S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Those interested in small player guitars

Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Never noticed that before, re: Taylor headstock/fretboard attachment. And I've played on quite a few Taylors. Never owned one.

I love Taks! Friend has a bunch of them. I like the single cutaway types with onboard pre-amp/EQ.

My Martin HD has a piezo pickup under the bridge. Any of you guys record? It's been years since I've done any recording. On a friend's laptop, using Cool Edit Pro software. Pretty neat what you can do, in your home, these days.

Taylor has brought a number of innovative ideas to acoustic guitar manufacturing since they've been around. I believe that particular method of neck attachment is unique to their miniature/travel guitars. Taylor is one of many guitar manufacturers that feature bolt-on necks as opposed to the traditional dovetail joint. Somewhere around the beginning of this century they implemented what they refer to as the NT neck system which incorporates a small wedge shaped shim where the neck joins the body. This allows them to address neck resets in an incredibly efficient manner. They can remove the neck and change out the size of the wedge used to compensate for changing break angle caused by the change/movement in the wood used in the guitar's construction. To some degree this is almost like making shim-under-bucket valve adjustments in an engine.

I own a few different acoustic guitars but only one of them has a built-in under-saddle pickup. The only times I've used the pickup was for playing in front of an audience — which I'm not really fond of, but figured I'd give it a go to see if it would get easier with time. The very first time I gave it a shot the pickup's battery died on me just as I was starting on my second song, lol. For recording I've found that I prefer the use of a small digital field recorder with built-in condenser stereo mics. I don't add any sort of effects once I've finished recording so basically all I have to do with my computer is clip my individual tracks and maybe add fade-in and fade-out. Then I simply convert my files to MP3s. I record my own tunes primarily to share with family and friends so MP3 files are more than sufficient. Click here to check out my music.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

That's cool to be able to share the music like that! Sounds great.