S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Should I really consider doing this?
Go for it....life's too short to deny yourself
35.53%
Maybe....depends on condition of the Porsche
17.11%
R U nuts? The maintenance costs will roast your budget
19.74%
Keep the S....you're too frugal to make this jump!
10.53%
Forget the 911....sell the S! You deserve to WALK
3.95%
Why should I care?
13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Trade '03 S for an '03 911 Carerra?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '02 Spa with 60k miles went for close to what you are seeking, Jerry.
GPW/Tan should command some premium, as stated above.

Dave
Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

RMS = rear main seal,
IMS = intermediate shaft,
CPO = certified pre-owned
PPI = pre-purchase inspection

GLWS = hope it all works out for you!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNFR,Aug 29 2009, 08:42 PM
Check for any oil between the engine and clutch indicating a problem with the rear main seal. If there is....you should walk.
Coolant catch tanks are known to fail. Common.
Intermediate shaft bearing at the rear are also a known weak point. Any weird engine rattling can be a sign of the IMS failure. Expensive fix.
Stereo upgrades with the fiberoptic on 03 on is expensive for sure.
Stealerships really overcharge for basic maintenance that is no harder than on a Taurus.
That's the bad news.
The good news is that the car is really a gas. You'll love it I'm sure.

How much for the GPW and how many miles?
GL with the deal.
Those are known problems for 2003 P-cars?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Aug 30 2009, 06:27 AM
Have fun with the test drive today.
Thanks for the additional info and suggestions! The 40 minute test drive was fun this morning. Luckily the wet weather plaguing the NE held off this morning and it was actually a little sunny for our drive on some local twisties....down to the Schuylkill River and along the water for a few miles...back thru the tony estates of Gladwyne. Yes, it's a different driving experience that I could get used to...

The owner wants to sell to sell to buy an Audi A5....along with trading his 'daily driver' Accord Hybrid. He thinks that the condition of the car is worth more than dealer will give him for "trade-in" ????? It DOES seem to be well cared for and he says the annual maintenance at dealer runs him around 600 bucks. I'm going to "think about it" for the next week...as we'll be out of town.

So.....here are a few pics....what do y'all think

I the interior....and NAV is included...as well as Bluetooth set-up
Old 08-30-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Aug 29 2009, 09:32 PM
I say go for it, what $ you asking for your GPW?
Levi-

We'll be in Lake George next Thurs/ Fri/ Sat/ Sun.....can do the deal right there! You KNOW you've always wanted GPW.... Unless we seal the deal today, however, I'll be driving the Prius.....

In any event, you should down for a visit
Old 08-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Jerry, sit in front of a mirror and make sure the person looking back at you understands the following:

1. This is your only life. this is not the practice life, or the warm-up life. this is it. You won't get to buy a porsche in your next life.

2. You are running out of years. We are Vintage and that means over 40 and for you, over 60. You don't really have time to think about buying a Porsche "some other time." Before you know it, the kids will be talking to you about giving up your license.

3. You cannot take the money with you. Even if you could, where would you spend it? Are they going to put a Mall in your coffin?

4. Porsches have resale value. If you don't like it after a year, sell it. The whole experiment will probably cost you under $6k including sales tax, annual maintenance and depreciation. The stock market has lost way more than that for you, and you didn't get to enjoy a dollar of it.

5. You can always buy another S2000. I bet that in one year you can get an AP2 for what you grt for the AP1.

If you really and truly understand all of this and you still are not sure, then don't buy it. You don't want it enough.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Aug 30 2009, 10:17 AM
Jerry, sit in front of a mirror and make sure the person looking back at you understands the following:

1. This is your only life. this is not the practice life, or the warm-up life. this is it. You won't get to buy a porsche in your next life.

2. You are running out of years. We are Vintage and that means over 40 and for you, over 60. You don't really have time to think about buying a Porsche "some other time." Before you know it, the kids will be talking to you about giving up your license.

3. You cannot take the money with you. Even if you could, where would you spend it? Are they going to put a Mall in your coffin?

4. Porsches have resale value. If you don't like it after a year, sell it. The whole experiment will probably cost you under $6k including sales tax, annual maintenance and depreciation. The stock market has lost way more than that for you, and you didn't get to enjoy a dollar of it.

5. You can always buy another S2000. I bet that in one year you can get an AP2 for what you grt for the AP1.

If you really and truly understand all of this and you still are not sure, then don't buy it. You don't want it enough.
....but only with points 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Now, would you tell Kathy for me?

She thought that I was going out today to "buy the Sunday paper".....and asked why it took me so long....
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Aug 30 2009, 10:15 AM
Levi-

We'll be in Lake George next Thurs/ Fri/ Sat/ Sun.....can do the deal right there! You KNOW you've always wanted GPW.... Unless we seal the deal today, however, I'll be driving the Prius.....

In any event, you should down for a visit
Jerry
We'll see what the weather brings next weekend. It would be good to see you again.
Levi
Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Aug 30 2009, 07:43 AM
If you're really frugal,
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Bill nailed it for you, Jerry. Depreciation really slows around $30k, especially for older cabrios in clean condition.

That looks just like mine, but I have grey interior. That steering wheel is an option as are the white dials. Nice and expensive center stack. I've got this like new black hardtop that would work perfect for you. By my research, that's above average milage for a 2003, and you should be able to buy it right.

Quick Reply: Trade '03 S for an '03 911 Carerra?