S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

ToeKneeR started it! (a new thread idea for a slow forum day)

Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts
Default ToeKneeR started it! (a new thread idea for a slow forum day)

Since we are Vintage, and in keeping with toekneer's idea on thread topics, here is one to consider.

Looking back on your life, if there was one thing you wish you could change, what would it be? And explain please.

For me, that is a tough one because the thing I always say I wish I had done differently would change the path of my entire life and, in essence, who I am today. So really, I am not sure I would change it. But I kind of wish I had given my first marriage a better chance. Again though...if I had, my life would be so completely different and so many things would have gone un-done and un-experienced in my world.

Alternatively, I wish I had sold my dining room set BEFORE I moved into my second-floor apartment with no elevator and a 90 degree turn onto a narrow landing to get out the front door.

And I wish I had visited the dentist more often. I know that last one is gonna bite me eventually.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

ah but for the butterfly effect I would make no changes.

Is there wisdom I wish I had not accrued? surely.

perhaps there is one change.....
Who knows how it would have affected my life but there is one regret.
When I was 17, my father, who was a truck driver, wanted me to go on an overnight trip with him.
What I did not know was he planned to let me drive a big rig in the parking lot along the way.
I passed on it saying I would go another time.
A few days later he had a heart attack and two weeks later he was gone.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

^^ Yeah, that definitely qualifies.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would pick a different line of work. I went for the safe and sure paycheck. Been bored for the last 20 of my 30 years on the same job.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

There are lots of things I sometimes think I would want to change, but probably, given the chance, I would do exactly the same as I did. No regrets.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 5 clear forks in the road starting with my first love at twelve and coming full circle over 50 years back to her. Two forks, someone intervened. The others I chose. Not too many regrets.

Sent by carrier pigeon
Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Why change anyhing now? It's been an interesting trip so far and I plan on playing it out to the conclusion. Who's to say that one road taken is better than another? I like what I do (not what I planned on doing, but whatever is?), I like (most) of the people I have to interact with and the few close friends I have. I've met some really great people over the last 70 years and I've met some that should have been "unmet"...but you never know what's around the next corner and that's what makes it interesting.

Would I change anything? Sure, who wouldn't? Maybe be born rich instead of overwhelmingly handsome and charming? Nah!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
There are lots of things I sometimes think I would want to change, but probably, given the chance, I would do exactly the same as I did. No regrets.
Actually, I have one regret. If I had it to do over I'd buy 1,000 shares of Microsoft in 1986, the day after I got shut out of the IPO.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking back on your life, if there was one thing you wish you could change, what would it be? And explain please.

Like many others, there are not many things that I would change. One that I do think about: I should not have trusted my ex-partner when he wanted to re-write our partnership agreement The change allowed him to force me out later....with me getting about 50 cents on the dollar of the value of the 12 year old very successful architectural biz. OTOH, we are still financially sound and I avoided having to deal with that bastard for the past 15+ years

A couple things that I would NOT change:

Marrying my best friend and long-suffering wife, Kathy

Buying a little Japanese sports car in December 1999
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

To be serious - I would not change anything. To really love and be loved is all that matters. The rest is just filling time - - be it making money, being a success, building an ego, living out dreams, whatever......

Quick Reply: ToeKneeR started it! (a new thread idea for a slow forum day)