S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vacation Plans 2017

Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,566 Posts

That sounds really nice. I've been looking for a trip that includes Paris, Monet's gardens at Giverny, and Normandy. Think I found it. Not sure when we can go, but it's definitely on my list.

http://www.amawaterways.com/paris_and_normandy-2016
Old 10-25-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
That sounds really nice. I've been looking for a trip that includes Paris, Monet's gardens at Giverny, and Normandy. Think I found it. Not sure when we can go, but it's definitely on my list.

http://www.amawaterw...d_normandy-2016
That looks nice, too! Our last trip overseas was to Paris in 2008, so we figured it was time to go elsewhere, though we do love Paris (and France)!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,566 Posts

^ The +1 has never been to Paris or Normandy. Neither one of us has been to Giverny. Since he paints, and Impressionists are our favorite painters, it's a big draw.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Gene, we went a few years ago and drove it. We had a blast and it remains one of our favorite vacations still.

We went in late September and did the whole B&B thing. We booked the first night in Clifden, and the last two in Dublin before we left the US. After that, we found places to stay each night in whatever town we were in/decided to stop/wanted to start the next day. We had some rough ideas (https://www.google.com/maps/@52.8881248,-9.1650345,10.5z/data=!4m2!6m1!1s1bIIj6uMlZQH12IfBNll3fmx3OIk?hl=en ) and then changed as things happened. We got lucky too, we had about 1/2 day of rain total in the 10 days.

We rented a car. We sprung for the extra dollars for an automatic. We were upgraded from our little Ford to a BMW 3 series. It was 'big' for some of the smaller roads, but we got by.

Our basic itinerary ended up being: Land at Shannon Airport, early AM. Went to Cliffs of Moher and Doolin Caves on the way to Galway. Couldn't find our B&B. Called. Got "You're in Galway City? We're in Galway County, in Clifden. Go west on N59 about an hour and a half and you'll find us". D'oh. Not a great start. However, that little miscue and a chat with the innkeeper led us to a great drive called the Sky Drive, then to Kylemore Abbey and along some lakes then back towards Ennis. Originally we had planned on the Aran Isles, but she basically told us - boat out, hike the island, buy your white sweater, then wait for the boat back. We chose the countryside instead. Then down towards Dingle, the Ring of Kerry, along the Southern coast towards Cobh. Finally up towards Cashel, then Waterford and finally Dublin. Came home from Dublin airport.

On the road we stopped wherever we wanted. Little historical sites, ruins, shops, pubs, pull-offs on the road overlooking anything interesting, and even a beach. I think we ended up driving about 800 miles in the 7 days on the road, but saw all kinds of things. Most days we started after breakfast, 9/930ish, and found our next place 5-6 PM.

I know I've shared these before: https://goo.gl/photos/yjha3KPnHNJeVDM79

G
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 AM

^ Thanks, Gary. That's very helpful! Hope to do something similar, but the planning has just begun.
I just looked at your photos again, and that has given me added incentive to go!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

2017 is not set in stone, outside of Dragon and Spring Fling events. Have not confirmed any soccer trips to Indy or Boston, but I am scheduled to run a half Marathon in Long beach next October. If soft plans firm up, a tip to Munich for the Christkindlmarkt.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by joephotographer
2017 is not set in stone, outside of Dragon and Spring Fling events. Have not confirmed any soccer trips to Indy or Boston, but I am scheduled to run a half Marathon in Long beach next October. If soft plans firm up, a tip to Munich for the Christkindlmarkt.
We did that back in 2003, along with a visit to the one in Rothenburg. Would love to do it again!

The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (12-15-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We had hoped to get back to our timeshare in Grand Cayman in 2017, but that is very up in the air for the moment. If the week we "inherited" from my in-laws doesn't sell before August, we may just go back to Daytona Beach and save a bit of $$.

Rex
Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Driving up to Salem, Oregon for the August 21 total solar eclipse and hooking up with an Astronomy group there. We've seen and shot total and annular eclipses in Montana, Cabo San Lucas, Santa Catalina Island, Aruba, Munich, Puerto Vallarta, and St. George, Utah, but this will be the first one I will have shot through the big 8" Meade LX 200 scope.
Very Cool! Assuming that I can get time off from work, we'll be traveling to see the eclipse as well. Not really sure where, though. I live outside of Chicago and the location in the country where totality will be longest is in southern Illinois. However, there's no guarantee that the skies will be clear, so we may end up traveling elsewhere to see it. I've had a 6" reflector for nearly 40 years and a couple of years ago purchased a much more portable Meade 90 mm telescope.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Gonna be a lean year for travel. We spent the big bucks on our Sandal's Bahamas trip in September. Just found out my wife's contract is being terminated 9 months early on November 30th, so she is looking for work again. She makes a good hourly rate, but no paid vacation and is typically out of work for a month every year when they get tight with 4th quarter spending.

Quick Reply: Vacation Plans 2017