S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Spoilers - how do they effect you?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Spoilers - how do they effect you?

My, oh my, but I hate them like you would not believe. I totally refuse to watch anything if I already know how it ends. I can't be the only one who feels that way - - or maybe I am.

The hockey playoff's drive me nuts!! Generally there are two games on every night and I record both because I want to see both! Try as I might by fast forwarding through period breaks of the game I'm watching, the damn announcers just can't wait to tell me about the game I am recording. Sometimes I make it without seeing or hearing the score. But, then sometimes out of the blue in the middle of the game I'm watching they will jump in to tell me about the other. I blow my top when that happens.

And it is not just hockey. It happens in auto racing. It happens in tv series that I tape.

My wife thinks I'm nuts at times due to how I react. But it seems natural to me. They have just taken out all the enjoyment of watching the show. If I just wanted to know the scores or outcomes I would look it up.

I don't even watch trailers of upcoming shows in a series. I delete or change channels because to me they are spoilers.

How about you?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same but especially for sports (soccer, F1). A film, or serie, I can still watch it with a minor spoil or with an idea of how it ends if it is good.
For sports, it's terrible, If I know the score of a soccer match, and I still watch it, I am not enjoying it as I am just waiting for the goals. For F1, it is even worse, I always get spoiled by social media or friends before having the time to watch a replay (those replays on websites with spoilers when you click on it !)
Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I assume you'd never watch a movie made from a book you've read or based on an historical event? Spoiler: Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg failed so watching the great Ted Turner film is a waste.

In many cases the outcome is unimportant, it's the process. On the other hand stuff like soccer you may as well know the score first so you can be prepared for the 1 or 3 goals actually scored in the game. No point in watching -- and waiting -- for goals in soccer or hockey. Just fast forward to that time. Nothing else happens in soccer and the first team to score goes into prevent defense for the rest of the game. At least there are sometimes some good fights in hockey. Just fast forward until you see the gloves come off or the sticks come up and even the highest scoring hockey game can be seen in 90 seconds.

-- Chuck
Old 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It is very tough with sports. Once the game is won or lost, it's on to the rest of the series for both teams, or vacation and the next series. There are now 100 new things to discuss.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I had a spoiler for the S, but I never put it on. Oh, wait. Wrong spoiler.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
I had a spoiler for the S, but I never put it on. Oh, wait. Wrong spoiler.

I'd rather someone not tell me "the butler did it" if I'm watching a movie or reading a book. I'm not a sports fan, but if I were, I'd rather be surprised by the outcome of a game/event vs hearing a "spoiler" With news 24/7, and the internet and social media, it's hard to avoid spoilers.

If I'm watching a movie that's based on a book I read, it's OK if I know the ending ahead of time. The movies often offer a totally different 'take" (no pun intended)/perspective than the book does.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I stream MotoGP motorcycle racing. Typically watch it a day or two after the race. I've had to un-follow Facebook feeds and friends so as not to know the result ahead of time. Not as much fun to watch a hotly contested battle where several riders have the opportunity to win in the final laps when you already know the outcome.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I don't even watch trailers of upcoming shows in a series. I delete or change channels because to me they are spoilers.
My wife hates when I skip the previews, but like you, I find it takes away from the show. Especially movie previews where they show the best scenes/jokes in the trailer. I would prefer to have the full impact of the unexpected in the moment.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
My wife hates when I skip the previews, but like you, I find it takes away from the show. Especially movie previews where they show the best scenes/jokes in the trailer. I would prefer to have the full impact of the unexpected in the moment.
Good to hear I am not alone.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

In answer to your initial question, Dave, not at all! Even when I watch live sports such as college basketball or football, I just watch the last 2 minutes or so, if at ll.

Quick Reply: Spoilers - how do they effect you?