S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So would you apply?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default So would you apply?

Found this on Craig's list....they were looking for office support staff, manager, bookkeeper, etc.

You must have two year's experience and be ready to start work tomorrow, be the type of person who realizes that in a recession you may have to make concessions about pay, benefits and location of the job and you must be willing to try a job on a temporary basis for a few weeks before it becomes permanent.
These positions offer a foot in the door of a great company and anyone willing to be flexible now will be rewarded with a great career and super benefits as the economy improves.

I guess if you are desperate, this job might be one you apply for. However, it appears they are looking for desperate people they can pay cheap wages to, then they can kick them to the curb after a few weeks and get new people.

I realize competition for employment is really tough, and employers have many experienced people to chose from, however, something about this ad makes me

Would you apply?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

You never know. Ray Kroc's secretary retired a multimillionaire because she was willing to take shares of stock in a startup named "McDonald's" when Kroc didn't have the cash to pay her. Many of the "Microsoft Millionaires" worked for stock options.

I don't know. It could be nothing, but it could be something worth looking into.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 AM

If I didn't have a job, maybe I'd apply. As far as having a job with concessions to pay/benefits due to the economy, I'm already there. The devil I know may be better than the one I don't in this case.

To leave one job for such a vague one in this economy doesn't make sense to me.

Cragi's list has also made note of various job scams out there...
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Apr 22 2010, 08:36 AM
You must have two year's experience

Would you apply?
No...because they punctuated years' incorrectly... It's a pretty awful ad.... kinda sounds like, "Well, if I make money, then you get paid....oh, and you'll be based out of my basement for the first few weeks, but if we start to make money, you'll be relocated to the Northwest Territories - and bring a toilet brush and Lysol when you report...". Guess I'd have to know what TYPE of business it was - obviously a start-up - before I'd apply.... and, yes, I would have to be desperate.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=rjosey8385,Apr 22 2010, 11:18 AM] No...because they punctuated years' incorrectly...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sketchy to say the least.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Most likely the ad is a scam, but as I said before, you never know.

The following is the text from a help wanted ad placed in London newspapers by Ernest Schackelton before his Antartic expedition in 1914. I've read that the ad was an overwhelming success and Schackelton got all the men he needed.

"MEN WANTED FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES,
BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS,
CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOR AND
RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS."
Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 911 Likes on 538 Posts

Lainey's post about the job listing on craigslist got me curious.

I briefly skimmed some of the job postings in our area.

Here is one that seems to be quite physically demanding.

"Physical Demands:
While fulfilling the responsibilities of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl."

Do you think that you would qualify for this job?

Oh, BTW, it is for a Senior Financial Analyst.

The job has many other qualifications listed, too.

I do think that I would qualify for the physical demands of that job, but I doubt that I would qualify for many of the other demands.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue,Apr 22 2010, 05:36 PM
The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl."
hmmm sounds like some of our management review meetings

and I bet Kroc's secretary had a real good look at what she was signing into.
there was an article in the boston globe just the other day about companies willing to exploit the workforce while they can.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Apr 22 2010, 09:39 PM
there was an article in the boston globe just the other day about companies willing to exploit the workforce while they can.
The employers are in the driver's seat right now, I'll be glad when that swings in the other direction.

Quick Reply: So would you apply?