S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Time is running out in Lake George...

Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy Time is running out in Lake George...

As some of you may recall from the Vintage Gathering at Lake George, my brother who lives nearby has emphysema and has been gradually going downhill Patricia, Robb (VT), Billys2k & Diane were nice to join me to visit him in October 2005. Patricia's pic:

He was taken to the VA hospital last Sunday in an urgent condition...barely able to breathe....even with O2 @ 24/7 and inhalers, etc. Diagnosis has been ongoing during the week, with some painful attempts at treatment, talk about the next step in his treatment, etc. Both Kathy and I have talked with him during the week. He's been somewhat more comfortable, but gets out of breath just from talking on the phone or eating....much less moving around. Last evening he told Kathy that "he wants to die at home." Thanks to Patricia for this pic:

Well, this evening we got a phone message from his daughter that he's 'checking himself out of the hospital tomorrow'....without any plan for his own care. Visting nurses, nurses aides, etc. His dtr will be there over the weekend, but....then what? His son is nearby in Saratoga Springs, but not too helpful. I may try to find a way to travel to Upstate NY for a couple days...

It's a very sad situation. There is no one else left from my father's side of the family blood line.....other than Chuck's two kids.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Sorry to hear, Jerry. My Dad was on O2 the last five years of his life. As I'm sure you know, it's not as simple as giving the patient more O2 to help them breathe. It's a disease with many complications.

I've been where you are and it's very difficult for all concerned.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 435 Likes on 313 Posts

I am really sorry for your brother's situation. I am sure he will appreciate your visiting him at this time. I hope an acceptable solution will present itself soon in regards to his care. My prayer is with your brother and your family.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Oh, Jerry, I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be to hear of this and know what's coming.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your brother. I am originally from upstate NY. I seem to remember a special hospital for patients with lung desease in Northern NY.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I would hope someone at the hospital helps him with setting up some type of home care before he is released. My thoughts are with you and Kathy. It has to be tough on your brother...never being able to leave the house. Being housebound grows on you.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Feb 24 2007, 03:48 AM
I would hope someone at the hospital helps him with setting up some type of home care before he is released. ....
Levi, the VA social worker 'stopped by' twice this past week when he was involved with other things.....said 'I'll be back' but never came back. She may have been there on Friday. In general, the VA has been great....but not lately. When his friend (and Godsend) Dave took him to the hospital (remember he's in something like pulmonary arrest), they balked at sending someone to help him into the hospital. The wheelchair had no leg supports and he was too weak to hold up his legs. Amazing.

We're going to try to keep him from checking out of the VA hospital until care arrangements can be made. As Patty has seen, he lives in a friggin' mobile home without a ramp entrance and narrow corridors/ doorways

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts. A story to be continued....
Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ I know it is so frustrating not to have an answer in this situation. Who has his medical power of attorney? Anyone? Of course, if he's lucid and capable of making his own decisions, you can't stop him from leaving the hospital. Is he not a hospice candidate at this point?? I would seriously check into that. Hospice is wonderful. They can arrange for a nurse to come to his house, or to even check him into a hospice center if there is one. There is no way his passing should be so agonizing. Good luck, Jerry.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Jerry, we too are sorry to hear about your brother. He and your family will be in our prayers.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I'm so sorry, Jerry. My thoughts are with you.

Quick Reply: Time is running out in Lake George...