S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Toshiba external drive back up not working? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/toshiba-external-drive-back-up-not-working-1183085/)

Lainey 03-25-2018 06:58 AM

Toshiba external drive back up not working?

I have a Toshiba external hard drive. It used to back up regularly with a program called NIT, now it's called EZ? Anyway, it appears it no longer is backing up my files though I have it scheduled to do so. The only items I really care about on the PC are my photos. I'm guessing there is some new software out there, free, or maybe not free? Perhaps the last update of Windows 10 is not compatible.

Any suggestions? SIMPLE suggestions? I'm not sure where to look or what might be safe to download if there even is anything out there that works with this drive, something that is not cloud based. I could still copy and paste my photos to this drive as a backup, but I liked that it backed up automatically.
Edit: I found a patch on their web site, let's see if it works without crashing my computer.

Zippy 03-25-2018 07:48 AM

Have you been to their website-support? They might have software or they might have a FAQ.

Lainey 03-25-2018 08:54 AM

I did find a software update. It's backing up now 98% done...we'll see if I can locate the file after.

dlq04 03-25-2018 10:40 AM

We have discussed this subject before. To make sure your data is safe you want to back it up with a local back up and an off-site or online backup. Personally, I don’t think you can have too many backups. I have two local and two off site. I have a portable drive that does a backup hourly and another that does a complete clone of my entire machine every night. In other words, if my Mac died I could plug it into a new one without ever reloading a single program. Having a backup or two at home is fine unless there's a fire, flood, or theft that eliminates everything in your home, all at once. Therefore, I backup all my photos to the cloud with 50GB’s for $1/month. I could include files/documents there as well but elect not to. For my second offsite backup I have a portable hard drive that I store in a different physical location. At a minimum I update it a couple times a year. I know I could set a calendar reminder to do it more often if I wish.

When it comes to photos, I see no reason not to use the cloud as part of the plan.

Remember, all drives will failure, sooner or later!

Lainey 03-25-2018 03:42 PM

OK, back up worked. I don't care for the path I have to take if, for example, I wanted to locate a photo from a particular time. I'll have to look into that, as well as the cloud. I also have a photos on various flash drives, not very organized . I think I need to hire you, Dave.

Scooterboy 03-25-2018 04:04 PM

I keep all of my files (mostly pictures and files from service work for my old employer) on a portable drive and also back them up to a cloud service. All photos are organized by event and date.

Time to start organizing Lainey. It is well worth the time spent.

Lainey 03-25-2018 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 24437976)
I keep all of my files (mostly pictures and files from service work for my old employer) on a portable drive and also back them up to a cloud service. All photos are organized by event and date.

Time to start organizing Lainey. It is well worth the time spent.

Oh the photos are organized. Each year, has a few folders, special events get separate folders. The flash drives are accessible, I just need to organize a list of what's on what a bit better.

Scooterboy 03-25-2018 06:55 PM

I never liked USB flash drives. I’ve had to many of them go bad via static spark plus they are too easy to lose. I only use them as a temporary transfer device.

dlq04 03-25-2018 08:16 PM

I agree on flash drives, if that's the same as thumb drives. I did a car club project (40 yr history) and made 75 separate copies on thumb drives. At least 10% of the drives were bad right from start. Need, another example, I got a very large thumb drive as a Christmas gift. I didn't use it five times and it went bad. I wouldn't trust them for anything important.

Lainey 03-26-2018 04:14 AM

Hmm I've never had issue with the flash drives..they are in a little baggie in the desk drawer so I could grab them if the house was on fire. :LOL: I'll have to look into cloud storage if it's as inexpensive as Dave says. There is an option on the back up drive menu to back up to the cloud.