S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Thirteenth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet

Old 04-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
No comment...
Gonna miss you there...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Looter
Sharon & I are there.....!!!!!!

With Mike not attending, you want to caravan, to make it an OKI thing?? ;-)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
With Mike not attending, you want to caravan, to make it an OKI thing?? ;-)
We normally do, Jamie...I’ll get you the details, a little later....

Last edited by Looter; 04-27-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Hey Jonas! How 'bout updating the attendee list? There's a bunch of people who plan on going.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Hey Jonas! How 'bout updating the attendee list? There's a bunch of people who plan on going.
Time to go,yet ???
Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
No comment...
I can see trying to keep the drive the same as Tom (Tomcatt) liked, but year after year of the same drive and same stops gets boring...
Ban me... I really don't care. But would do this drive if the itinerary wasn't so set in stone, and not allow people to go exploring.
A few of us took some different roads last year and had a blast. Kind of changed things up a bit.
Getting together with fellow enthusiasts is great, and we look forward to it every year at numerous events.... but need some different roads between breakfast and dinner.
Just my two cents worth!
No one will be banned. I get it. But look at it from this perspective:

The roads in that area are pretty mapped out. Over the years I've been on pretty much every road within the area bounded by 555 and 26. We used to come down 800 into Woodsfield, but last time I took it, it was all gradual curves and nice scenery. Nice, but not exactly thrilling. One year, I mapped out that whole area between Zanesville and I-77, and though I found plenty of roads with some fun sections, nothing (IMO) comes close to the combination of 555 and 26. Some of that area ended up as the Touring route from the Bucket to Zanesville some years.
I know of a number of roads that are fun, but dump you out on a main road in town somewhere with nowhere else interesting to go, or far from anywhere acceptable to have lunch, or some similar difficulty. No problem for 3-4 cars out for the day, but a bigger issue for 20 cars with some not as gung-ho about a long day's drive. Then, factor in decent breaks for potty stops, gas, eating, and the fact that there are at least 2 groups with different preferred speeds, and it becomes more of a coordination issue. I'm curious about the route you took last year, because unless some old gravel roads are now passable, I've never found anything worth deviating from our usual course.

I've considered doing like we've done in the distant past - stay at Salt Fork, take some fun roads to the top of 26, down to Marietta, lunch there, then back up any number of other routes, including 555. But the higher cost of Salt Fork puts some off, the restaurant there is mediocre at best, and it increases the amount of highway driving for the day, being further from the good roads.

So, if someone wants to step up and propose a new route - be my guest, and I mean it. These days I just do not have time to take a weekend day to investigate a new route, map it out, time it appropriately, and document it so everyone has the route. I doubt I will even manage a scouting run the week before as Sam and I have usually done. So - any suggestions will be seriously entertained. I would love the help, and would not mind changing it up at all. I just have no time for it, especially this year.

To be honest about it - what upset me last year was folks heading out on their own without warning, leaving me worrying why part of the group wasn't there at lunch, and to have to tell the owner of the Muddy Miser that we won't need some of the extra space he left for us. I don't know if he brought in extra staff for lunch due to us or not, but that's why I give him a rough count a few days before. Made me look like a jerk.

Listen, there will always be folks who are upset or dissatisfied with some aspect of any meet; I hear about it every single year. Some nitpick the choice of hotel, some complain there's no bar, some don't like the route, whatever. Try to juggle it so everyone is happy - it won't happen. I figured that out years ago.

Not looking for a lot of discussion on this - not because I won't listen, but as you already can see with my lack of time spent typing here, my time is very limited this year (ask me about it when we get together!) and I can't promise participation other than occasionally.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

In consideration of your posting, I'm going to let you (and anyone else that really cares) know that I'm not going to the Big Shovel this trip, I'm going straight to the Muddy Miser for lunch. The second thing is that I'm going to have to pass on Saturday night dinner unless it's somewhere other than the Gun Room. My stomach told me last year that I shouldn't eat there again and I plan on listening to it and having dinner at Buckley House. If anyone would like to join me, you're welcome to come along, just let me know in plenty of time so I can let Jonas know.

Incidentally, there were the same number of people for lunch as expected, just some got there 30 minutes before others. We let the management know we were early and the rest of the group would be along shortly. I've been arranging meets for a long time and I know the things that restaurants and hotels go through to make sure they are prepared for unexpected numbers. I can understand the concerns, I face the same thing numerous tims over 6 or 7 meets every year. You can't satisfy everyone, you just try to satisfy the largest number of people.

Last edited by kgf3076; 04-29-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jonas,
I reserved a room for 6/14--6/17 back on April 20. using my HHonors points. Please add Sylvia and I to the list.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-01-2018, 04:39 PM

I'd like to join you this year for the first time. Friend of paterjim

Mark
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Would like to join this drive

Hi Jonas,
My cousin Bob (aka: Driveaholic) PM'd you about me joining this drive. I'm not an S2k owner but can certainly appreciate design and performance of these cars. Would love to hang out with this group. I drive a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and trust that I'll fit in real well. Please add me to the list.
Thanks,
Nick

Quick Reply: The Thirteenth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet