S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Trade '03 S for an '03 911 Carerra? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/trade-03-s-03-911-carerra-726856/)

paS2K 08-29-2009 05:21 PM

Trade '03 S for an '03 911 Carerra?

Maybe tweaked by Dean's thread about "other sportscars", I remembered seeing a ForSale sign on a beautiful '03 Porsche 911 Carerra Cabriolet...parked in a driveway a few miles from home: 46k miles, Lapis Blue w/tan leather, 6 speed...."excellent condition".

Tomorrow am (pending weather) I am meeting the owner for a discussion and test :drive: The price seems reasonable, but the S would have to go. How easy would it be to sell the S :banghead: I'll post pics if possible...it's a beauty

Am I crazy or what? My answer to myself has gone from yes to no about 6 times. What do YOU think? What would YOU do?

Here's the email from the owner....gives his situation in response to my query:

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:43 PM
To: jerrys2k@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Porsche 911 for sale

Jerry,

Thanks for the inquiry.

I am not he original owner. I have owned it for 3 years. I purchased it from Don Rosen who had sold the car to its original owner. I have not kept the receipts but it has been continually serviced by the dealer. The car is in perfect mechanical condition and very good cosmetic condition with som stone nicks on the front hood. The car is all original except for an aftermarket GPS/DVD/CD/XM/IPOD unit with 2 amplifiers. I have the original radio and disk changer that would go with the car if desired. Both rear tires are quite new and the frons are in very good condition. This is my 4th POrsche and the nicest. I saw a carfax when I first bought the car and it was clean. It remains so and has not been in any accidents. I don't drive it in bad weather. I have a cover for it also.

The car is pretty well loaded and originally stickered at over $100,000. It has digital computer, leather, color matched console, xenon headlams, wind screen, 6 speed manual transmission, etc.. If you want a more complete list you can submit the VIN to Porsce for a copy of the sticker or if you are serious I can get ti from Don Rosen

I am asking $XX,000 but would take an offer for a quick sale. I am not interested in acquiring a lesser sports car as I am looking to divest myself of some of the "toys".

There really is nothing quite like driving a Porsche so if you are serious give me a call at 610-xxx-xxxx to set up a test drive.

Again, thanks for the inquiry.

XXXXXX

NNY S2k 08-29-2009 05:32 PM

I say go for it, what $ you asking for your GPW?

zzziippyyy 08-29-2009 05:39 PM

Voted, P-cah > S2000

Bugsy 08-29-2009 05:42 PM

Check for any oil between the engine and clutch indicating a problem with the rear main seal. If there is....you should walk.
Coolant catch tanks are known to fail. Common.
Intermediate shaft bearing at the rear are also a known weak point. Any weird engine rattling can be a sign of the IMS failure. Expensive fix.
Stereo upgrades with the fiberoptic on 03 on is expensive for sure.
Stealerships really overcharge for basic maintenance that is no harder than on a Taurus.
That's the bad news.
The good news is that the car is really a gas. You'll love it I'm sure.

How much for the GPW and how many miles?
GL with the deal.

S1997 08-29-2009 06:20 PM

Save lots of cash for routine service, Jerry. You will miss the S! And we will all be envious! :LOL:

lig 08-29-2009 06:37 PM

Completely different animal. I have always wanted a 911 so a couple of years ago I scratched that itch.

2005 C2S coupe. Certainly faster in a straight line but honestly not as much fun to auto-x or take to the track.

For the street - the 911 is hard to beat with the exception of golf - it's kind of a PITA to stuff the bag in the rear seat.

I had planned on selling the S2000 but couldn't bring myself to part with it.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z..._1/Jeff911.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/IMG_9383.jpg

zzziippyyy 08-29-2009 06:59 PM

^ thats one sweet looking car!

paS2K 08-29-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Aug 29 2009, 09:32 PM
I say go for it, what $ you asking for your GPW?

Hey Levi...this is only an EXPLORATION :lalala:

If I went ahead, I would hope to get 14-15k for it on a private party basis. With the current over-supply of S2000 in the marketplace, I'm not sure that's gunna happen. OTOH, it IS the last of the AP1's.... :tipwink:

paS2K 08-29-2009 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=S2KNFR,Aug 29 2009, 09:42 PM] Check for any oil between the engine and clutch indicating a problem with the rear main seal.

Ted H 08-29-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Aug 29 2009, 09:19 PM
:bow: thanks....these are exactly the kind of tips that i need :hello: I know that 46k miles is nuttin with the S, but may be a different story with a 911 :suspect:

My GPW has just turned 54k miles and is....overall...in very good condition. See previous post re: $$ target ^^

RMS failure is your biggest concern. It will run about $1200 to replace. Other than that, it's a pretty reliable car. Basic yearly, one time, service costs me $450.

Flogging the S2k on the street might get you a ticket.
Flogging this car on the street will put you in jail. Just bear that in mind. Other than that, it is much more fun on a daily drive/cruise. It's easier to hit the limits in the S2k without fearing certain death. (Thus more fun on Auto X.)