...life just isn't complete. Of course if you want to see the Falls from Canada you need a passport now.

Regardless, have a great trip.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_s2k,Jul 29 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Emil!

No problem, I will organize a 3-4 days meet in Vermont for the next summer. Let me know in wich forum is the best place to start the thread. They have just one problem, they dont have Hotel around the spot. Only camping spot
Vintage Forum is the VERY best place to post,for a meet.

I'm pretty sure,you,(we...) could get some help,from local residents.

If this doesn't work,maybe we should organize something,in Quebec,ie:from Lachute to St-Sauveur...

I'm sure we could find a good Hotel at a decent group buy price,in the area.

I thought of organizing a meet,in Quebec city area,a couple years ago,but,it's too much work for one person,alone.
But,if I remember right,there were quite a few people interested,in the Vintage forum.

If you want a taste,of what the U.S. meets are like,join us,for the New England Fall Crawl...REAL Class...

-Emil.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, Nice to chat on the phone tonight. Looking forward to the next chat now I know your itinerary I can taillor some more sights and roads for you.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Red2K,Jul 29 2010, 09:59 PM
Thank you all very much for the information and suggestions. This looks to be shaping up for a real nice trip. ....
Bill- Nice to see you posting here

If you "rough out" an itinerary and even post it via GoogleMap, then many of us would be more able to offer specific tips on less-known places. It's a great part of the US with very enjoyable back roads everywhere.

Initial thought: Head up I-81 to "make some time" at the start and take back roads to Corning (amazing Corning Glass exhibit)...on to Watkins Glen and Lake Seneca; besides the auto stuff, take a Wine Tasting tour on the west side of the lake. Then head X-country...perhaps stopping at the Baseball H of F in Cooperstown....if you have not seen it before. My next stop might be the Lake George area (lots of day trips and hikes in the area are fun...free maps at Adirondack visitor center); you could easily spend several days here. Head NE to stop at Fort Ticonderoga and then cross over to VT and NH. The Shelburne Museum and nearby factory tour of the Ben n Jerrys Ice Cream are "must sees". Afterwards, I would look at the AAA and meander all over VT and into the White Mtns of NH, and on the the boundless opportunities of a week in Maine in September. If you're exhausted by this time, you can get back to New Freedom via Interstate in 2 days of driving.

By the way, did I say that I love traveling? I hope the above is accurate...as that suggestion is all out of my head

For those who don't remember, Bill was one of the Group Leaders at the Fall Gathering in Gettysburg....the guy in the blue jacket
Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Emil, PM sent !
Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would second a visit to Lake George. If you want to treat yourself to a nice night or two, I would strongly suggest The Sagamore (www.thesagamore.com) in Bolton Landings.

From Lake George, you could travel up 9N to Fort Ticonderoga and the west-shore of Lake Champlain, then west (on 9N/73) to Lake Placid for some of the most beautiful scenery you'll experience.

Then double back on 73/9N/22 to Lake Champlain and take the ferry (http://www.ferries.com/south_schedule.asp) from Essex, NY to Charlotte, VT.

This thread has some recommendations...https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=629081&st=0

Quick Reply: September road trip planning