S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Type 2 Diabetes

Old 12-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type 2 Diabetes

Welcome to the rest of my life. I was diagnosed as diabetic in August this year, and have been trying to manage my glucose levels ever since. Diet, exercise, and Metformin seem to be helping so far, but still a long ways to go.

The upside is I get to substituteproteins and fats for carbs, so it's sausage and eggs instead of oatmeal for breakfast! Just no toast and OJ.

So far, so good; just one more hazard of being old and lazy, I guess.

Dave
Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Sorry to hear Dave, my wife has been a type 1 since she was a young-un, I think you'll be fine if you watch yourself.
Nice to see you posting.
Levi
Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 PM

yeah just watch your carbs, exercise and get your hemoglobin a1c checked out every 3 months i believe.

Originally Posted by parkerdt
Welcome to the rest of my life. I was diagnosed as diabetic in August this year, and have been trying to manage my glucose levels ever since. Diet, exercise, and Metformin seem to be helping so far, but still a long ways to go.

The upside is I get to substituteproteins and fats for carbs, so it's sausage and eggs instead of oatmeal for breakfast! Just no toast and OJ.

Dave
Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Thanks, Levi. It's just yet another reason to get up from the computer, occasionally!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Dave

Ask your MD about Januvia. Go to a hospital that has classes about managing diabetes. Your insurance should cover it. Take care!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Dave
you will be fine.. exercise really helps and losing a little weight will possibly make type 2 go away. you did not get a death notice as long as you realize you must control it.
Good luck to ya.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

My son has it. He's on the same meds as you, and an additional injection of non insulin medication. They just changed his medication due to insurance formulary. They need to keep those ac numbers in check. You need to do the frequent blood testing too. It's all a PIA, but you likely know if you don't keep it in check, insulin could be in your future.

My son came close to that about a year ago. He was not being a good patient.

He's doing better now, but if he lost the extra weight he's carrying, he could probably ditch many of the meds they have him on.

One must be very diligent.......
Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

Dave
+1 has had type2 diabetes for a number of years. I think if you're eating a lot of fats, particularly sausage, etc. you're heading for high triglycerides and heart attack risk. Men should be eating no more than 75 grams of carbs with meals. You will need to eat some carbs in order to have energy. A good balanced diet with lots of veggies, fruits like cantaloupe or melon and protein from sources like fish, chicken or turkey would be a healthy way to manage your glucose levels. Jim has managed for years to stay out of dangerous levels. He does take metformin and he does exercise but not a great deal. we just watch the carbs and he tests his glucose daily. His A1Cs are always good. We went to a nutritionist back when he was diagnosed in order to learn how to plan meals, etc. and eat well. He eats an eggbeater omelet with a slice of whole grain toast, oatmeal, fruit and milk for breakfast every morning. Occasionally he has some turkey bacon with breakfast as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 AM

I was diagnosed over a year ago, and now I'm off the metformin and my A1C is back to below diabetic levels. I did exactly what you're doing. Make sure your carbs are complex carbs, i.e. whole grains, and limit them. My dinners now are usually vegetables and meat. I got a little more active than I had been, and that seems to have done the trick. Keep doing what you're doing now, and you should do just fine
Old 12-12-2013, 03:01 PM

Hi Val, Lainey, Tony, Barb and all!

Thanks for the good and encouraging words!

My Doctor has me on no more than 100-120 grams of carbs per day; let alone 75 per meal! As Tony said, complex ones, and ones low on the glycemic index. Most of the calorie deficit is made up in protein, but some in fats like Flax and almonds. My A1C last week was 5.8 just a tad above normal range after 3 months, so at least I know if I work hard, I can manage it, right now. Insulin is definitely in my future if I don't lose another bunch of weight and if I stop exercising. We coordinated all this with my cardiologist; after 3 months, my triglicerides are 104 and total cholesterol is 123. So, so far so good!

Oatmeal and most any grains, even whole wheat ones, send my glucose through the roof, and it stays there, for hours and hours; while it was heart healthy, it wasn't glucose friendly. Steel cut Irish oats (less processing) are better, but I don't have time to cook those except on weekends. Interestingly, plain ground corn prepared as grits barely moves my glucose levels. We've got a miller just down the road, and he grinds enough ever year so that I am set, I think, until next year.

Mediterranean diet, my Doctor calls it; translated to American food it is like the South Beach diet. Fortunately, I like Olive Oil!

Dave

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by parkerdt' timestamp='1386804377' post='22918401

Dave
+1 has had type2 diabetes for a number of years. I think if you're eating a lot of fats, particularly sausage, etc. you're heading for high triglycerides and heart attack risk. Men should be eating no more than 75 grams of carbs with meals. You will need to eat some carbs in order to have energy. A good balanced diet with lots of veggies, fruits like cantaloupe or melon and protein from sources like fish, chicken or turkey would be a healthy way to manage your glucose levels. Jim has managed for years to stay out of dangerous levels. He does take metformin and he does exercise but not a great deal. we just watch the carbs and he tests his glucose daily. His A1Cs are always good. We went to a nutritionist back when he was diagnosed in order to learn how to plan meals, etc. and eat well. He eats an eggbeater omelet with a slice of whole grain toast, oatmeal, fruit and milk for breakfast every morning. Occasionally he has some turkey bacon with breakfast as well.

Quick Reply: Type 2 Diabetes