S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Very few of us are better off

Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

When it comes to cars 68% of my purchases have been foreign. It would have been near 100% except my wife’s mother worked in GM management and we bought her discounted cars as kid haulers when she was ready to get a new one. The Japanese cars easily won out based on quality, value, and mileage where as the British won on styling, handling and fun.

11 Japanese - Honda (3), Nissan (3), Subaru (3), Toyota (2)
7 British - MG (5), Triumph (2)
1 German - Audi (1)
9 American - Chevy (5), Pontiac (2), Cadillac (1), Ford (1)

My daily driver’s were always Japanese and I took a lot of grief for it over the years working just north of Detroit. It never stopped me, since I figured I should strive to get the best I could for my hard earned dollar. Same today, I probably would be checking out Kia, for example, first. Auto companies are no different, that’s why Ford and GM are investing billions in China, etc. They are no different than Apple.

We can't turn back the clock or change what people value. On the other hand, there has been I believe a push back for example in over-seas call centers which in general are the worst experience one can have. Apple, for example, gets it. All their call centers that I've ever reached were in the US and I let them know it, since I'm sure management monitors calls from time to time.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
When it comes to cars 68% of my purchases have been foreign. It would have been near 100% except my wife’s mother worked in GM management and we bought her discounted cars as kid haulers when she was ready to get a new one. The Japanese cars easily won out based on quality, value, and mileage where as the British won on styling, handling and fun.

11 Japanese - Honda (3), Nissan (3), Subaru (3), Toyota (2)
7 British - MG (5), Triumph (2)
1 German - Audi (1)
9 American - Chevy (5), Pontiac (2), Cadillac (1), Ford (1)

My daily driver’s were always Japanese and I took a lot of grief for it over the years working just north of Detroit. It never stopped me, since I figured I should strive to get the best I could for my hard earned dollar. Same today, I probably would be checking out Kia, for example, first. Auto companies are no different, that’s why Ford and GM are investing billions in China, etc. They are no different than Apple.

We can't turn back the clock or change what people value. [b] On the other hand, there has been I believe a push back for example in over-seas call centers which in general are the worst experience one can have. Apple, for example, gets it. All their call centers that I've ever reached were in the US and I let them know it, since I'm sure management monitors calls from time to time.[b]
I'm pretty sure Chrysler has returned their call centers to the US. Recently I had to put a stop on Mom's newspapers and was pleased to find out that the local paper (owned by a larger corporation)now has a call center in Phoenix. Calls used to go to the Philippines, and the experience was not a good one.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

One of the most interesting speeches I have heard was one given by the owner of a Cadillac agency, several years ago. It was on the topic of foreign and domestic cars. He went down the line of the various models he sold, and explained how this transmission was assembled in Germany, this electronic part was made in Japan, those wheels were made here and those tires were made there. (sorry I cannot quote him) But by the time he was finished, we all agreed with his statement that there is no such thing as an American made car, or a foreign made car, speaking purely, of course.

This may not add anything to this discussion, but it was an eye opener I thought I'd share. I'm sure there are articles for the finding if you want to read up and agree/dispute my comments.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
One of the most interesting speeches I have heard was one given by the owner of a Cadillac agency, several years ago. It was on the topic of foreign and domestic cars. He went down the line of the various models he sold, and explained how this transmission was assembled in Germany, this electronic part was made in Japan, those wheels were made here and those tires were made there. (sorry I cannot quote him) But by the time he was finished, we all agreed with his statement that there is no such thing as an American made car, or a foreign made car, speaking purely, of course.

This may not add anything to this discussion, but it was an eye opener I thought I'd share. I'm sure there are articles for the finding if you want to read up and agree/dispute my comments.
Of course you are Dead On..... these days. When it comes to Flag Flying people need to pick another product.

And I'll toss one out - Stihl - at least I think so. They make great chain saws (bought one today), weed wakers, leaf blowers, etc. They are ranked #1 in many of these hand held 2-cycle tools. And there's NO discount at any of the stores that sell their stuff (I tried). I like that. Quality stuff, not cheap but made in America! But the key is QUALITY!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stihl..

http://www.stihl.com...-structure.aspx

German

great products none the less

slight history.. the X is German, her Grandfather, hid in Stihl factory an escaped being discovered for who he was.. claiming to be a Stihl worker..

back to auto's.. when we were living in Germany, it was tricky back then to get a Z4.. they were made in Alabama.. the waiting list were horrific..

Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
The literature in my hand reads "Built in America. Believing in America." And they show a drawing of the US covered by our flag saying they are #1 in chain saws. Along with a heading that says "We export power"....... but it doesn't say from Germany
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goebbels School of Business... feed'm anything... they'll believe it....
Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morris

In 1988 I bought a Ford Festiva: designed by Mazda, manufactured by Kia in South Korea, sold in both the US and Japan with a blue oval on the front of the car. It was a soulless little econobox, but it did what was expected of it for 150k miles. So my Ford was a Japanese design manufactured in South Korea. Is that confusing enough?