S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is Technology Dividing America

Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

The government once again recognizing a problem and being too slow on the draw to address it.

Technical education struggles to gain funding traction | TheHill
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
We all wanted the new technology, but now a number of people are wondering if it is in our best interest.

I'm sure that's the same thing our folks said when TV's, microwaves etc started being affordable.

All change comes with a price.
You are correct, we all want technology which allows progress. And you are right as to "all change comes with a price". The only question will be, who pays that price. I certainly do not have the answer to that problem, but it will be a problem, in the long run, all the same.

This could be the biggest problem dealt with by millennials and the generations that follow. But, I believe that everyone needs to understand that there will be a price to pay, and wee need to understand what that price is sooner, rather than later.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

There was once a time that technology actually improved our lives and saved time and effort. Today most consumer technology is boring, duplicative of existing technology and largely unnecessary to a full, enjoyable life style. The so-called "improvements" on old tech seem manufactured to me. It is one part tech advance, one part propaganda and social pressure to conform to the new tech. Radio, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3 players, i-pods, satellite radio, digital streaming... Feel free to pretend that one was huge advancement over the next. At the end of the day, you are still sitting there listening to music. I think that each was just a way to get you to buy another doo-hickey, repurchase all the music you already owned, or subscribe to some service you didn't need to begin with.

When I see something new and ask what it is I usually find myself regretting that I asked the question one minute into the explanation. I'm sure the voice activated digital ass wiper is right around the corner. And when it arrives, there will be a line of people in front of the ass-wipe store to get the first ones. Old legal bill will still be buying toilet paper.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Bill, I've never been one to rush into new technology unless I saw a real advantage for doing it. So I still play old fashion radios and when traveling cassettes. Never had an MP3 player, or i-pod, etc. Heck I still have a flip phone. Other than something to play with while eating alone or waiting in a doctor's office, I didn't see any need to upgrade. However, I do see features now that tempt me - I love the quality of the pictures they take and having access to Goggle for maps, restaurants, and weather have got me tempted more and more. Personally, the one tech'y thing I really think is awesome is FaceTime and being able to talk live to our FL family. But like you I will probably continue with toilet paper till its discontinued.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I like gadgets, but the gadget budget is limited. I'm not one to upgrade whenever a new iphone comes to town. I see no need to have Alexa or any of those types of devices in the house. I'm waiting for my printer to break so that I can purchase a wireless one. I hate tossing out stuff that still works, especially since I rarely use it. I love having the handy, dandy iphone and would not want to be without it. It is so very convenient for the reasons Dave mentioned. I still use a GPS which I prefer over the iphone. It's just easier for me to see and program, though I'll pop on to Google maps when traveling as well. As far as the cameras, yes the phones do a darn good job. WAY better than my first digital camera, but I do enjoy lugging my camera around....
Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
I'm waiting for my printer to break so that I can purchase a wireless one.
Why? I have the option to do either on my printer and prefer to use the wire for a seamless connection to the Mac.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
. Old legal bill will still be buying toilet paper.
You need to get with the times. Toilet paper is soooo old world now. Toshiba and others have had auto toilets for some time. De rigueur in Japan. You sit down, do your thing and they will take care of things and more. Clean you up (the aiming is laser beam focused) air dry you (adjustments are made for male/female/not sure) and will inform you of any blood, abnormal sugar, asparagus, or other chemistry issues. Did I say the seats are heated for those in Minnesota? For those who suffer the way President Carter did (Begins with an "H") I am told these things are heaven sent. I can only imagine.

Your only job is to stand up and put your pants back on. If you want.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You need to get with the times. Toilet paper is soooo old world now. Toshiba and others have had auto toilets for some time. De rigueur in Japan. You sit down, do your thing and they will take care of things and more. Clean you up (the aiming is laser beam focused) air dry you (adjustments are made for male/female/not sure) and will inform you of any blood, abnormal sugar, asparagus, or other chemistry issues. Did I say the seats are heated for those in Minnesota? For those who suffer the way President Carter did (Begins with an "H") I am told these things are heaven sent. I can only imagine.

Your only job is to stand up and put your pants back on. If you want.
Yeah. I saw the movie Why Him as well. It was exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote my prior comment. When the 99% rise up to eat the rich, I have to figure the owners of those crappers will be the first on the menu.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Why? I have the option to do either on my printer and prefer to use the wire for a seamless connection to the Mac.
Evening surfing is done on the lap top while in the recliner. Sometimes I'm doing research for an upcoming trip and would find it easier to print the info vs emailing a link and printing from the PC. Just lazy sometimes....

Quick Reply: Is Technology Dividing America