S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

so how's your job?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts
Default so how's your job?

an interesting thought.

people use the phrase, "married to your job" etc..

do people tell you to take a break and take some time off?

yeah I work hard and lots of hours but I really do enjoy it.
it's sort of the classic drama and struggle, somewhere between man vs machine and man vs nature.

why do you climb it?
becuase it's there.

why do you fix it?
becuase it doesn't work...

and when it's really broken, i do get really annoyed and it gets personal, [i] I have to fix it/[i]
It almost becomes and epic struggle. I will succeed. I will make it work.

mind you working with "some" of the people,
well you can keep that part thank you

Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,626 Posts

My job is just a job. Always has been. It's a paycheck and helps to pay the bills. I won't get rich, but I am a productive member of society.

I've never been married to my job never worked a ton of hours, never wanted to. No one needs to tell me to take a break from work.

This all works for me. This job and my previous ones have allowed me to be available for family needs, and that's important to me.

Hindsight is 20/20. If I had it to do over again, furthering my education would have to be considered. I'd likely have to be more "career oriented." Middle class jobs with benefits are disappearing at a rapid rate. I'm hoping to hang on to mine until I can say ............see ya!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I enjoy what I'm doing and plan to keep at it for a few more years. The +1 is doing very well. He will be leaving his current job shortly for another one with the same company. It is a better fit for him and he will be working with someone who has become a good friend as well. The peeps where he is now will not be happy, however. He's pretty much the go-to guy there. He told his boss this morning, who is in a state of shock at the moment.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I like my "job" so much I do it for free. Up this morning to sub for another woman who does the same job. I only work 4 hours a week. I like that, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Feb 22 2011, 09:20 AM
I like my "job" so much I do it for free. Up this morning to sub for another woman who does the same job. I only work 4 hours a week. I like that, too.
I could get used to four hours a week too.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I LOVE my job. It is my career. I love it even more since +1 retired! I like being a stay at home person, but when I was working I worked 24/7 was on call and worked nights, weekends, holidays and even while I was "on vacation." It was at one time pretty much my life. However, when I retired, I found my true love. I enjoy cooking and never had the time until I retired. I enjoy always having a fairly clean house, I enjoy getting up when I want to and staying up as late as I like, I enjoy being able to go when I want to go, and stay when I want to stay. I uber enjoy getting to spend my time with my +1 and we both love going out to lunch, taking walks together, just hanging out together. It took me several months to orient myself after retirement, but I've never for one second wanted to go back to my old job.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 AM

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Wants Val's job but wants to skip the cooking part.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 22 2011, 10:31 AM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Wants Val's job but wants to skip the cooking part.
Sorry, Lainey. A hungry man comes with the job. I'm really lucky that Jim's game enough to try all my recipes and he never complains. He really likes that cooking part.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=valentine,Feb 22 2011, 10:33 AM] Sorry, Lainey.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I really enjoy my job. I've been working with the same systems for almost ten years now and I know them inside and out. And they are kind of specialized. The medical records system in particular involves some document imaging expertise that is not very common.

So the work is good, pay is competative, staff and managers in my user departments are all pretty sharp and give me great reviews, my boss leaves me free to do what I think best but is always there when I need other resources, and my hours are flexible.

Not too crazy getting called in the middle of the night but that goes with the territory.

Quick Reply: so how's your job?