S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tires. Tires? oh no tires

Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

The RE760s might be a better choice if you don't mind the extra $130 or so for the set. Reviews on ride and comfort are generally very good. Treadwear rating is about the same as the Falkens.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

You might consider Avon, I went through a set of them. Good ride, etc. Not a track tire.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm still waiting on OhioRacer's review of the 760's.

JonasM
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tof,Feb 22 2010, 01:16 PM
J.W., the only way you will get an informed answer is if you can say something about what you are looking for and how you drive. Try ranking the following attributes in order of importance:

Tread life (1)
Ride (4)
Tire noise (5)
Dry traction (6)
Wet traction (3)
Ease of handling at or approaching traction limits
Price (2)
Appearance

And how often do you use the S2000 for... 25K+/YEAR
Normal local driving DAILY
Long distance driving DAILY
High performance road driving RARE
Autocross NEVER
Track NEVER
Drag Strip

Finally, if you do a lot of local driving, in what kind of shape are the streets and roads in your area.

Answer these and I suspect you will get can't-miss recommendations from this wise old group. And if you get ten different recommendations from this wise old group, just go with your gut.
-Mostly spirited driving
-
TOF:
You're amazing, I'd buy tires from you! I'm running the RE- 760's w/o complaints but may start using the car for DD 500/600 miles per week (possible new job)
Please see my ranking s below for a recommendation:
Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 AM
tof

I don't think you can do much better than the 760s. The problem with the S is there just aren't a lot of choices in the low end of the price scale and most of those are extreme summer performance tires. The 760s have a good tread-wear rating.

I can't say much about wet traction as I only have experience with a couple of brands on the S. What might work great in the wet on, say, an Accord might not work well at all in the wider profile and lower overall weight of the S2000.

With that kind of mileage (you are looking at around 25,000 miles a year JUST for the commute) it could make sense to get a nice beater that is cheap to run and maintain...say an older civic. Sure you would have to pay some bucks for the beater but you would dramatically cut the mileage on the S which will either let you enjoy it a lot longer or get a good bit more for it when you sell it or trade it in. You should be able to get a discount on the S insurance that would absorbe most, if not all the cost of the beater's insurance (liability only, of course). You can use cheaper oil in the beater. Repairs will be cheaper. Mileage will be better. You can almost pay for the beater with savings and keep the miles off the S. And you can get tires for a civic that cost half as much and last three times as long.

Now if you just want to drive the S all the time I can certainly understand. But doesn't it snow up there?

Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tof,Feb 23 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think you can do much better than the 760s. The problem with the S is there just aren't a lot of choices in the low end of the price scale and most of those are extreme summer performance tires. The 760s have a good tread-wear rating.

I can't say much about wet traction as I only have experience with a couple of brands on the S. What might work great in the wet on, say, an Accord might not work well at all in the wider profile and lower overall weight of the S2000.

With that kind of mileage (you are looking at around 25,000 miles a year JUST for the commute) it could make sense to get a nice beater that is cheap to run and maintain...say an older civic. Sure you would have to pay some bucks for the beater but you would dramatically cut the mileage on the S which will either let you enjoy it a lot longer or get a good bit more for it when you sell it or trade it in. You should be able to get a discount on the S insurance that would absorbe most, if not all the cost of the beater's insurance (liability only, of course). You can use cheaper oil in the beater. Repairs will be cheaper. Mileage will be better. You can almost pay for the beater with savings and keep the miles off the S. And you can get tires for a civic that cost half as much and last three times as long.

Now if you just want to drive the S all the time I can certainly understand. But doesn't it snow up there?

Just a thought.
Great thoughts - beater should pay for itself as you say, just need that extra parking spot in the lot (+/-150/month) and to convince the wife to keep a toy around.
Off topic: The other alternative is get rid of the S and get a 1 or 2yr old Mini S w/ winter snows ..how do you think that compares $ per mile?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
tof

The mini-cooper S manual transmission gets an EPA mileage rating of 34 Hwy/26 City.

The S2000 is rated 25 Highway/18 City.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM

I have Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 on my '06. They are very comfortable and very quiet. The tire casing comes from the Michelin rallye design group, so the tire is well adapted for roads that are lumpy and wavy. The result is that the car is not upset on less than perfect roads. I only have about 1500 miles on them, so I cannot comment on treadwear. They are available in OEM sizes, and are less expensive and WAY more comfortable than the OEM RE-050's.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM

I use Kumho Ecsta MX tires - they are all season, so good for both rain or shine (however, in the 9 years I have owned my S, I can count the number of times it has been in the rain on one hand).

I have Volks CE28's 17" wheels on my car right now and they make Ecsta MX's in the right size for that wheel - not sure about OEM.

I bought the Kumho's from the Tire Rack and had them mounted locally.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

... yourself.

Quick Reply: Tires. Tires? oh no tires