S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tour de France

Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Funny enough, my Trek helmet was pushing year 5 last year, so replaced it with a Giro MIPS last year. Glad to know it's a great helmet - I'm just happy they had something to go around my 7 7/8 noggin.

And yeah - GF_Trunkie and I caught the highlight reel of today. What a slugfest on that last climb.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Fast stage today. Froome still back by a fraction. Nice to see a Frenchmen win on Bastile Day. Good young rider.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

:Iagree:
Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Great choice. Giro is giving me a 30% crash discount on a new MIPS helmet due to the crash I had. That helmet saved my life, I hope you never have to experience what I did.
Wife picked it up. It fits well. I like the adjuster crank. To be pedantic, it's the Giro Savant MIPS in traffic cone orange.
I'm trying to figure out where I can stick on my mirror.
it doesn't have any flat surfaces.
The hard part of being so damn handsome is it's hard to find one that improves your looks.
perhaps full face with visor would do the trick.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Wife picked it up. It fits well. I like the adjuster crank. To be pedantic, it's the Giro Savant MIPS in traffic cone orange.
I'm trying to figure out where I can stick on my mirror.
it doesn't have any flat surfaces.
The hard part of being so damn handsome is it's hard to find one that improves your looks.
perhaps full face with visor would do the trick.
Good choice, that is the one I am ordering in high visibility yellow. I damaged the Synthe but for more than double the price I think the Savant is fine. It has most of the features of the Synthe plus MIPS. And, all Giro helmets are industry tested for impact resistance and pass with flying colors. I have a mirror mounted at the end of my bar. I remove the end cap and a nice size mirror fits well. Same set up on the Trek Hybrid. Plus, I have the Garmin Varia Radar set up. The unit has a front and rear paired radar detection system which alerts you when cars are approaching from the rear. The front unit screen turns red when a car is 156 yds. away and as the car gets closer 12 or so white LED lights run up the side of the unit (1 at a time) so that when the last led is displayed at the top of the unit the car is right next to you. It takes about 10-12 seconds before the car is next to you so I don't even think about looking back to see if it is clear to move over. When the car passes the red warning light turns green meaning no cars in the zone.That is when I use the mirror and look back. The rear unit has 4 red flashing lights that go to 8 lights when a car is in the 156 yd zone. They are very bright .It will display 5-6 cars or motorcycles at a time on the front screen but no bicycles. I paired it with my Garmin head unit so I just needed the rear light which is sold sepeately. I can transfer the unit to my Trek hybrid very easily. The full unit costs $299, the rear only unit costs $199. My bike shop discounted it 15%. They are both rechargeable with an enclosed charger. If you don't have at least a Garmin 520 edge you must order the full unit. I believe the Garmin 1000 actually shows the position of the approaching cars which could be riding in the lane you are in if they are distracted. I love it and it gives me a little more comfort knowing what is coming up behind me.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Froome is back in yellow by 18 seconds. It was a little revenge for yesterdays loss of the yellow jersey. Next week they hit the Alps which will probably decide the winner.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I've been thinking about getting the garmin fenix 5x. supposedly it is compatible with the vario but I don;t know how it interfaces.
of course I haven't thrown a leg over the top tube in over a year so perhaps I need to ride a little before spending on more toys.
I have the older 9 speed dura-ace and ultegra grouppo. I wish I could get a sensor set to incorporate into ride data.
Disk brakes would be nice to.
of course I could be totally silly and just get a new bike and go Di2.
perhaps after I make it to the top of the driveway at least once.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I've been thinking about getting the garmin fenix 5x. supposedly it is compatible with the vario but I don;t know how it interfaces.
of course I haven't thrown a leg over the top tube in over a year so perhaps I need to ride a little before spending on more toys.
I have the older 9 speed dura-ace and ultegra grouppo. I wish I could get a sensor set to incorporate into ride data.
Disk brakes would be nice to.
of course I could be totally silly and just get a new bike and go Di2.
perhaps after I make it to the top of the driveway at least once.
I have the 11 speed Ultegra Di2 with a 32 rear sprocket for hills. My Garmin pedals have a power meter which interfaces with the Garmin for true performance analysis. Lots of stuff which I have added over the years. I would go slow and determine what your goals are before spending any $$. If you are ok with causal riding your current set up is fine. I do some racing and like to know if I am making improvements in power output and aerobic capacity with my HR monitor. I would recommend setting up a training program if you want to get fit and faster. There are many sources available for setting up one. I like Chris Carmichaels advice which is easy to understand and very effective.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 AM

Froome still has a slim lead 23 seconds with a hard ride today and the TT tomorrow. It has been an exciting tour with some insane crashes and the winner will be decided at tomorrows TT. Barguil was very impressive yesterday winning the stage. He is a great climber and I look for him to be a contender in future tours.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Barguil was very impressive yesterday winning the stage. He is a great climber and I look for him to be a contender in future tours.
Warren Barguil was something else, the last few miles. He just upped and passed the peloton & the front runners. On such a steep climb! I could feel the pain in my legs watching those guys.

Quick Reply: Tour de France