S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Used Ridgeline?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
There are two boats I will haul with the used truck. The biggest of the two is under 3000 pounds. I will haul them about ten miles twice a year unless they need work and have to come out of the water mid season. I may sell the two small boats and get a slightly bigger boat that would weigh in at 3500 to 4000 with trailer.

I do not have a trailer for my big boat and I have no plans to buy a trailer for it or to haul it. That boat with a trailer would weigh in at around 8500 pounds, dressed. It is too wide to be legally towed without permits, so I let the pros take it. They do not get permits, but the cops know them and leave them alone.
Either the Ridgeline or a F150 4x4 will be more than adequate for that weight.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Hey, Bill...this will definitely tow your boat (and then some!)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

$76K
Old 11-05-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I already tried that approach up above gene.
Sadly Bill is secure is his manliness and doesn't need to express it in a more demonstrative fashion.

At least on land anyways.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm currently torn between V-6 and V-8 power. Experienced towers tell me to only look at trucks with the bigger V-8s and diesel engines. I'm having trouble following this advice, but I am trying to focus on trucks with V-8 power, which eliminates the Ridgeline....
Old 11-06-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

For the load you previously mentioned (3k to 4k) and the relatively short distance involved either V6 or V8 will work. If you can locate a vehicle that has been already set up for towing (electric brake controller, Trans.cooler and maybe manual transmission) you won't need a diesel or for that matter a large V8. The Ridgeline's towing capacity I believe is 5K pounds, your 4000# boat and trailer might be too close to max. if you load the Ridgeline with passengers and their gear.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Allow me to spin it differently Bill.
how many times a year do you really intend to tow anything?
what is the daily rental fee of a pickup with a big V-8 with towing capability?
multiply those two numbers.
divide that number into your budget for a used truck.
Does it still make sense? Where will you keep ti and how often will you drive it?
My experience is trucks don't do well sitting in a driveway.
My father in law's ford exploder went to absolute junk in two years.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Allow me to spin it differently Bill.
how many times a year do you really intend to tow anything?
what is the daily rental fee of a pickup with a big V-8 with towing capability?
multiply those two numbers.
divide that number into your budget for a used truck.
Does it still make sense? Where will you keep ti and how often will you drive it?
My experience is trucks don't do well sitting in a driveway.
My father in law's ford exploder went to absolute junk in two years.
Jerry, I have not been able to find a company that rents 4wd pickups in Falmouth. Currently I use a hauler to launch transport and pull 3 boats. Let's say the current need calls for 8 or 9 trips per year. Two of those trips will continue to be handled by a hauler due to boat size and lack of trailer, so 6 or 7 that I could do myself. Under this schedule, your suggestion would be a most reasonable alternative. I could try to launch the two boats on the same day and only pay for a one day rental. I might be able to combine other moves as well. So let's say I could get it down to 3 or 4 rentals per year for the current schedule. Based on the cost to rent a 4wd truck off Cape I'm guessing the cost per rental would be $150 per day all in. So say $600 per year. But my plan is to give myself the ability to haul a boat around to different parts of the Cape to chase the bite. I would still need a truck of my own for that.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

That fishing sounds like a lot of work!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Jerry, I have not been able to find a company that rents 4wd pickups in Falmouth. Currently I use a hauler to launch transport and pull 3 boats. Let's say the current need calls for 8 or 9 trips per year. Two of those trips will continue to be handled by a hauler due to boat size and lack of trailer, so 6 or 7 that I could do myself. Under this schedule, your suggestion would be a most reasonable alternative. I could try to launch the two boats on the same day and only pay for a one day rental. I might be able to combine other moves as well. So let's say I could get it down to 3 or 4 rentals per year for the current schedule. Based on the cost to rent a 4wd truck off Cape I'm guessing the cost per rental would be $150 per day all in. So say $600 per year. But my plan is to give myself the ability to haul a boat around to different parts of the Cape to chase the bite. I would still need a truck of my own for that.
Chase the bite...I've never heard that expression. I guess at your age it's a bit safer than "chasing tail."

Quick Reply: Used Ridgeline?