S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

TVR announces new vehicles coming

Old 06-13-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default TVR announces new vehicles coming

So here is some exciting news for sports car fans. TVR, which was purchased by new owners a year or two ago, is coming out with new cars designed by Gordon Murray of McClaren road cars fame and engines by Cosworth. I've always had a fondness for TVRs. They had great design, unique (if not beautiful) looks and wonderful performance. Many of their later vehicles didn't make it to the states before they went bust. I hope they produce these for US export. But given the two brand names attached to the product, i doubt they will b e "affordable" sports cars. here is the article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/mo...on-murray.html

So what do you think of this news?*

*Please assume we have all heard comments about the reliability of British sports cars for about 50 years now.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I think we'll never see them stateside.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

"“The days when Britain ruled the waves with Triumph and Austin Healey and MG and stuff: that was just fantastic. Those weren't high performance cars but they were fun cars. Now that we've got all the speed cameras and all the rest of it now, I honestly think if we could build an affordable, stiff, great handling, good looking little sports car that would be a better achievement than doing another supercar."

Ok He lost me right here. Those days are history. I don't think it will never make it to the US. Sounds like a speed governed Japanese Miata. The Miata would probably be more reliable. Wonder if will have retro Lucas gauges.

I was parked next to a bright orange McLaren the other day. Beautiful car but way too much money and way to much orange.

i wish him luck maybe he'll put in the first sportmode autocruise.

fltsfshr
Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They were a classy looking car with great performance. I can’t tell too much from the photo provided in your link – the lower half is shrouded by vegetation. I suppose those classy looks and performance would need modification in order to comply with NHTSA’s bumper laws, federal emission standards, etc.

You can by a used TVR a reasonable cost; several are listed on the British Autotrader.

I don’t think we’ll see them stateside either.

gary

Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Since TVR's for a time used MGA engines, I got'a wish them well. I like the early 60s TVR's, i.e. 1962 for example. Long nose, chopped rear, tin top, and racy look. After that, I don't recall any that did much for me. I've no idea what iStream is. I don't really see the British Cottage Industry coming back to the USA anytime soon.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
"“The days when Britain ruled the waves with Triumph and Austin Healey and MG and stuff: that was just fantastic. Those weren't high performance cars but they were fun cars. Now that we've got all the speed cameras and all the rest of it now, I honestly think if we could build an affordable, stiff, great handling, good looking little sports car that would be a better achievement than doing another supercar."

Ok He lost me right here. Those days are history. I don't think it will never make it to the US. Sounds like a speed governed Japanese Miata.

fltsfshr
I think you missed this part.

"The new car, Edgar says, will be powered by a new engine - a classic, normally aspirated V8 driving the rear wheels of the car - developed by another legendary British name in racing, Cosworth."
Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 AM

If it meets with real sales success, I'm pretty sure it will come here. Rich people invest in car companies to make money. Contracting with name brands like Cosworth and Murray is a good sign that he is going for international credibility.