S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Stalling when coming to a stop

Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Stalling when coming to a stop

Sunday after filling up with Exxon gas at the Tom Catt Run on Saturday, I experienced an episode of stalling about five times when coming to a stop. After refueling, and adding Lucas Fuel Treatment. The problem went away. I continued on to S2K Days and have driving about 1,500 miles since without a problem. Any thoughts?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Sounds like bad gas (er... gasoline). Fuel treatment "fix" it, somehow.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Fuel treatment? I know they sell it but why? Fresh fuel is all ya need. Sketchy fuel in the tank? Is Exxon 91 or 93 octane (just curious).

-- Chuck
Old 06-23-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

I've experienced the same thing.

When it happened in my truck when up north I turned to Lucas Fuel Treatment to clean the injectors and that solved the problem. Since then I bought a large bottle of the cleaner and refill the smaller measured bottle. I add it to the gasoline two or three times a year. No repeat issues.

It happens to my MG on very hot/humid days. When it happens or is about to happen I give it extra fuel by pulling the choke. I'm fairly sure the issue with the MG is a combo of the crap gas they sell plus heat from the exhaust manifold overheating the fuel bowls on the SU's. I plan to have the exhaust manifold ceramic coated both inside and outside after the driving season is over. Its inexpensive to do and a very effective old hot roders trick.

When it comes to the S2000, its sounds like you got some crap gas, likely from a dirty underground storage unit and Lucas solved your one time issue. Octane number shouldn't make any difference at all.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Sorry to hear that Matt. I filled up at the same station and didn't have any problems.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Hope it was just bad gas, Matt. We've had two weird experiences with the S while on road trips. One the engine kept revving when idling. It would rev properly when driving. That "fixed" itself a short time later, but thanks to Emile for linking us to a thread that discussed cleaning something under the hood. Have not had that issue since. Another time the S was running fine, started it up after a rest room stop and it seemed starved for fuel. I think Rick just revved the engine and it cleared it...weird.

We likely picked up some bad gas while on our SC trip, in the Jeep. We needed restrooms and fuel. A local establishment had a big awning out that advised of CLEAN Restrooms. Oh Man, they were awful. The gas pumps were old antiquated equipment. Rick put some fuel in the car and before long it felt like we were having weird transmission issues or something. Not stalling, just not running right. Thankfully, the next tank of gas seemed to remedy the situation. No issues since.

Good luck Matt. Vehicle issues on a road trip, not fun!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it possible that you overfilled your tank? If so, this may have been the cause of your hesitations.

By adding more fuel after the nozzles initial shut off (filling to the brim or topping off) can cause damage to evaporative emissions system or render it inoperable. “Topping Off” may cause fuel to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vapor. By digesting the fuel rather than vapors will cause engine stalls until it purges itself of fuel, or it is replaced.

Gary
Old 06-23-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I had a similar problem a number of years back. Presumed it was water in the gas, put a small bottle of 97% isopropyl on the gas, and it solved the problem. (Alcohol is water soluble and the pint bottle caused no lasting issues with the fuel system. Bad gas is my guess, but I could be wrong, and it wouldn't even be the first time today.

Safe travels!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
I've experienced the same thing.

When it happened in my truck when up north I turned to Lucas Fuel Treatment to clean the injectors and that solved the problem. Since then I bought a large bottle of the cleaner and refill the smaller measured bottle. I add it to the gasoline two or three times a year. No repeat issues.

It happens to my MG on very hot/humid days. When it happens or is about to happen I give it extra fuel by pulling the choke. I'm fairly sure the issue with the MG is a combo of the crap gas they sell plus heat from the exhaust manifold overheating the fuel bowls on the SU's. I plan to have the exhaust manifold ceramic coated both inside and outside after the driving season is over. Its inexpensive to do and a very effective old hot roders trick.

When it comes to the S2000, its sounds like you got some crap gas, likely from a dirty underground storage unit and Lucas solved your one time issue. Octane number shouldn't make any difference at all.
Dave,
I do the same thing. I have a big bottle at home and refill the small bottle, which I had with me which I added when I refueled after the episode. Over a thousand miles later and it has not happened since.

I am guessing that in your MG you may experience "vapor lock".
Old 06-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Hope it was just bad gas,

I think that it must have been. As I have not had the problem since adding Lucas Fuel Injector treatment.

. We needed restrooms and fuel. A local establishment had a big awning out that advised of CLEAN Restrooms. Oh Man, they were awful.

You apparently failed to get the hint? That was NOT an advertisement, it was instructions to CLEAN the restrooms. ;-) :-P

Good luck Matt. Vehicle issues on a road trip, not fun!
I agree

Quick Reply: Stalling when coming to a stop