S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage Autocrossers thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Vintage Autocrossers thread

So here's an idea: A thread about autocrossing.

I'd like to start with Fall Colors. If anyone is going who wants to autocross, post here. I know there are at least three of us, but I hope more join in. Novices should feel very comfortable in this setting so if you have never done it and would like to try, this will be the perfect opportunity. The event will have instructors and be very low key. I know the member who is running it (Glenn, or gs2k on the board) and he is a great, friendly guy.

But don't feel limited to Fall Colors. Post any autocross comments or questions here. If I can't answer them, someone else sure can
Old 09-11-2003, 04:21 AM

Well, this thread didn't get much response. So here I am talking to myself. (that seems to happen more as I get older.)

I thought I'd suggest a few items for "first-timers" to bring to the autocross.

1. Tire pressure gauge

2. 1/4 (or lower) tank of gas. You should have at least 2 bars showing on the gauge

3. Several bottles of water.

4. Easy release masking tape in a color that contrasts with your car.

5. Tires inflated to about 35 to 37 pounds front and 34 to 36 pounds rear. Make sure the front has about one more pound of pressure than the rear.

6. Some kind of bag to put all your junk in, because you will have to take all your junk out of the car.

7. Helmet
Old 09-11-2003, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't be at the Fall Colors, but at the prodding of PAS2K, who is one of the "proddingest" people I know, I suggest that all autoX newcomers check out: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm. You'll be glad you did.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
[B]3.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Perhaps someone should discuss the need for a good quality helmet and not one of the $59.99 wonders you can buy at Wal-Mart.I looked in the Racing/Competition forum and saw nothing on this subject and thought this would be an obvious place to post.
Next spring I'm going to re-enter the Autocross wars and I know my Simpson Snell 85 Bandit won't do....so any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2003, 05:42 AM

In looking for a helmet the most important thing is whether or not the helmet is SNELL rated. For autoXing ONLY, select a helmet which is SNELL rated either SA2000 or M2000. The M2000 is intended for use on motorcycles, but is accepted at SCCA and many other sanctioned autoX events. If you believe that you might want to run at a "driver ed" (i.e., high speed) event someday, select a SA2000 SNELL rated helmet, only, as the M2000 may not be acceptable to all "driver ed" sanctioning bodies.

After limiting your choices to SNELL rated helmets then decide which type and style of helmet you prefer. My use is almost 100% autoX and, therefore, I prefer the open face style (Mine is a Bell Mag 4). Open face helmets are less expensive, allow greater visibility, and are generally more comfortable than the other styles, BUT do not offer as much protection as the face is more exposed. Prices typically range from $180 for open face helmets to $1,000 for the full helmets with graphics and ventilation packages.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info Testut.

As an avid biker and driving school person, I go through helmets every 5 years because of regulations, therefore I have bought plenty.

I buy full-face helmets because of the bike, but keep the visor open or off when doing schools and autox events.

I suggest the same thing to everyone. Go to your local motorcycle shop and try the helmets on. It has to be tight to be safe, but not so tight it is uncomfortable. Every make has its own interpretation of size, sometimes a medium is right for me, and sometimes a small is right. I like my helmets tight; it keeps the wind noise way down on the bike.

Once you have found a model and size that works best for you, get out of the motorcycle shop! Buy your helmet on-line from someplace like this. The money saved can go towards tires.

http://www.accwhse.com/

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...Id=4&store=Main
Old 09-23-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18-gallon Rubbermaid Tote

Take the tool kit tray out from the bottom of the trunk; put that stuff in the bottom of the tote. Pack all you need for the day in the tote, put the lid on and the trunk lid will close just fine. Once you get to the autox, all you have to do is pull that one thing out of the trunk.

I'm an avid photographer, and I live in Upstate. It often rains on me and I can not be bothered worrying about my expensive camera equipment. I just put everything in that tote and let it sit in the pouring rain, and all my stuff stays dry, let alone it is so convenient to pack and unpack the car.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/240jpg/TRHP0984.JPG
18-gallon Rubbermaid Tote

Take the tool kit tray out from the bottom of the trunk; put that stuff in the bottom of the tote. Pack all you need for the day in the tote, put the lid on and the trunk lid will close just fine. Once you get to the autox, all you have to do is pull that one thing out of the trunk.

I'm an avid photographer, and I live in Upstate. It often rains on me and I can not be bothered worrying about my expensive camera equipment. I just put everything in that tote and let it sit in the pouring rain, and all my stuff stays dry, let alone it is so convenient to pack and unpack the car.
Great tip. I might look for one of those this weekend.

As for helmets, the Bell Star is the best low-cost helmet I have found that is M2000 certified. You can get them for around $100. Mine is full face with vents that work very well.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone tried Bill Simpson's new helmet line called "IMPACT"?
I'm also looking into the G-Force helmets too;great tip on the 18 gallon tote, thanks.

Quick Reply: Vintage Autocrossers thread