S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes dreams do come true.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default Sometimes dreams do come true.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Many of you know my son Adam. You’ve watched him grow up. He started coming to meets with me when he was 8 years old and now he’s a senior at Virginia Tech set to graduate in May. He is graduating with a degree mechanical engineering and a minor in industrial design.

For as long as any of us can remember he’s wanted to be a mechanical engineer. Both Liz and I think that a lot of this is because we own an S2000. Adam was 8 when we got it and he and I both grew up with it. Anything that ever been done to it, from waxing to oil changes to changing the spark plugs we’ve done as a team. That and our garden tractor, which he as a teenager kept running, provided the incentive for a career in engineering.

For a lot of years we’ve driven Hondas. Long before Adam was born we (Liz and I) became loyal Honda fans. Growing up, a lot of that rubbed off on Adam. Over the years he’s decided that Honda is one of the premier engineering company, a great place for an engineer to work, learn and grow. It has long been his dream to work for Honda.

With graduation knocking at his door, Adam started looking for a job. He spend time going to job fairs, sending our resumes and networking. This fall he got a few calls from prospective employers and participated in telephone interviews. One of the calls was from American Honda.

Two weeks ago American Honda flew him to Ohio for an interview. He was very impressed with everything he saw and became even more convinced that Honda is the company to work for. Last week he got a call from the HR department telling him that the engineering team hadn’t yet made up it mind. Two days ago he got a call from the same woman offering him the job. He was and is thrilled. He hasn’t slept for two days already. As you can imagine, it didn't take him long to accept the position.

He is going to be doing exactly what he wanted to be doing. He is going to be on the R & D team working on harmonics and vibrations. Everything about the job and the company thrills him.

You see, sometimes dreams do come true.
The following 2 users liked this post by ralper:
alSpeed2k (06-28-2018), dwb993 (02-06-2024)

Popular Reply

07-21-2022, 10:47 AM
ralper

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Chapter 3-Back to Honda

Adam had been with Tesla for a full year. It was a very difficult place to work. He was rarely home more than 1 or 2 nights a week, and the work day never seemed to end. Tesla, like many new companies wasn't well organized and there was much confusion. All in all, aside from the pay, Adam wasn't very happy there.

After leaving Honda a year ago, Adam did stay in touch with many of the people there. And, they'd call him, sometimes socially and sometimes to get answers to problems. When he mentioned that he wasn't happy at Tesla they invited him back. Honda had lost a number of quality people over the last two years. Partly because they had fallen behind and partly because their pay scale was not up to date. Realizing that they had to catch up, they rethought their priorities. Because they liked Adam and were impressed with his work, and because of the knowledge and experience he bring with him they offered to at the very least match the pay he was getting from Tesla and give him increased benefits. He is rejoining the firm as the ADAS Section Chief and will be working in the area of driver assist with a team of engineers. He starts on August 8th and is looking forward to it.

Liz and I are quite happy about this. We knew for a while that he wasn't happy at Tesla and now he'll be only an 8 hour car drive away. Once more it'll be possible to visit him for a three day weekend without doing months of advanced planning, and he'll be able to come home for a visit every now and again.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Congrats to Adam,and both of his parents.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 910 Likes on 538 Posts

Rob, that is wonderful news for Adam!

Will he be working in Marysville, OH?

That is right in our backyard!

Let us know if you will be coming to Marysville any time soon and maybe we can get together!

Tell Adam "Congratulations" from Dennis and me!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Great news.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Great news for Adam and you! Couldn't have happened to a nicer family.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I fondly look back to that first "real" job coming out of school.
Tell Adam congrats!! a lot of effort goes into that engineering degree.
This is why he sat through Diffie Q's linear algebra, and Dynamics!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

They really do, Rob...tell Adam congratulations from me. That is very exciting!!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

That is great Rob, I'm excited for him. Congrats.
Levi
Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

Congratulations to Adam. You and Liz did a great job raising him Rob.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations to Adam, and your family!

Quick Reply: Sometimes dreams do come true.