S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tachus targeted by a Hit and Run - Advice needed

Old 09-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Jim, that reminded me of one more point. Whatever your deductible is, it should be waived if you have the other guy's plate number and a witness to say he hit you. Your insurance will go after him.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

A bit off topic: When Sandy was rear-ended by a guy in an SUV, he had AAA insurance. One look at the police report and after-photos and the insurer assured us they would cover the damage. When they said the car would probably be totaled, I began researching prices for similar cars in similar condition, expecting a battle. But they offered a bit more than the average to high retail ASKING prices I had found, covered towing, storage at the shop of MY choosing, and offered to cover a rental for a couple of weeks. When we indicated we had extra vehicles and did not need a rental, they increased the payout a little more. Everyone we dealt with could not have been nicer. The settlement was more than fair and communication was excellent. All in all, I have never had a better experience with any insurance company of any type.

If any of you are ever in an accident where the other driver is at fault, may they be AAA Insurance customers.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

First of all my apologizes for not keeping you all in touch with our experience and also for not posting the promised photographs. Alan still has intensions of that but the Christmas break from work has come and gone so I suspect we will fail to post them. (We have to learn how!)
Tachus is safe and covered in our garage. It took three months for all the repairs to be completed, a long story. The Hartford is our insurance company and it seems that they do not move fast. We also paid for a completely new paint job, not just the damaged parts, and Tachus is now as beautiful as originally. (The plan is for a new soft top in spring 2019.) We are still waiting for our deductable to be returned. The police seem to have more important issues to deal with than a hit and run and the insurance company wants to be sure they can get the funds from the hit and run insurance company before they will refund us. We have our suspicions about that tale but we will keep on nagging the Hartford.
I've missed some really good threads and have a lot of reading to do to catch up with all of you.
I wish you all a good 2019.

Last edited by Tachus; 01-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

So happy the yellow car is safe and sound! Spring Fling in PA?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

given any excuse, insurance companies will drag their feet.
I recommend daily harassing calls to your agent and the folks in the office. make sure you ask for timelines to resolution.
after two weeks up it to twice a day.
Ask them if you need to retain counsel to get properly reimbursed.

not a lawyer, just an A-hole.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 PM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus
First of all my apologizes for not keeping you all in touch with our experience and also for not posting the promised photographs. Alan still has intensions of that but the Christmas break from work has come and gone so I suspect we will fail to post them. (We have to learn how!)
Tachus is safe and covered in our garage. It took three months for all the repairs to be completed, a long story. The Hartford is our insurance company and it seems that they do not move fast. We also paid for a completely new paint job, not just the damaged parts, and Tachus is now as beautiful as originally. (The plan is for a new soft top in spring 2019.) We are still waiting for our deductable to be returned. The police seem to have more important issues to deal with than a hit and run and the insurance company wants to be sure they can get the funds from the hit and run insurance company before they will refund us. We have our suspicions about that tale but we will keep on nagging the Hartford.
I've missed some really good threads and have a lot of reading to do to catch up with all of you.
I wish you all a good 2019.
Good news that things are working out even if taking longer.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

For some strange reason none of the photographs are showing up on my computer...

-- Chuck
Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Good news!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 AM

Received 912 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
For some strange reason none of the photographs are showing up on my computer...

-- Chuck
Chuck, I'm not sure whether you read Tachus' comment or not.

She said,

Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 AM

Received 912 Likes on 539 Posts

Catherine, that sounds like good news about Tachus.

I hope the rest can get solved soon.

Quick Reply: Tachus targeted by a Hit and Run - Advice needed