S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sometimes dreams do come true.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Rob,
Please allow an old engineer to pass along some advice. strictly my opinion.
Adam, avoid the dark side. You studied for a long time to learn the things you have.
Practice them for a while. Become proficient and understand why engineering is hard.
Make mistakes, and push the window a little.
Project management really is not all that hard and once on that path if you are halfway good at it, you will not be working as an engineer.
You'll be doing tracking books and spreadsheets and counting labor hours.
You can always make that transition. coming back into engineering once you've gone to the dark side is much harder.
after a few years of program management, you can't come back.
Interesting advice. My son has been working for Google and working up the ladder, starting for two summers as a paid intern. He's been there after getting his PhD, for another four years. He has learned what you're saying and wants to keep his hand in coding after receiving many promotions. He's gone as high as he wants to go or he thinks it will be all meetings and reviews, etc. and not enough hands-on which is what he loves. He is a project leader under a boss who appreciates Kyle's talents and that he wants to keep his hands in it, while the boss is more the meeting type, so it seems like it should work out fine. They have total respect for each other's talents. (Yeah, I had to brag.)

Last edited by Kyras; 06-28-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

^^^
Congrats,Patty,you deserve to be proud of both your kids.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
^^^
Congrats,Patty,you deserve to be proud of both your kids.
Thank you, Emil. My daughter just finally got a job offer at the Denver Zoo. She's been applying there for 9 months and going to interviews, after she and her boyfriend moved to Denver for his zoo job last September. (They both were zookeepers at the Sacramento Zoo.) Every time she was either overqualified for a temporary position, someone edged her out with more specific animal experience or was a current temp at the zoo. This time she'll be with the carnivores while a woman is out on medical leave for 3 months. She's hoping that this finally gets her in the door to stay. She's been volunteering there all along and even took a job she hated at Camp Bow Wow in the meantime. I took these photos of her when I went to cheer her up in May as she got off work. She told me she cried she hated the job so much. I totally understood as I had a job with Lockheed that I felt the same way about.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Just a quick update (also because I'm very proud of Adam). He has been with Honda slightly longer than a year now. He's very happy with the company and it appears that the company is happy with him. He just got his first review and he was very happy with the results. He wants to grow to the position of Project Manager, and they are letting him take over a small project in order to get experience. All in all, Adam and Honda seem to be a very good match.

Honda closes for the July 4th week, so he is flying out to Reno to spend a few days with his brother, after that he's flying here to spend a few days with us. Liz and I can't wait to see him.
Rob, make sure to remind Adam to come to Mid-Ohio for the race and look us up. There will be about 30 S2000's there.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

BTW, Rob, can Adam hook me up with some NOS parts for my 79 Accord? A new front carpet kit in Rose Red would be awesome.

But seriously, I hope that he understands that project management is a lot like pushing a rope or herding cats.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Chapter Two

Adam started at Honda a little more than 3 years ago. His first assignment was in Engines working on Noise, Vibrations and Harmonics. He did very well in that department and learned an awful lot about how engines come together and work. After about a year and a quarter, Adam transferred to Driver Assist. Because of his background in Engines, he worked on projects such as adaptive cruise control and other of the current driver-assist features that Honda is putting in their cars. Over time he learned a great deal. Honda was a good place for him to work, but he started to feel like it was time for a change. Wanting to stay in the automotive field, he sent out resumes to various car companies.

A little more than a month ago he got a response from Tesla. After a few weeks of interviews, he was given the job. His last day at Honda was March 29th. The people at Honda were sorry to see him go, and he is sad about leaving Honda, but he felt he needed to make this career change and felt that companies like Tesla represent the future. Honda is an automobile company whereas Tesla is thought of as a technology company.

Last week he flew out to Fremont, California, where he'll be working and found a free-standing house to rent. This weekend he driving here to bring back my MG (unfortunately he hasn't had a chance to finish it) and staying for a day. It'll be good to see him as except for Sunday night Zooms we haven't seen him in a year and a half. Next weekend he and a few friends are driving to California. He's renting a truck and driving his BMW. He's got about 4 friends going with him so they'll take turns driving the truck and the BMW.

He starts at Tesla at the end of the month. He's excited. More to follow.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:35 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Wow, nice! I thought Tesla was relocating to TX. Or maybe just part of it?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:39 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Wow, nice! I thought Tesla was relocating to TX. Or maybe just part of it?
Tesla is relocating part of it's manufacturing to Texas, but the R&D and engineering is staying in Fremont, CA.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Wish Adam all the best.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Received 1,400 Likes on 763 Posts

That's great news for Adam, Rob! Making a career move is a major decision, but the future with Tesla should be a winner. He's come a long way from this guy in 2004:

Quick Reply: Sometimes dreams do come true.