S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Time passes, some things remain the same.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default Time passes, some things remain the same.

Time passes, some things remain the same.

I bought my S2000 8 years ago. Long before there was a Vintage Forum, and long before I knew anything about S2KI or any of you. I’d owned a number of sports cars when I was younger, and I wanted another. I brought my beautiful Sebring Silver S2000 home on August 12, 2002.

Very shortly after I got the car I discovered both S2KI and S2KCA. I started posting, started making friends and started learning a lot about the car.

My two sons were excited about it, but my youngest, Adam, was especially enamored of it. He and I had been doing an awful lot of things together, including working on our cars, and I think Adam was as fond of the S as I was. I think I first introduced them to everyone in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1632963

One of my clients had a 2000 S2000 and his calipers were rusting and I didn’t want that to happen to my calipers, so I ordered the paint and the very next weekend, Adam, Andrew and I put the car on stands and painted my calipers. It was the first car project that we did together, and when we finished, the calipers really looked good.

Almost 7 years have now past since I posted that thread. Most all of you have met Adam. He started coming to meets when he was 9, and came with me for a good many years. Andrew, my oldest has grown up, graduated from Rutgers with a BA in Economics and starts graduate school in the fall. Adam is now 16, taller than I am, a junior in high school, and has his learners permit. Adam drives the S almost as well as I do, and I think that because of the S2000 and all that we do with it, he wants to become an engineer.

I tell you all of this because of something that happened yesterday. Adam is away for the week, visiting with his aunt and uncle in Virginia Beach. Andrew is busy with his friends from college, and it was so hot here yesterday that Liz just wanted to stay indoors. I took the S out of the garage, and for the first time in 8 years, I washed, waxed and vacuumed it all by myself. It was the first time I’ve done anything to the car without at least Adam around to help. It took me 4 hours to get it done.

For just a moment I took a step back and let my mind wander. I thought about all the time that the S has been a part of the family, and the impact it’s had on all of us, and how it continues to be part of the family after all these years. I had to smile and pat the car on it's fender.

And do you know what else? The calipers still look damn good.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a coincidence, Rob! I did mine today by myself for the first time ever. I don't have the great family stories to go with it, and I've only owned Ss since '06, but my Daughter did seem to enjoy helping and learning how to change oil, etc. She starts middle college in August, so those days are probably gone.

And, BTW my calipers look like hell! Next job on the docket.

Dave
Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Coincidence Rob.
I washed,waxed,vacuumed,and cleaned the interior of mine,this afternoon,as it was cloudy outside;not a nice day for a top-down ride.

Now,it's ready for a nice ride,whenever the sun shows up...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice story Rob. My farther-son project stories are of working on my son's cars. He never seemed to have much interest in working on any of my cars with me. He really isn't a car guy.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
tof

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Thanks for the story, Rob. It evoked a lot of memories.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 19 2010, 09:13 AM
Nice story Rob. My farther-son project stories are of working on my son's cars. He never seemed to have much interest in working on any of my cars with me. He really isn't a car guy.
Don't feel badly Bill. My oldest, Andrew, really didn't much care about cars either. He only came out to help when we asked him and always lacked enthusiasm. To him a car was nothing more than mere transportation.

Something happened to him this spring. Right after he graduated from college he asked Adam and myself if we'd show him how to change his oil. I told him that I'd help and so would Adam. He insisted on doing it himself with the two of us just guiding him along.

I don't think he's ever going to have the feeling for cars that Adam and I have, but I'm thrilled to know that he at least wants to know how they work and how to do some of the necessary maintenance.

I think everyone should know the basics.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree, nice story Rob. For many of us the S2000 has left a mark on our lives - from forums to people met and in many other ways.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 4,914 Likes on 2,980 Posts

Rob, if you really want to know who your friends are you should buy an MG.

This was in my garage Saturday.

It's a long story.... so I won't go into the details until it's all resolved.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 2,945 Likes on 1,639 Posts

^Your buddies all look happy.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the opposite happen last week. Mrs. GM3 came out and helped my take off the wax for the first time.

Love the story.

Quick Reply: Time passes, some things remain the same.