S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Six-figure Honda S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/six-figure-honda-s2000-1192491/)

dlq04 03-13-2019 12:13 PM

Six-figure Honda S2000

Colin Comer, an editorial writer for the Hagerty magazine made a listing in the latest issue of cars under $45,000 that are the best bets for being instant classics and valuable. He lists the 2008-9 Honda S2000 CR as the number 1 moneymaker. He says the Club Racer version of the S2000 is currently selling in #2 condition for $40,000 and feels within 5 years it should be hitting $100,000! His reasoning is only 699 were built, its track ready right out the box, and meets all the special things collectors look for if it has low mileage and is in the bare bones version with no air conditioning, no radio, etc.

Could it happen? Well, I am reminded of the MGA Twin Cam in the 50s. One of the worst engines MG ever made. They couldn’t sell them because of engine failures and production stopped. What’s the most valuable MGA today? Of course, the Twin Cam. According to Motor Trend, production of the 2008 S2000 CR was to be limited to 1500 units and available only in the U.S. Sales never hit that number and in fact, they too had a hard time selling them.

So do you see it happening? In case you forgot what you get and don’t get here’s my summary from my notes back then:

This factory-tuned sports racer is lighter, stiffer and faster than the stock S2000. The S2000 CR has a much more aggressive look thanks to the aerodynamic body kit that features a front spoiler that wraps around the corners of the vehicle, rocker-panel extensions, a large rear wing and faired-in headrests. The car's handling has been made sharper with the use of quicker-ratio steering, firmer springs and shocks, sticky Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires and larger-width rear wheels. Extra body stiffness comes from additional bracing attached to the storage area for the folding cloth top, which has been removed. In its place, buyers get a removable aluminum hardtop. This change also results in weight savings of about 90 pounds. The changes to improve the S2000's track times do not come at the expense of creature comfort. The CR can be equipped with optional air conditioning and an AM/FM stereo with CD player. The sport seats are clad in cloth with unique yellow stitching, and the interior is accented with carbon-fiber-style trim panels and a special aluminum shifter.

S2000 CR Exclusive Features:
. Firmer, track-oriented suspension settings for springs, dampers and stabilizer bars.
. Front coil springs 37% stiffer and rears 17% over 2008 standard model.
. Front damping force increased 50% and rears 32% over 2008 standard model.
. Front stabilizer bar (mm): was 26.5 x t4.5 in 2007 to 27.2 x t5.3 in 2008 and to 28.6 x t4.5 in S2000CR (+1.4 x -0.8).
. Rear stabilizer bar (mm): Rear: 25.4 x t4.5 in 2007, no change 2008 except for S2000CR to 26.5 x t4.5 (+1.1 x 0.0).
. Structural enhancements include rear body brace and steering gearbox brace
. Quicker steering ratio of 13.8:1 (compared to 14.9:1)
. More aggressive tires using ultra-high performance Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires in place of RE050 tires; 215/45R17 front and 255/40R17 rear (a larger rear tire size by 10mm)
. Aerodynamic body kit for reduced coefficient of lift (Cl) and improved balance and reduce lift through large and specially-tuned front and rear spoilers. Lift is reduced by 70-80% depending on the roof configuration.
. Removable aluminum hardtop
. Sport muffler for a tuned exhaust note
. High-grip fabric seating surfaces with synthetic suede trim; black fabric seating surfaces with yellow stitching. Synthetic suede bolsters enhance lateral grip.
. Unique spherical aluminum shift knob rests 12.6 mm lower for a 6 percent reduction in shift stroke compared to the regular S2000 cylindrical shift knob (aluminum/leather wrapped). Additionally, shift load effort increases by 10 percent for even more direct feedback when engaging a gear.
. The S2000 CR instrument panel meters include a "peak-power indicator." When the engine is operating at peak power, a round, green light illuminates to the right of the digital speedometer.
. Omitted items for weight reduction: convertible soft top, audio system (optional factory install), air conditioning (optional factory install), spare tire and jack, and sound insulation. Relative to the base 2008 S2000, cumulative weight savings total 51 pounds (hardtop installed) and 99 pounds (hardtop removed).
. new wheel design in Kaiser Silver
. rear body brace has been added to the area previously occupied by the soft top, resulting in additional rigidity.
. Carbon fiber-style trim interior panels.

