S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

T-shirts in middle of winter

Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts
Default T-shirts in middle of winter

I've ment to ask this several times. Today, like most days this winter, while taking my dog for a walk I meet youngsters playing outside in nothing but T-shirts. Both girls and boys on skate boards, or whatever, maybe just standing around shooting the bull. Now that would all make sense to me if it was summer. The "high" today is 46 degrees at 3 PM. It's one thing to see these fools walking briskly to school or to a bus but to play outside most of the afternoon in a T-shirt is really dumb IMHO. The coats are not laying nearby; they don't won't to be seen in them. Is this local or national stupidity? Do they do this where you live?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I see many kids waiting for the school bus inapropriately dressed for the weather. Not sure if it's not to dress properly or not.

My parents would not have let me leave the house without proper clothing on a cold day, or without something on our feet in snow or rain. Now they wear sneakers in 6" of snow.

I do remember trying to rebel against my parents though. My father INSISTED we wear boots or rubbers ( not this kind ) in inclement weather. I felt like a more than once in those little red rubbers.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's 46 degrees and they're activve, a t shirt makes sense because the body is generating considerble heat. Way back when, 46 would be t-shirt and shorts for a run. And 46 degrees is top down if the sun's shining.
Now, if they're just hanging out, IMHO, that's just plain STOO-PID.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

The one's today - two or three - were goofing around with skate boards in a driveway. But yesterday, same temps, there was about 8 kids slow walking through the sub and only one was wearing a coat. Age wise (I'm guessing) I'd say they are 12 to 15 yrs old.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I havn't noticed this to be the norm around here yet I will see the occasional person in shorts or on a Harley during the winter months. Brrr!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 AM

local stupidity, u can be in tshirts yearround in SoCal! atleast during the dya, its cold enough to require a jacket/sweater at night
Old 12-28-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

People saw me riding around with the top down today. It was 56 deg here and I was loving it. I wear tee shirts and shorts most of the winter and was barefoot outside today. I do not enjoy too much heat and love it when the temps are in the high 50s and low 60s. If temps get lower than the 50s I wear a sweatshirt or jacket. I only pull out a coat if temps are close to freezing. I guess I'm a little on the hotblooded side.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

46* here today. Just saw a guy in T shirt and shorts.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM

It's hard to look at someone and know whether he's dressed warmly enough -- metabolism and activity level vary so much. When I was growing up, in Michigan, I wouldn't put on a jacket until it was around 40, and I was always comfortable. I also used to go skiing without a jacket (thin turtleneck only), provided it was sunny and 25 or over. Again, it was fine.

I found that my tolerance for real cold started waning after I'd lived in California for maybe a half-dozen years. Now, I'm kind of a wimp about it, certainly by comparison. But I drive top down in everything Texas can throw at me, except real rain -- I've driven with the top up six times in 2006.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

i've noticed the brain dead teens at my kids high school.
it can be snowing and they only have teeshirts on when they get dropped at school.

it got real cold two years ago and it got down to near -20.
they had a stupid kid get frostbite at the bus stop in a nearby community.

hat? nope
mittens or gloves? nope.
frostbite? yup

all of the administrators were afraid of the liability.
so they all had to cancel school becuase it got to cold.
even though the heating in the schools was working and they students would be on busses.

Quick Reply: T-shirts in middle of winter