S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Summer 2019 Meet-Up - Bar Harbor??

Old 08-09-2018, 05:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, I would never consider going back in the Summer. Mid-September or after, then yes.Very enjoyable without the tourists.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Len44
Yep, I would never consider going back in the Summer. Mid-September or after, then yes.Very enjoyable without the tourists.
September is my favorite month here in New England. We can go to the places in our area, Newport, RI, The Cape, Maine, and not have to deal with the crowds and the summertime heat. It will be even easier once I retire and we can plan little mid week get aways.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I tracked down the motel we stayed at on our honeymoon (Belle Island Motel). I'm going to move this to 4-6 October 2019.

Would love to have anyone else join up. Maybe a different meet-up for Summer?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The last two times we visited Bar Harbor, we stayed at the Quality Inn on Kebo Street. From the motel, we could walk down to the Village Green area and take the free shuttle buses to Acadia Park.
For Mt. Cadillac, we drove our own car. The views there are spectacular! One of our favorite restaurants is the Havana restaurant on Main Street in the downtown area.

I am not so sure about driving in the park with the S2000, as the roads are sometimes congested.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

We were there last summer. Rather busy with tourists but to be expected. We drove up Cadillac mountain. The area is absolutely beautiful.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I was relieved when I started to search for a hotel in Bar Harbor, and stumbled on Belle Island. I was sooooo relieved to find it. In October 2003, it was ready to close down for the season. We were the only people there for the week.

I'll get to quash that last memory. The SoCal trip was a double hit, one for S2KDays, but also to stamp new memoires on everything we did, except for the Temecula wine country, north of San Diego.

Now, I just need to plan a summer trip. Every year I go south (Dragon) and East (Gettysburg and Spring Fling) and did West this year (S2KDays), so where to go....

North??

Hey! Mackinac Island and the U.P.!!!!!! I can make a pit stop at Put-In-Bay, fly across the Turnpike to get to Toledo (or Ferry into Kingston, ON with a pit stop at Peele Island, ON???) and fly up the oven mitt to Mackinac. Do the UP and come back thru Minnesota and Wisconsin. That'd knock off one more state (MN) for me!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Never been in that neck of woods; may have to try it. At least I won't nned a trailer and it would not be covered with mud.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Many years ago, my wife and I took a vacation up in that area.
She mumbled something about it would be a nice area to buy property.....
So's is Nantucket. but since i haven't hit that lottery yet.

Bar Harbor is kinda cool in the underlying severity of the environment.
" hi I'm really pretty, but pay attention and respect me or I'll kill you in a heartbeat."
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
I was looking into taking 2 weeks off next summer, to drive East (not, West like this year) to one of my favorite spots on the planet.... Bar Harbor, Maine, with Acadia National Park just around the corner.

Personal need to go back to Cool As A Moose and find some Jordanberry pancakes.

I know S2KDays will be in Gettysburg in Autumn, plus Spring Fling (where is it, again, Ken??) in May, but I didn't see anything normally going on during Summer.

Sure, vacations abound, but why not enjoy the cool temps in Maine??

Thoughts include a day trip to Nova Scotia (need passport in hand). Not sure what the roads are like up there, or in Maine.

What do you all think??
I think if you are planing a vacation to Maine and you'd like to have a meet with the "New England" people you might want to locate it somewhere in Massachusetts.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Having been to Bar Harbor several years ago, it is way to touristy for my liking. May I suggest as an alternative: Camden, Maine. It is a picture post card town. We stayed at the Best Western Hotel there in 2004 and liked the town so much that we stayed for two days. There are some very good restaurants and lots of other stuff to do, such as a tall ship cruise. IMHO: It is not as "touristy" as Bar Harbor. Very scenic with a waterfall that comes right down through the center of town into the harbor. Just my two cents. I would go back there in a heart beat.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (08-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Summer 2019 Meet-Up - Bar Harbor??