S2000 CR Weight Savings Summary
Eliminated components to save -51 pounds:
* Electrically-powered convertible soft top
* Sound insulation
* Spare tire and jack (have small tire repair kit instead)

Optional eliminated components to save -42 pounds:
* Air conditioning
* Audio system

User-Configurable components to save -48 pounds:
* Removable aluminum hardtop

Exclusive S2000CR components that added+ 42 pounds:
* Front and rear spoiler
* Rear body brace
* Steering box brace
* Roll bar cowlings and hardtop mounting covers
* Heavier suspension components
* Increased rear tire size
* Tire repair kit

S2000CR colors:
Rio Yellow Pearl + Yellow/Black fabric
Apex Blue Pearl + Yellow/Black fabric
Berlina Black + Yellow/Black fabric
Grand Prix White + Yellow/Black fabric

kgf3076 03-13-2019 02:34 PM

Well, as the owner of 2008 APB CR #400 of 699, I own the car to drive. Not to say it hasn't been pampered (complete paint correction, clear bra, upgraded audio, etc) but it's a car, it's fun to drive and it gets driven. So if it's worth $100k in 5 years, I might consider selling it, but right now? Nah, I'll drive and enjoy it.

S2KRAY 03-13-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076 (Post 24577332)
Well, as the owner of 2008 APB CR #400 of 699, I own the car to drive. Not to say it hasn't been pampered (complete paint correction, clear bra, upgraded audio, etc) but it's a car, it's fun to drive and it gets driven. So if it's worth $100k in 5 years, I might consider selling it, but right now? Nah, I'll drive and enjoy it.

I could not agree more. Garage Queens are not for me. I never could understand why people keep these cars hidden for decades. More $$$ yes, but driving them is what I prefer.

Legal Bill 03-13-2019 04:01 PM

This thread is so last week!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vi...s2000-1192299/

dlq04 03-13-2019 08:36 PM

^ That's funny Bill. I even posted on the thread. Here's my excuse..... I just got around to reading my throne material and it hit home reading it on paper..... cause people can say anything on the internet. Plus I was doing a service by filling in the background for those people who don't get the magazine.

jukngene 04-02-2019 01:01 PM

Another garage queen just sold for 6 figures on BAT, not an S2000, but an NSX. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-04-02

There may be hope for mine yet!

dlq04 04-02-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene (Post 24584977)
Another garage queen just sold for 6 figures on BAT, not an S2000, but an NSX. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-04-02

There may be hope for mine yet!

187 miles - - what a shame and now its probably to valuable to add any to it. I liked the remark, save the photos as a restoration guide.

jukngene 04-02-2019 01:51 PM

I heard the guy who bought it is a ‘flipper.” He has a lot in it to flip, IMO. If he wants to drive it, every seal, gasket, hose and belt needs to be replaced.

freq 04-02-2019 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene (Post 24585001)
I heard the guy who bought it is a ‘flipper.” He has a lot in it to flip, IMO. If he wants to drive it, every seal, gasket, hose and belt needs to be replaced.

Doesn't sound like he's flipping this one. Maybe he couldn't flip it if he tried.

@SterlingSackey and all who asked about the next life for this car: Like I said in a previous post, nobody but nobody will be buying this car to drive. For those who can’t understand that one out of many thousands of NSX’s can be a preserved historical piece for generations to come, I can’t help you. I have an NSX to drive, and I drive it a lot. This one will be handed down to my kids and maybe they will hand it down to theirs. At one point in time there might be no “good” examples left of this model and they will have a such a masterpiece of automotive history. And if life deals them a situation whereby they need to sell it, they might not ever get the “appropriate” ROI on this car had their father tied up (more) funds in a trust, but I can tell you one thing, having this car in my garage to look at and show my like-minded gear-head friends, as opposed to looking at an investment portfolio spreadsheet or staring at your computer screen on how your stocks are doing on the DOW, I’ll take this purchase and roll the dice into the unknown any day of the week.

Legal Bill 04-02-2019 05:35 PM

"having this car in my garage to look at and show my like-minded gear-head friends, as opposed to looking at an investment portfolio spreadsheet or staring at your computer screen on how your stocks are doing on the DOW, I’ll take this purchase and roll the dice into the unknown any day of the week."

^ Amen.