S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sharing your S2K interest with your SO

Old 02-07-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I met someone who may not share my enthusiasm or interest in the car. I can't decide if that is an issue or not. I'm inclined to think not. In a way I would like for him to be involved with it, but in another it is something that I might want to keep for myself and share other things.

How do you all feel about this in relation to your own significant other? Do you share or not?
Old 02-07-2004, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife clearly doesn't understand my infatuation with the car, which is just fine with me. But, on the other hand, she enjoys the fact that in my "advanced " years, I've found something to get excited about. She even bought me a new mobile tool chest, with more drawers than I'll probably ever need, for my weekend projects working on the S. She also enjoys the fringe benefit of getting her car zaioned, and leather treatment done on her interior whenever I do mine (which is probably way more often than neccessary ).
Old 02-07-2004, 03:28 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It can be a problem if you let it become one. My wife has no interest in cars. To her they are simply modes of transportation, used only to get from point a to point b. Anything more is excess. Like bluerooster's wife she is happy that I've (re)discovered something that thrills me as much as the S, sportscars and my time on S2KI, but she sometimes thinks it is at the expense of everything else. Especially now that I am working so many hours.

I wouldn't mind if she'd take an interest and share in my joy, but I've come to terms with her feelings about cars. Still, its hard to convince her to come to meets and events, and I'd like to share that with her.

With all of the time that we spend on our cars and all of the time that we spend here, I think you have to be particularly careful. I think you have to find a balance for it all to work, and I think your SO has to find the balance too.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:45 AM

I am coming to the point of considering the (s2000) car a vehicle - not so much for transportation, but rather, for social interaction.

There are many very very very nice cars out there (and it seems that more are on the way nearly daily) ; but frankly this is my first encounter with a physical object that has led to the meeting and interacting with so many extremely warm and friendly people.

Perhaps your new flame could look at it that way. The S2000 gets you through the gate of a new community.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Defender, very well said.

Rob, This was one of the many "issues" we had. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how someone could NOT want to go for a simple top down ride. It's not like I wanted her to share in the oil change duties. She had no interest in any of the events, local or otherwise. Last year I volunteered to host our mid-winter event. I asked her if the date I was planning was ok, and her reply was, "do I have to be here?". WTF? I can't tell you how many times I was asked by the gang, "where's your wife?". I wanted to reply, "at home, with her head planted firmly up her ass". Anyway, I'm sure this is not the case with you and E.W.A.

On the plus side, since my insignificant other didn't want to do any of this stuff, it gave me an opportunity to spend high quality time with #2 son.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:42 AM

I cant understand how someone could Not like to go for a top-down ride either! on a nice day that is Ive date many women (not at the same time of course,hehe) but few have really understood my passion for anything sporty on wheels. I sure hope the next SO i date is into cars as i am. It just makes things so much easier when they understand and feel the same as you do. Not only about cars and the S2K, but in general
Old 02-07-2004, 05:50 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yeah, sure....hehe.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
....It just makes things so much easier when they understand and feel the same as you do. Not only about cars and the S2K, but in general
Kathy understands but doesn't feel the same way that I do about cars. I've appreciated her willingness to attend some of the events with me (OBX twice, FC '01, FC '02, Zippy MidWinter '04)....so it's OK when she opts out for another happening. I look fwd to her accompanying me to Spring Fling '04...since a lot my new vintage folks have NOT met this nice lady I do commiserate with folks here whose spouse will not EVER attend one of our events to recognize the other's passion

OTOH, if I was looking for a new significant other, I think it would be GREAT to connect with another who loved cars/ drives/ meets/ social gatherings focused around cars! I would definitely seek out beautiful available females who love to drive 6 speed, drive fast, and want to put her hands all over my........StooK

The are a few couples on the board who seem to fit the bill....Sheila and Ron in NC (both with S2000's), Levi and Karla in Upstate NY, Dana and Janice her in the DelVal group, and of course Valentine and the notorious +!

Back to Deb's quandry: If the guy at least shows a modicum of tolerance of your roadster love and he has lots of other good qualities that you like, then I would GO FOR IT
Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I feel very lucky on this issue. My wife is NOT a car fan like myself, but she does enjoy the trips we take and the people we have met. Plus there is no problem if she can't make an meet or event, all she says is "be carefull and enjoy yourself."
Both of us, now in our second marriage, have learned to allow each other to have seperate activities of enjoyment when possible without getting jealous.
I'm a luck very luck man, having married this woman! I have the best of both worlds!
This would have been impossible with my first wife!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:17 AM

I would think the car thing would be way down the food chain.

I am older than most of you and have several friends of both sexes that have lost their spouses and returned to the game. By far the biggest problem these people all have is what I call "Family Baggage". We all have iit - parents, children, grandchildren, etc. I don't know how many times I have heard "I wish he/she wouldn't expect me to be involved in so many family matters."

If this guy likes you he will be tolerant of your differences.

Quick Reply: Sharing your S2K interest with your SO