S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Things I have learned...........

Old 10-04-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I have learned...........

Just wanted to share with everyone the things I have learned from hurricane Isabel:

Coffee and frozen eggrolls can be made on a BBQ grill.

No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity.

A new method of non-lethal torture -- cold showers.

TV and internet are an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful.

There are a lot of trees around here.

Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14 generators.

People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for.

Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as the battery remains charged.

27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out!

Price of peanut butter and bread rises 200% in a storm.

The only good thing about not having telephones -- you haven't had a call from a telemarketer lately.

And last, but not least, carpel tunnel syndrome has greatly improved in my wrist with 10 days of non-movement on a mouse pad!
Old 10-04-2003, 04:03 PM

those are great observations.....too funny...........I have spent my whole life in California.......remember many earthquakes, but none that has done damage to myself or property......now when one happens, I pause and wonder whether this is a big one or not......and if it was the big one, I would be caught wondering...........and while thinking of those who are truly harmed by natural events, I like that some can come away with a sense of humor about it all.......and I suspect a reassessment of priorities........and an appreciation of what really matters in life...............and I think everyone should take a cold shower now and then..........some times we have it too easy..............

greybeard
Old 10-04-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by klassyblue
Just wanted to share with everyone the things I have learned from hurricane Isabel:

Coffee and frozen eggrolls can be made on a BBQ grill.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Reminds me of going through the ice storm here in Jan 98. I remember candles getting scarce too. I think the worst was not having water as the pump to the well is electric. I also used BBQ along with woodstove for cooking. Was a long 9 days.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

.......all you need is love
Old 10-05-2003, 06:12 AM

Your post reminds me of the 89 Loma Prieta Earthquake. No it wasn't the San Francisco earthquake. It was centered about 15 miles from where I live in Santa Cruz. Sadly, many died in that quake. It was a very scary time and I truly believed that we would not bounce back from this one but like ants, we humans pick up the rubble and before you know it, things are right back to normal. It does take a long time for nerves to heal. I truly do not want to be here when "The Big One" hits. That 7.1 was horrible. I was outside when it hit and recall the ugly monster. The sky grew dark as if the sun had been partially eclipsed and then it hit. Cars and trucks bounced around like toys and the earth beneath my feet felt like a giant was shaking sand off of a blanket. It was all I could do to stand up. I instinctively looked to the sky for the mushroom cloud. People ran out of their homes bloody and battered. When the shaking stopped, all that could be heard were alarms going off and sirens. Radio stations emergency warning screamed on every channel. I thought to myself, this was no earthquake. That had to be "The Bomb." Several days and nights of 6.5 aftershocks followed while we slept in our car, the big one was imminent. Because of our location, we were cut off from the rest of the state except by air. I vowed to move from the area once I could get back on my feet. It was literally raining inside my home because of the damage. The quake was so violent that it snapped the ball cocks inside the toilet tanks in my upstairs bathrooms. We lost all of our china and most of our dishes. Carpets and linoleum were ruined. We had to shovel the place out. Paint cans flew everywhere in my garage. Thank God I didn't have my S2000 yet. I would have cried.
#1 Have at least one back up tank of propane.
Being prepared is so important. Food and toiletries are very important. You can heat bath water on your weber, make coffee, food and basically camp out if you have propane and a lantern. All turned out well as we slowly began to dig out. People pull together. We fed many because we have a grocery store. We had to do something with the perishables so we just gave them away. Ice too is important. What a mess the store was. A soup of pickles, wine and mayonaise covered the floors with a syrup and everything else that is breakable. Milk and beer on the other isle. Talk about shoveling.
Yes buy a weber and full back up tanks if you live in an area of natural disasters. Have plenty of coffee, and canned goods. Most people forget toiletries. You sure miss them when you don't have them. Like I said, we were fortunate because we had a whole store full of essentials but many didn't. Medication is very important also. Have backups. Knowing where to turn your gas off is critical. Many houses caught fire and exploded. People who live in mobile homes should have them braced. Homes must be bolted to foundations. If your's isn't, have it done. Those house that weren't jumped right off the foundations and into the yard. Some jumped right down a hill if they were so situated.
Well we are still here but finally planning our escape. The fact that insurance companies won't write earthquake coverage in this state kind of tells me something. It's gonna be ugly.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:11 PM

think I'll just stay here in the desert...mind you what about that nagging drought problem? If it's not one thing it's another, guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.