S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Stress, the economy and what it does to people

Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default Stress, the economy and what it does to people

This recession has been stressful for many. Many folks (me included) have spent some sleepless nights worried about employment situations. It's still too quiet where I work and I won't be surprised to get reduced hours again next year. Other economic situations have surfaced, but we are weathering the storm.

An online article spoke of how much stress folks are feeling. Worried about their jobs, being pushed to do more at their jobs, losing jobs, taking care of kids at the same time as dealing with aging parents. Lots going on for folks.

This morning I heard that the owner of a business I have been doing business with for 25+ years passed away. His business, like many, has had a downturn in the last year or so. He had family members and long time employees working for him. He truly cared about his employees ( don't see that too often) and agonized about lay offs. I know this because he spoke to me about it.

This man was the nicest guy in the world. Everyone who knew him spoke highly of him.

I think he was in his early to mid 60's at best, and I don't know if he did/didn't have any physical issues, but he's gone way too soon. I obviously have no inside information, but I'd find it hard to believe that stress didn't play a huge part here. I'm still hoping the report of his death turns out to be a "waterfront rumor."

I think stress truly can kill.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 4,944 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Generally people of my generation handle stress pretty good in my opinion. First off we understood our parents were able to deal with all the stress of WWII and the depresssion. That made good role models. We spent a great deal of our time growing up with restrictions on one hand (tough parents and teachers) and constant interaction with playmates (neighborhood bullies, etc.). In my opinion, today's children have just the opposite experience. The parents let them get away with everything but murder and they spend way too much time with IPods and computer games, etc. without learning how to deal with lifes problems. Does that make any sense?

I find myself placing way to much importance on stuff. Yet in the back of my mind I know it's family, love, friends, animals, etc. that are really at the heart of happiness. I often tell myself that I could be just as happy without all the stuff and renting a room if it came to that. Yes, I am very comfortable with the way things are and I hope then don't change but if they did I also know I could change with the circumstances.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 AM

I hear what you are saying, but I think some of the stresses of today are different. Granted many of our stresses, and pushing oneself to do something may be because of the life styles we've grown accustomed to. We can all learn to make do with less. I also agree that there are a lot of spoiled bratty kids out there who have no clue as to how to earn their own way.

On the other hand, many folks have never been put into the situations that they are being shoved into now. I'm not talking about the spoiled brats, I'm speaking more of my generation and some yours who are still working. Bosses don't give two cents for their employees. If you don't like things, there is the door. They are pushing more and more on employees and stress levels rise and family lives DO suffer.

We have many in the "sandwich" generation. Still raising their kids, helping out with their parents, and maybe even grandkids, all the while, their employers are piling more work on them since they've had to cut costs and employees.

I recall reading an article on CNN. They were interviewing folks as to how they were doing in the economy. They interviewed a woman about my age group. Her comment was that at this age, she didn't expect things to be so difficult. That could simply mean she had to cut back on manicures and trips to the hairstylist, but I have the feeling it meant a whole lot more than that.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Most of us probably stress more about our kids financial well-being than our own. Not that we are more secure at this point...just that's how parents are.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 2,981 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I'm lucky that I haven't had to worry about the economy too much. I put some big bucks into the market on its way down, but I went with very conservative choices so mine is coming back up quickly.

My stresses in the past four years have all been emotional, with my marriage on the rocks, my dad dying from Alzheimer's, both my kids moving out to go to college, divorce, a couple of heart breaks and depression, moving after 23 years in a house and place I loved, and rheumatoid arthritis taking hold. I am doing well, now. Life sucks at times. What can you do? Exercise helps.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

So does stepping outside on a nice morning and enjoying the fall air and the gift of life. A drive in the S can also be theraputic.

Patty...I think you have been through your share for awhile...I predict some pleasant surprises and nice days ahead.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 AM

Received 2,981 Likes on 1,659 Posts

^Oh, yeah! I love the crispness in the fall air. I miss that here in Orange County of southern California. We'll get it but not yet. Too much ocean moisture.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 4,944 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Personally, I don't recall ever losing sleep over a shity boss or the work situation. Sure, crappy bosses were extremely frustrating to work with and be around and as much as I hated their 'me only' approach, I found there was managers at every level in the organization like that, so I never let it 'stress me' and just accepted it. When I was forced by management to do something I was uncomfortable about with my employees, I let the employee know it; no reason I should carry the burden since it wasn't my action plan. I never experienced a job loss. I'm sure that would be damn stressful but worrying about the potential for a loss accomplishes nothing except to keep one up at nights. Efforts are better spent making yourself too valuable too be let go.

I think we've all stressed from time to time about family situations - be it parents, kids, grandkids, health, etc. Usually, it's because of our emotional attachment and not being able to control the situation. Part of life; sometimes it sucks.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

You know, Chris is in the financial planning business, and helps folks invest and manage money. It has been stressful for her this past year, because she really cares for her clients. It is hard not to bring the workplace stress home. She handles all of my retirement investments, so I know she is making the best of a stressful time.

I think we all have to be our brothers' keeper in bad times. There is a lot of suffering out there among the unemployed, especially. And none of us are eager to join them.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 AM

^
That's just the Jim Beam talking. Or maybe a good attitude.

Answering dlq.

Quick Reply: Stress, the economy and what it does to people