S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Spring Fling '06 Activities/T-shirts

Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Fling '06 Activities/T-shirts

UPDATED 3/17/06 by MsPerky

Dinner Fri night:

Need to determine where.

Dinner Sat night:

Need to determine where. Arrangements are in the works to have dinner one evening at a local winery, if possible. Not sure which one yet (Fri or Sat).

Parade Laps at Watkins Glen:
This is on!! And not to be missed...Doug (Triple-H) has used his connections to arrange for us to be part of a group doing parade laps (three?) at WG on Sat. Most attendees have indicated an interest in this. But it means that a Sat drive (at least a long one) will probably not be possible for those going to WG, since the laps are in the middle of the day (noonish). Plus there are other things going on at the track that peeps may want to attend. Doug will finish up the arrangements a week ahead, but everyone will pay at the door when we go ($25).

Driving Tour of the Original Watkins Glen Course:

Time permitting (on Sat?) Triple-H (Doug) may take us on a tour of the original racecourse.

Winery Tours:

Also working on tours of local wineries around other activities.

Seminars:

May not have time for these - to be determined.

A Drive in There Somewhere:

Perhaps Sun morning for those staying over or leaving later in the day. Possible drive group leaders: JonasM; Triple-H; Eric N

T-Shirts/Magnets:

Rob (ralper) will be working with Sheila, zcarcrazy's (Burt's) wife, to design and print the t-shirts and magnets.

Rob's earlier comments on seminars:

Deb and I were talking earlier today about the possibility of having a few seminars at Spring Fling '06. The seminars were a success at the past Spring Fling, and we thought we'd repeat them.

The seminars are typically 20 minute sessions in which the speaker presents his or her topic and then opens the discussion to questions and answers. We'd probably arrange for 4 or 5 seminars for a total of about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The seminars would take place on Saturday afternoon after the drive.

The first thing we'd like to know is if all of you want to attend these seminars. There is an awful lot of interesting things to do up in Watkins Glen and there may not be enough time to do it all. First, please let us know if you'd like to attend the seminars.

Secondly, what topics would you like to hear about? Last year we had a few very good ones. I'd ask Matt_inVA to repeat his "Defensive Driving" seminar. It was very good, and very valuable. I'd also as Dennis to work with Roy and Tom on a seminar on photography. The three of them are very talented photographers and most of us can use as much help as we can get.

Some of the other topics that we might consider are "Car Care, washing and waxing" (Legal Bill did a great job with this one last year). Perhaps we can get Dave dlq04 to give us a history of the track at Watkins Glen, or perhaps we can get Marco and Doug to give us a seminar on "High performance driving and racing".

We are not limited to those topics. If you or your +1 has a special talent that you'd like to present that would be valuable to the Vintage community, by all means, just post it here. It can be car oriented, but it doesn't have to be. The only requirement is that it be a topic that Vintage members would be interested in hearing. If there is a topic that you like to hear about, just ask. With all of the talent in Vintage, I'm sure someone can do it.

So, we need two things. First, tell us if you'd like to attend the seminars, and second, tell us the topics you'd like to hear about (or the topic you'd like to present).

Thanks.

This is Doug's post:

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 18 2005, 02:11 PM
Watkins Glen Raceway
Working on a possible visit to the raceway and other activities there.
I'm not sure I would advertise this feature. Unless you are going to buy tickets to an event I don't see anyway you are going to pull off any activities there. The schedule for The Glen is basically filled for everyday of the summer.

You can add my name to the list of confirmed people, the only reason I will not make it is if there is a schedule conflict with a driving school.

As far as Wineries let me just say WAGNER!!!
Wagner makes great wines, they have a huge outside deck and do lots of special parties in the summer out there. In addition, many people will be extremely interested to know Wagner is not just a winery, they are also a brewcrafter, the Wagner Valley line of beers are extraordinary - just ask Marco, gosh knows I have shared plenty of them with him.

Let me know how else I can help ya, and clearly, I suspect you should add to your list the following activity.
Parade Laps around the original street race course.
I will be happy to lead and show people the original 6.6 mile track that is now public roads.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:02 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 19 2005, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure I would advertise this feature. Unless you are going to buy tickets to an event I don't see anyway you are going to pull off any activities there. The schedule for The Glen is basically filled for everyday of the summer.

You can add my name to the list of confirmed people, the only reason I will not make it is if there is a schedule conflict with a driving school.

As far as Wineries let me just say WAGNER!!!
Wagner makes great wines, they have a huge outside deck and do lots of special parties in the summer out there. In addition, many people will be extremely interested to know Wagner is not just a winery, they are also a brewcrafter, the Wagner Valley line of beers are extraordinary - just ask Marco, gosh knows I have shared plenty of them with him.

Let me know how else I can help ya, and clearly, I suspect you should add to your list the following activity.
Parade Laps around the original street race course.
I will be happy to lead and show people the original 6.6 mile track that is now public roads.
Wagner! Their ESB is particularly good!

I've got Wagner on my list of places to go when we map out the possible tours for Sat afternoon.

JonasM
Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 19 2005, 07:59 AM
No, I'm saving Vintage from a Berline by driving it in the opposite direction...

Back to the beer - I have to admit, as much as I like Creemore - Upstate NY has some amazing beers to offer - some of which eclipse Creemore imo.

I have been very lucky at to have been able to preview many with Doug.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

OK, Doug...I'll substitute a drive around the old course for a trip around the raceway. Didn't know about the activities there, but I can see that it would be difficult. Could that tour be incorporated into the planned drive somehow? Or would it be separate? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Also, definitely put me down as a drive group leader. I'm pretty familiar with the area.

JonasM
Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 AM

Will do...thanks. If we have the full 40 cars, we will need four group leaders. One down, three to go!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 19 2005, 09:34 AM
Will do...thanks. If we have the full 40 cars, we will need four group leaders. One down, three to go!
Deb-

I don't know the area well enough to be a comfortable group leader (and it is a bit too far to do a 'pre-run')...... but I'll be glad to be a 'caboose'
Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 AM

^ And a very good one you are, too! Thanks...
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 19 2005, 08:22 AM
OK, Doug...I'll substitute a drive around the old course for a trip around the raceway. Could that tour be incorporated into the planned drive somehow? Or would it be separate? Thanks for the heads up.
Let's see, the answer would be no, yes and maybe...

The laps around the old course could be worked into the drive, but in all honesty it might restrict the options the main drive has if it is kept as one thing. Keep in mind the old course is right next to where people are staying so it could easily be a separate activity. And as a side note, I believe it should be a separate activity so a driver's meeting can be had just before. These are public roads and Watkins Glen does have police officers, and trust me, we are not the first group of automotive enthusiasts who have had the idea of going around the old course.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 19 2005, 08:34 AM
I'm thinking me being one is sort of a given...

Out of curiosity, what is your plan in coming up with a tour route?

Quick Reply: Spring Fling '06 Activities/T-shirts