S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Veterinarian Experiences

Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Smile Veterinarian Experiences

I need to bitch about my recent vet visits with my Zoro. I am wondering if my experiences with exorbitant tests and fees is now normal across the country.

On 7-1-08 I took my Zoro to the vet. He was okay, but I noticed a small lump on his side and I was wondering if his sight was failing, so I took him in with those concerns. The bill came to $471.95 before I left and they really wanted me to bring him back for more blood tests. The results they came up with was, yes, his sight is failing and the bump seemed to be fat (cytology).

On, 7-13-08, Zoro seemed to be feeling worse and worse all day, although he was fine in the morning. I took him to the Animal Urgent Care (it was Sunday) and I paid $1,112.00 to spring him this morning. They did blood tests and an IV, but I refused the $200 X rays, since I know he wasn't hit by a car. I had to sign a paper that I was not following their wishes when I checked him out. They wanted me to take him directly to my regular vet for more IV and blood tests. I brought him home and am watching to see how he is before I go throw another $500 to over $1,000 for another round of any test they can think up.

I think Zoro got bit by a spider and got sick. They shaved his chest since he seemed to be sore there and licking there, and it is black and blue. They said he had a crusty spot which to me indicates where the bite was. My regular vet called and talked to me this morning to find out why I hadn't rushed over there with him after I got him out of the Urgent Care Vet. I told her I think there are too many unneeded, expensive tests being done, and that I just want him on an anti-biotc, since that is probably what they'd do in any case anyway. She said I could come pick up the meds without having to bring him in. That's a relief.

So, my question is, am I the only one with this experience of mucho dollars and mucho tests? My old vet that I used when I lived in LA, would say, "Well, we don't know what it is exactly but we'll put him on anti-biotics and maybe something for diahrehea or vomiting, and call me in a day and let me know how he's doing." He didn't do a ton tests. If it was a limp, an x ray, perhaps. It used to be $200 for a vet visit. Is $500 the new $200?

What's going on with you, your pets and vet visits?

I know one of our members is a retired vet. I won't out him, but maybe he knows more about this from an insider's view.

^Healthy Zoro.

^Zoro now, drugged and still sick?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

That is high, we dont pay near that much. Our Boston Terrier had to have surgery on one of his legs a few months ago, the total bill was
like $800.00. Then again we dont live in California either.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

A tremendous amount of capability is now in vets hands that never was before.
X-ray and ultrasound and blood chemistry etc.
this equipment is expensive and needs to be used to justify it's expense.

During the chinese gluten-melamine crisis my friend put $6,000 into his cat.

In 2001 when Cato our wiemeranar got bloat I took him into the emergency care facility at 1:00 in the morning. We ran tests to make sure. The care facility advised that we could try to make a corrective surgery attempt for between 5,000 and 6,000 but I should be aware that the outcome given his age and condition was not good.

I love my animals but cannot see spending silly money on them.
I have another acquaintance who paid for kidney surgery on their dog and it was almost 10 G's

I am seeing more and more pet health insurance offered.
I think it is geico that offers collision insurance for your pets when they are in the car.

Odd that we have millions of people who can't get health care isn't it?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Zoro has made his first successful attempt at walking. I got him to drink the water off of canned tuna and he is up now.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sure vet fee's are based on what the "market will bear" and small animal practitioners make far more than large animal practitioners in my area. My local vet does both large/small animals and always reminds me that dogs and cats pay the bills.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Patty, we've been fortunate in our experiences with our vet. I think she is reasonable with her charges. I spend about $80.00 once a year for a check up and two shots for the cat, and a second visit is about $40.00 or so. She does not charge for the office visit for the second round of shots as she does not want to give all the vaccinations at one time.

The cat got into a fight of some sorts and the bill for a bit of surgery to clean the wound was around $150.00. Local NE guy Bass had the same issue with his cat, and his bill was about $250.00. Like anything else, location can be a factor in pricing.

When our other cat was 17, she had been taking meds for a thyroid issue for a few years, occasionally they would run labs at around $60.00 to check and see if she was still on the appropriate dosage. At one point, the vet told me she wanted to run other labs. I asked for what and she was going to check overall health of kidneys or whatever. I declined the tests. The cat was 17, and I was not going to start any new medication regimen at that point. It was hard enough dealing with thyroid medication twice a day with this cat. I knew the consequences of the decision, not to do any additional lab work.

The cat we have now has had urinary problems. A year or two ago, I consented to an ultrasound to rule out other issues as the prescription food was not keeping things in check. I think I spent about $300.00 then. Had she needed surgery, another $1K was possible, but I think I would have drawn the line at anything beyond that.

