S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Shopping for Shipping

Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,992 Posts
Default Shopping for Shipping

I wanted to test the shipping costs for shipping a book; and, separately a flash drive, as II have at least half a dozen books to mail; maybe more, and at least 50 flash drives to send out.

I first went to our local Pack & Ship and mailed a book using their lowest cost in a cardboard box. It was $17.45 in a Post Office medium flat rate box. I figured there was a mark up of a $1 or so; later I learned it was $3. I then got a quote for shipping flash drives in a 6x9 bubble wrap envelope; she said around $5.

I thought that was high, so I went to Office Max and found they were having a 2 for 1 sale on 6x9 bubble wraps and bought two boxes of 25 each for $15.89 or $.32 each. While there I got a cost estimate to ship a flash drive using a 6x9 bubble wrap with UPS. It was a whopping $10.78 and I still had to buy the envelope.

Then I went to the Post Office where I learned their bubble wraps cost $1.49 each! They said they use to sell for less but retailers made such a stink they were force to raise the price. I talked to them about their shipping boxes and prices, where I learned I could send the book in their Priority Box for just $7.35.

I returned to Pack & Save, retrieved my shipment before it went out, and asked why they didn’t at least suggest the lower priced method and was told they charge the same for either box! That means their profit on a Priority Box is $10.10 or 137%.

So, after all that my shipping costs will be:
Shipping 2.6# book in free box = $7.35
Shipping flash drive in a $.32 bubble wrap envelope for $2.54 (total of $2.86).

It certainly would have been a lot more if I had not shopped around.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

The postal service has come a very long way. They are my preferred method of shipping when possible. Economical and reliable.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 697 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
The postal service has come a very long way. They are my preferred method of shipping when possible. Economical and reliable.
Yes they have, we used UPS shipping when I worked as USPS was unreliable and expensive. However, I still can't understand why it takes 4 or 5 days to send a letter from southern to northern Delaware. It is one of the smallest states in the U.S.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Dave you can do most of your shipping from your desktop.
www.usps.com will allow you to do your shipping and you can either drop off or they will pick up.

if I recall correctly for books they have a special bulk rate as well.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I believe it is "media mail."

I buy my padded envelopes at Walmart...6x9 are 32 cents each, regular price when purchased in a 25 pack.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
www.usps.com will allow you to do your shipping and you can either drop off or they will pick up.

I looked at that. If I am reading that right there is a $15.99 a month fee.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that the flat rate boxes are the best "bang for buck". Particularly for smaller items that need to arrive quickly. That 2-3 day delivery is so nice! However, when it comes to larger more awkward packages UPS Ground has by far been great. UPS Ground services usually have packages arriving to buyers within 3 days and are not overly expensive.

I try to avoid using the "shipping stores" as they have to make money (which they do by selling materials) but I've seen substantial markups on those same items. (bubble wrap/bubble mailers/packaging peanuts etc. etc.) I can't confirm this as I've not really kept track of it but I feel like it costs more to ship a package in these stores if I have already packaged it up. For example, I tried to mail a Boston RedSox bib one time using the FedEx Kinkos store (yes it's been a few years) and they were trying to charge me $24 for their "CHEAPEST" option. Found a bubble mailer on the way to the USPS and shipped it for $2.67! Even arrived 2 days before the FedEx shipping would have!

USPS... Because if it fits, it ships!!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by boltonblue' timestamp='1459471378' post='23924727

I looked at that. If I am reading that right there is a $15.99 a month fee.
I've never paid a fee.
just created an account and ship when needed which for the record is once or twice every few months.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Conedodger and Boltonblue are correct. Media mail can save you a ton. I just got my Mazda Miata Workshop Mail hard copy via media male. I think postage was $2.72. You can ship a two pound book to anywhere in the U.S. for $3.22.

You can get pricing here. Search this long USPS page for "media", then click the link.

Rules and limitations can be found here.

And you can even ship computer-readable media. (Not sure if this includes thumb drives...but why not just send them 1st class?)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by tof
Conedodger and Boltonblue are correct. Media mail can save you a ton. I just got my Mazda Miata Workshop Mail hard copy via media male. I think postage was $2.72. You can ship a two pound book to anywhere in the U.S. for $3.22.

You can get pricing here. Search this long USPS page for "media", then click the link.

Rules and limitations can be found here.

And you can even ship computer-readable media. (Not sure if this includes thumb drives...but why not just send them 1st class?)
I've got a book boxed up in a Priority Mail box; when I take it in I'll see if I can get it sent at the Media mail rate.

Quick Reply: Shopping for Shipping