S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sidewall damage question

Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

^ I'm very happy with the Continentals on my NSX. I have Kumho Performance All-Seasons on the S, since I drive it all year.
BTW, I have never gotten over 10K on any rear tires on either car. But, I probably push them more than most.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
^ I'm very happy with the Continentals on my NSX. I have Kumho Performance All-Seasons on the S, since I drive it all year.
BTW, I have never gotten over 10K on any rear tires on either car. But, I probably push them more than most.
Obviously, we're not unhappy getting 16K out of the tires, but when shopping, he did see a difference in the ratings vs the Michelin tires and wanted to give them a try. We'll see if they live up to the extra $ they will cost.

BTW Gene, I think it's VERY likely you push your tires more than Rick does.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by raymo19' timestamp='1404763616' post='23233650
[quote name='jukngene' timestamp='1404700924' post='23232430']
[quote name='Lainey' timestamp='1404699618' post='23232413']
^
Is this really the "normal"? I/we know the wear is not totally even.
Not normal with correctly aligned wheels, IMHO. In over 116K miles on my S I have never seen this wear pattern.
Neither have I. Is that the right rear or the left rear? That looks like a toe problem possibly combined with an inflation problem. That sort of contact patch would scare the crap out of me - unless I was driving around an oval track. Then I'd just ask for an inflation adjustment and maybe a little wedge adjustment - based on the side of course.
[/quote]

Rick took a good look at the tire. The wear is mostly in the center. He says he may be guilty of some over inflation. I just pulled our records and was surprised to see we have 16K on these tires! They are Continentals and have a "D" and a "W" in the tread. If the "W" is not visible, that is supposed to indicate the tires are not as good as they should be in the wet. That is a concern for us. A "D" only would indicate they should only be used in dry conditions...not sure if anyone has any faith in that. Both letters are visible and no tread bar is visible. The car had an oil change in the fall and the tires were checked then. We've put on almost 3K this season and it's about due for an oil change. He would have checked the tires again, and prior to a road trip to NY likely changed them out.

So the flat/blow out just pushed up the tire purchase a bit. He's going to try Michelin tires this time around.
[/quote]

"W" is normally a speed rating. For the S2000 you want a W and not a Z. With proper tire pressure, etc. it can be safely run up to 168 mph. Never heard of the W in the tread. I have Continentals on my Audi..... maybe I should look.

Back in the early S2000 days there was endless discussion about Bridgestone S-02 vs S-03, and variation on tire sizes, etc. And contact patch was discussed endlessly - of course it changes with vehicle load, air pressure, etc. and therefore is not recognized as a standard measurement. I LIKE Michelin's. They are a great company according to an "insider" who visits every tire mfgr on the planet and who really knows the tire business. Good choice.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by jukngene' timestamp='1404780224' post='23233982
Obviously, we're not unhappy getting 16K out of the tires, but when shopping, he did see a difference in the ratings vs the Michelin tires and wanted to give them a try. We'll see if they live up to the extra $ they will cost.

16k is good. It's not usual for rears to need replacement between 8k & 10k - the price of having a race car for the road!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1404780605' post='23233983
[quote name='jukngene' timestamp='1404780224' post='23233982']

16k is good. It's not usual for rears to need replacement between 8k & 10k - the price of having a race car for the road!
[/quote]
We know the early model S20000s went through rear tires much sooner than we did with our '04.

We've been caught in the rain many times in the S. After my little "off road trip" in Canada, Rick selected tires with better ratings for the wet roads.

Dave- From Continental : The ExtremeContact DW features Tuned Performance Indicators - visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DW" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions and after the "W" has worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I got 15.5 out of one set of rears.
They looked a lot worse than that but very similar in that the inner side was chewed up much worse than the outer.
It's actually slightly annoying because you can't see that.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1404752040' post='23233311
It looks the same to me at that point of "wear". You can see the inside edge is wearing more than the outside. If you had continued to drive those tires to the point of cord showing, it would look my mine. That is what my tires looked like before my trip and is why I decided to go with them one last time before getting new ones. (Plus I did not see rain in the forecast)
You aren't getting a good view of the tread in that photo since it's taken from the top of one side. My tread was perfectly even all the way across the rear tires and it would not have looked anything like yours.
I am driving to Hood River, Oregon the end of this month for S2KCA Days so I bought new tires. They were at the wear bars.
Funny you mentioned Hood River. Just after visiting there is when the tire failed. Just for grins, here is a shot of the tire in early November 13. This is about 3000 miles before the end of the line. I sent this particular shot to Java Junky as we were discussing tires. You can see the tread wear is fairly even.