My sister's dog (They live in NH) recently has been quite ill with pancreatitis. (spelling?) She's into it for around 2K, but has said, the dog is not that young, she will not subject the dog to another bout of hospitalization and IV's, for what may continue to be a recurring problem. The dog has had two bouts with this illness in a short time frame.

Science now enables the vets to do testing, expensive testing (done with expensive equipment) on our animals that was not common not that long ago. I think it's up to the pet owner to decide on how much testing they are willing to pay for AND how much to put the animal through, before proceeding with the testing or surgeries. It is not inappropriate to ask the vet, as you did today, about trying something simple before spending large amounts of money on testing.

Of course, some folks will spend a lot of money on their animals as Jerry mentioned, others have a figure in their head of how much they will spend, and make their decisions accordingly.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Damn, nearly $1600 in less than a month, that is one expensive Zorro you have there buddy.
Levi
Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What timing Patty! I had to take our two 9 year old schnauzers in for their annual checkup and shots and to have minor surgeries on each (fatty tumor on Molly's chest, sebaceous cysts on both of Precious's back hips) on Friday.

The vet suggested I have their teeth cleaned since they were going to be anesthetized anyway and I agreed. I also needed heartworm prevention medication for a year for both.

Total was a bit over $1200 which all things considered ain't all that bad.

I'd like to agree with Lainey about logic ruling the heart but when it comes to pets it's got to be the course of last resort before I can consider the logical solution. I still tear up from time to time when someone mentions the wee girl West Highland Terrier we had before these two who died suddenly at 10.

Yeah - maybe I do have a heart but you lot shouldn't count on it.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19,Jul 14 2008, 05:57 PM

I'd like to agree with Lainey about logic ruling the heart but when it comes to pets it's got to be the course of last resort before I can consider the logical solution. I still tear up from time to time when someone mentions the wee girl West Highland Terrier we had before these two who died suddenly at 10.

Yeah - maybe I do have a heart but you lot shouldn't count on it.
I'm probably all talk about being able to draw a line as to how much $ will be spent on a pet. Our old kitty died in a very unfortunate accident in our driveway. I cried for two days. I never had to make a real decision as to how much we'd spend if she got really sick.

Once I was pretty frustrated trying to get to the bottom of our other kitty's repeated urinary infections. She was dirty and smelly, and we just couldn't get it under control, in spite of many courses of antibiotics. I was "this" close to asking for the big shot (and crying while talking about it), Rick said we had to at least spend the $ to have some tests done, then decide from there what to do. I was hesitant to do the testing as if she needed surgery it was not cheap. Rick was prepared to get into it a bit deeper than I would have thought. My sweet is a bigger sap than I when it comes to animals, so we had the testing done. They found nothing that we didn't know about for sure, but a change in the type of prescription food, from dry to wet food now seems to keep her issue in control. Good thing he insisted on the testing, otherwise.... As an aside, the vet was really scratching her head as to how we could stop the repeated infections. Rick noted that the cat drank hardly any water and asked about switching her to the canned food (which STINKS). The vet thought it was a good idea, also suggested some kind of powdered enzymes (which also stink), and the cat has done well, with only a course of antibiotics here and there.

Patty, what did they come up with for the $1112.00 you spent at the Urgent Care animal hospital. What did they rule out?

How old is the kitty anyway?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I take BB to the vet for her annual physical and injections. Recently she began to have some apparent digestive problems. Her problems arose a month before she was due for her physical, so I scheduled her physical and explained the issues at the same time. She had a couple of shots, bloodwork, a complete exam and the bill was only a little over $300. I had her back in this month for her rabies injection and the vet examined her thoroughly again because she'd stopped eating. He could find nothing wrong and suggested I start changing her food over. The bill this time was $117 and included 6 months of heartguard, the rabies exam and a 3 month supply of frontline plus.
I have to drive out into the country to his office, but I love the vet. He was recommended by my son because he went to valiant efforts to save his dog's eyesight when the dog was involved in an accident. I'm amazed at how thorough he is and he seems to really adore BB. Vets here in the City charge twice what he charges and he's a very caring, dedicated vet. He also has a thriving practice on the local farms and takes care of numerous horses, cows, etc. for the farmers out in the country.
Jim went with me to take BB in both times recently and he was amazed at how thorough the exam was.
BTW, the vet drives a Toyoto MR2. He loves my S but said he couldn't afford one. Hmmmm, guess we know why.

Quick Reply: Veterinarian Experiences