S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Thoughts on Towing an S2000 (Trailered)

Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Thoughts on Towing an S2000 (Trailered)

My girlfriend is in a position to receive a used 32 ft Class A motorhome from her father. We we wondering if it would be possible to tow the S2000 on a trailer behind the motorhome. Does anyone have an experience or advice for this set up?
Old 10-31-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a FYI, most Class A hitches are rated around 5000#'s max, so that would be the first consideration. Then you need to find the Gross vehicle weight, then determine what trailer weight plus the trailered vehicle's weight to determine the gross combined weight rating. Then you subtract the gvwr from the gcwr to get the approximate towing capacity you can safely tow* Be sure to account for all the items you might carry in the motorhome when figuring your weights.
Brakes will also be a major issue, be sure to get a good trailer brake system and consider an upgrade on brakes and probably the cooling system/trans. cooler.

* assuming properly equipped.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:49 AM

That's great information for me to start with. Thank you. I'm curious to know if anyone has done something like that.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you’re trailering the s2000 with all for wheels off the ground using a quality dual axle trailer there should be no problem... with the exception of loading it onto the trailer. Due to the s2000’s low ground clearance long ramps will need to deployed, the use of a tilt bed trailer, or a creative mind. The use of lights and brakes on the towed vehicle is a major importance and should always be used.

If flat towing -or- towing with the front wheels suspended keep the emergency brake off. If you have the car in neutral you should be fine as long as the tires are the same size (no mini-spare).

In all cases you should expect chips from road debris and road grime kicked up from underneath the motorcoach unless the s2000 is shielded or protected in some manner.

gary
Old 10-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
That's great information for me to start with. Thank you. I'm curious to know if anyone has done something like that.
Never with an S2000 but with many other cars/trailers that were considerably heavier. I used both trucks or motorcoaches as a tow vehicle.

gary
Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Certainly can be done with some careful homework.

Maximum towing capacity of a vehicle is a much hyped (advertised) and almost completely misunderstood number. Since it's computed with the vehicle empty it's an absolute best case number, not a planning number. You need to determine the actual towing capacity which will be a lot less. Few people take the time to do this and most of them get away with it. The main issue is the tow vehicle transmission cooler. A rule of thumb that should work is to tow 1000 pounds less than the maximum towing capacity to account for 1000 pounds of stuff in the tow vehicle. Four passengers can be considered 1000 pounds though. 2000 pounds is better.

I figure an S2000 and trailer will weigh 5000 pounds so you need at least 6000 pounds towing capacity (7000 would be better).

Getting the S2000 on and off the trailer will prove to be a challenge especially if you're lower than stock suspension height. I can't slide a jack under my stock height S2000, it's that low stock.

-- Chuck
Old 10-31-2015, 07:24 PM

This is all great information and makes sense with what I've learned, although I haven't towed much before and it will be a first time driving the motorhome once it becomes operational. I'll want to practice driving the MH quite a bit before I attempt to pull a trailer weighing 5,000.

My S is stock height and I'll look into tilt trailers and ramps as options. This is a long-term project, not something that is going to happen too soon. We're just trying to plan ahead. The MH is a Cummings diesel driver and hopefully would have no trouble with a tow vehicle.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Why will the trailer weigh 5000 pounds?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 AM

I forgot to mention: a trailer with a detachable left side fender could be a necessity — opening your door my be impossible without the feature.

gary
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I forgot to mention: a trailer with a detachable left side fender could be a necessity — opening your door my be impossible without the feature.

gary
Quess you forgot how quickly the top goes down.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Towing an S2000 (Trailered)