S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Simplify/Downscale or buy more stuff?
Simplify
92.86%
Buy
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Simplify/Downscale or buy more stuff?

Old 09-26-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at continuing education classes and there is one on how to simplify your life. Well, I suppose one might need a class in that but it seems a bit ironic.

My 81 year-old mother says she sometimes lies awake at night, bothered by the clutter in her house. I hauled three truck loads of stuff away last time I was home and didn't make a dent. They've been in their house around 45 years.

Yes, I vote to simplify. Leaves more time for driving or just lounging around doing nothing. Easier to find the car keys too.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 09-26-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, I voted to Simplify

I just caught the end of Carmen's "Need Advice: Kids" thread and hope that ideas continue here...downsizing, etc. We have some of the puzzle pieces in place of a 5 year plan:

*Maximize time at our summer cottage near Gettysburg in central Peeay (spend the warmer months there after retirement in 5-8 years). No mortgage

*Continue the process of de-junking our bigger house (also no mortgage ) in the Philly suburbs here...get the kids 20 & 30 to throw out THEIR crap. Have started this part but a lot left to do.

*Simplify investments and reduce time to manage it; improve ROI In progress.

*Find the right place for the next move: Less snow, temperate, progressive politics, good healthcare, adult ed possibilities, twisty roads(see next item). Maybe south coast area of Oregon around Medford? Need more vacation time to explore these options

*Buy another S2000 and hold in reserve
Old 09-26-2003, 10:00 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Popeye
Old 09-27-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

pas2k, I agree. Two homes is the way to go (oh sure, that's simplifying). I have two now, but I don't think either one is right for the future.

Here's some free financial advice. Now is the time to buy that retirement home down south. Starting in 5 years and continuing for 15 years, all the Boomers will be buying retirement homes in warmer climates. Buy yours now and save big. In fact, I recommend buying two now and then selling the second one when you are ready to retire. I'm betting the gain from the sale of the second will more than pay for the first.

DISCLAIMER: LEGAL BILL IS NOT A FINANCIAL EXPERT OR A LISCENSED FINANCIAL ADVISOR. LEGAL BILL IS A WIND-BAG WHO LIKES TO HEAR HIMSELF SPEAK. (SEE HIMSELF WRITE?)
THE ACCURACY OF LEGAL BILLS PREVIOUS PREDICTIONS (IF ANY) IS NO PREDICTOR OF FUTURE RESULTS.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pas2k, I agree.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:31 AM

pas2k, I agree.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:07 AM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Is La Selva Beach where you live? In the Monterey Bay? I had never heard of it so I looked it up. Sounds like a PERFECT place to live! You for Davis? (Please say NO!)
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked the real estate agent who represents the property we bought to send me a financial analysis of buying additional properties there as investments. It showed only a 2% ROI with no mortgage. The reason is simple. If you turn it over to the property management company to manager (i.e. book rentals, clean, repair, etc.) you pay 30-40% to them to manage the property. . Unfortunately, they have a captive audience. Meaning...when someone sees this beachfront resort, they call the 800 number to make reservations. They then book the individual properties. If you tried to do this yourself, how would you keep utilization up? The place would likely sit empty most of the time. (of course, I'm only talking about resort type investment properties here, not 2nd homes per se).

We decided not to rent our place out. For us it will be a retirement place and we didn't want renters trashing it.

MY DISCLAIMER: I too am not an investment advisor, but I play one on TV.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:20 AM

"I'LL BE BACK"
Yes this is where I live. It's great but getting crowded. Can't beat the weather and restaurants. The schools blow! I knew it would get crowded but I didn't think it would happen so soon. Traffic sucks. L.A. is spreading up here. I don't feel good about the changes. You know what Davis is proposing. Can't and won't deal with that. Our DMV registrations just tripled. Mine won't until next year. Gal friends 2002 Accord went from $250ish to $500/yr. She bought in November of 2002. Cut off was October. I bought in September! This will always be a hot Real Estate market but do I want to spend the rest of my life here? No. I will keep my house here of course. Like money in the bank. Better. Real Estate prices here are insane. Medium price of $550,000 and that's for a fixer. Bought my house 15 years ago for $150,000. It recently appraised for $650,000. I couldn't afford my own home now.

Quick Reply: Simplify/Downscale or buy more stuff?