S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Transmission oil pump seal leak

Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jun 1 2010, 01:54 PM
...The clutch plate doesn't show any wear, just oil saturation. I intend to just replace the plate, but do you think I should change out the T/O bearing and pressure plate?
I would recommend it. It's one of those "while the patient's open" deals. You'd hate to have a failure with the PP 6 months or a year from now and have to pay to tear it down again.

The flywheel should be in good enough shape to just resurface but I'd replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings. I'd have them check the slave cylinder too.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^Sounds like a plan. Will do!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I just said the almost exact thing, only with way less authority, but my post got lost in the aether.

I remember that incident at the TCR - don't do it again this year.

JonasM
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM

^Any backing that I do this year, I'll be sure to have at least two "trusted" spotter's behind me!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with the dealer and service department but I'd ask for my old parts to be returned before they start. If you have the old ones in hand at least you'll know they replaced them with something.

If they ask you why tell them you're starting a shrine.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Glenn,

Just catching up with this one; sorry to hear of your problems. There are only three reasons I can think of for a front tranny seal to fail - dried out, cracked or torn for some reason, or the metal mating surface is uneven for some reason. I think it's unlikely it's the first as hundreds, if not thousands, of owners have low mileage S2000 that have been sitting most of their life. Mine for example only had five thousands more miles but was two years older. I'm not saying it can't happen; after all I did list it first. I'm inclinded to think it's number two since you've indicated the tranny took a hit. As for number three, that's extremely unlikely although I have heard of rare cases.

I agree with Raymo. I'd definitely replace the replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings. The flywheel may need a quick resurfacing and they can check the ring gear as long as it's right there for inspection.

When done, all should be as good as new.

As for other Vintage folks I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep over this, unless you are looking for an excuse to drive your car.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM

^Good idea Mike. It sound's that you have had some problem's in the past.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jun 1 2010, 02:07 PM
Glenn,

Just catching up with this one; sorry to hear of your problems. There are only three reasons I can think of for a front tranny seal to fail - dried out, cracked or torn for some reason, or the metal mating surface is uneven for some reason. I think it's unlikely it's the first as hundreds, if not thousands, of owners have low mileage S2000 that have been sitting most of their life. Mine for example only had five thousands more miles but was two years older. I'm not saying it can't happen; after all I did list it first. I'm inclinded to think it's number two since you've indicated the tranny took a hit. As for number three, that's extremely unlikely although I have heard of rare cases.

I agree with Raymo. I'd definitely replace the replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings. The flywheel may need a quick resurfacing and they can check the ring gear as long as it's right there for inspection.

When done, all should be as good as new.

As for other Vintage folks I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep over this, unless you are looking for an excuse to drive your car.
I knew that the combined intellect/experience of the Vintage group would provide me solace in my time of dispair.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jun 1 2010, 06:07 PM
^Good idea Mike. It sound's that you have had some problem's in the past.
Not this car. More the collective wisdom of folks like my Dad and others like xviper, slows2k, Spitfires2k, and dlq04.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Xviper identified the problem before Honda did.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil pump seal leak