So you think nothing good ever came out of Mississippi? - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Vintage Owners
Reload this Page >

So you think nothing good ever came out of Mississippi?

Notices
S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

So you think nothing good ever came out of Mississippi?

Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM

Let's see. New Jersey has:

-The most toxic waste superfund cleanup sites in the nation
-The highest real estate taxes of any state in the nation
-The highest population density of any state in the nation (second only to Washington D.C.)
-The most diners of any state in the nation
-The highest density of shopping malls in a 25 sq mile radius.
-New Jersey is third among the states with the longest commutes. 31.2 minutes on average in NJ, 32.4 minutes in Maryland and 32.6 minutes in New York.
-New Jersey has no professional sports teams of its own but hosts two New York football teams, neither of which have had a winning season.
-New Jersey has the highest foreclosure rate of any state in the nation. One in every 605 properties was in some stage of foreclosure in 2018 (Experian)

I don't know why we stay here either.

Last edited by ralper; 01-14-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Interesting reading on the molasses flood. I had never heard about it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM
tof

Rob, New Jersey is a very pretty state once you get out of Newark. And there is so much within easy driving distance, from NYC to Philadelphia to sales-tax-free shopping in Delaware. I would consider living there if the weather was more like it is down here. With things going the way they are, maybe in a few years it will be.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tof View Post
Rob, New Jersey is a very pretty state once you get out of Newark. And there is so much within easy driving distance, from NYC to Philadelphia to sales-tax-free shopping in Delaware. I would consider living there if the weather was more like it is down here. With things going the way they are, maybe in a few years it will be.
Actually, Newark is coming back as is Hoboken, Jersey City and West New York. As the real estate prices in Manhattan continue to skyrocket those New Jersey towns get better and better, but more expensive. Newark is an interesting town. Some of the old office buildings are being rehabilitated and there is a lot of new construction going on there. The more rural and suburban parts of New Jersey are beautiful but boring. Newark, Morristown and some of the other cities are much more exciting and interesting. But then, I like cities and feel a bit lost here in the suburbs.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
tof

If you want to see a city at its worst, ride through on Amtrak. I rode through Newark a few years ago and it was pretty bad, but looked like a garden compared to Baltimore.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy View Post
Ohio

President William Henry Harrison
President Ulysses S. Grant
President Rutherford B. Hayes
President James A. Garfield
President Benjamin Harrison
President William McKinley
President William Howard Taft
President Warren G. Harding
We, Ohio are sorry for the above!
That is quite a crew especially Tippacanoe….

Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Yeah, those New York/North Jersey people just don't understand. We don't live in Tony Soprano land south of Trenton. I think I proved that to the folks that came to SF10.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Forget The Blues or the fact that most NASA rocket engines are tested here. There are some much more important contributions from the Magnolia State.

-Shoes sold in pairs. Back in the day, all shoes were the same. The idea of a left and right shoe is generally credited to a Pennsylvania man. But the first store to sell shoes in R and L pairs was in Vicksburg, MS.
-Vicksburg is also the first place where Coca Cola was bottled. It was invented in Atlanta, but was first bottled in Mississippi in 1894, back when it still contained cocaine and was mainly consumed as a medicinal tonic.
-Speaking of soft drinks, Barq's was invented by Edward Barq in Biloxi.
-Jackson hosts the US International Ballet Competition. Yes, it's a thing and dancers from around the world compete.
-Teddy Rooseverl famously refused to shoot a bear tied to a tree by his party, and thus the Teddy Bear was born (sort of), in Sharkey County, MS where the hunt took place.
-The soft toilet seat was invented and patented by David Harrison of Columbus, Mississippi. You're welcome, America.

So what oddities has your state contributed to America?

The Maine ice circle beats all of that.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 PM

be hard to find after monday bill.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Yeah, those New York/North Jersey people just don't understand. We don't live in Tony Soprano land south of Trenton. I think I proved that to the folks that came to SF10.
Hey, us New York/Northern Jersey people have it right. We like the action and noise. It's way too quiet in the south.