S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Three lost hikers in Oregon

Old 12-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Three lost hikers in Oregon

If you haven't heard this story yet, here is a link to a source that I do not know anything about. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...al-rssm-mt_hood

The info seems consistent with what I have heard on the local news. I wish these hikers well and I hope they are recovered and returned home safely. But I cannot help but wonder about this type of activity.

I do not know much about the mountains of the west, other than they are taller than the mountains of the east. With that said, I know that every year we lose people who are trying to climb New Hampshire's Mt Washington in the fall. The stories always make you shake your head. Folks take extreme risks and are usually unprepared.

These three people seemed to know what they were doing, and that makes me wonder all the more. What is the point? Aside from throwing away your own life, when something like this happens, you put the lives of rescuers in danger as well. I salute those who risk their own lives to try to help these folks. I would not be willing to do so, even if I was able to.

Maybe I'm a risk snob. I think auto racing is fine and that racers who crash should be rescued. I guess to some, auto racing is just as pointless. I guess I'm ok with it becuase it is controlled and supervised and the rescue staff is privately funded.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on ultrahazardous activites and the state's obligation to aid risk takers when things go wrong?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 705 Likes on 432 Posts

I hope they're found well. I think most states encourage people to visit their mountains, lakes, whatever to engage in these activities. I'm sure the tourism trade is a valuable resource to every state and that dollar figure more than covers the cost of rescue operations.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I too hope they are rescued.

Are the rescuers volunteer or are they paid. At the risk of sounding like an ogre, I've often wondered what it costs to mount one of these rescue operations. I'm not suggesting that the cost of the operation should stop the rescue attempt, but when people engage in dangerous activities and a rescue operation is needed, who should pay for it? Or, to look at it from another angle, should the average citizen pay for the rescue of people who engage in dangerous activities?

An interesting question with no simple answers.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

I'm old enough to remember very clearly when auto racing was called the "death sport". I have witnessed racing deaths live, I have had childhood heros in that sport die, and we all know that even in today's climate when safety takes the lead in auto racing events, there is still risks at all levels from the 1st time trackers to the pros. To use your own words, yes I think you are a risk snob. There are risks in many popular sports - horse back riding & jumping come to quickly to my mind since my wife use to do both but after a serious fall gave up jumping.... but the risk remains even with just riding. We do what we enjoy and learned to love.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. This one is from Hemmingway:

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games."
Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But then what about providing Medicare to people who smoked but "shouldn't have put themselves at risk" in the first place.

Or people 200 pounds overweight who want their insurance to pay for their medical care when the cartilage in their knees wears out.

I'm not commenting on what I personally believe about accepting elevated risk and who should pay for it.

But it's a slippery slope on when to help or not to help those who are in difficult situations.

I think we have an obligation to assume the hikers got in over their head and are sorry for their lack of judgement... and are currently in need of help. If I could help without placing myself at undue risk, I would... on the principle of forgiveness.

The rescuers called off the rescue a couple times due to weather. They are only accepting what risk they are willing to take.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

I think it is commendable for those who are inspired to mount challenges such as climbing Mt. Everest. But in order to pursue that kind of extreme activity, one should be trained, equipped and well prepared. I think pursuing this kind of activity in possibly unfavorable weather conditions may not have been well thought out. I am also concerned about the rescue workers who must risk their own lives to save those lost. My prayer goes out to the three climbers as well as the brave rescue workers.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 17 2006, 04:56 PM
Are the rescuers volunteer or are they paid. At the risk of sounding like an ogre, I've often woundered what it costs to mount one of these rescue operations.
This subject was just discussed on NPR this week. I'm not sure if this topic was what brought it up or not. I did not hear it all but I did hear that the rescuers are all volunteers. They said when they use planes and eggbeaters they are considered as military training missions and are much better since so much is at stake.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Sadly, it was just reported one of the climbers has been found dead in a snow cave.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Dec 17 2006, 05:41 PM
But then what about providing Medicare to people who smoked but "shouldn't have put themselves at risk" in the first place.

Or people 200 pounds overweight who want their insurance to pay for their medical care when the cartilage in their knees wears out.

I'm not commenting on what I personally believe about accepting elevated risk and who should pay for it.

But it's a slippery slope on when to help or not to help those who are in difficult situations.

I think we have an obligation to assume the hikers got in over their head and are sorry for their lack of judgement... and are currently in need of help. If I could help without placing myself at undue risk, I would... on the principle of forgiveness.

The rescuers called off the rescue a couple times due to weather. They are only accepting what risk they are willing to take.
I don't disagree, but I do find it a very interesting question.

I too thnk we have an obligation to help yet there is always the question of who needs to pay for others adventures.

It is an interesting question.

Quick Reply: Three lost hikers in Oregon