S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vintage Forum Weather Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy

Get someone else. Don’t push yourself
I agree!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus
Patty, thanks for the pics of the glass balls. Now I have to get the grandkids to give it a try. I wonder what other coloring method could be used so that it doesn't all gather in the middle. Any artists with an answer?
Be careful on putting them anywhere that could get stained by the food coloring!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Sometimes the worst storms are just a couple inches which switches over to rain for a while before switching back to bitter cold.
of course this happens overnight while you are asleep.
you wind up with 2 inches of slush which quickly sets into solid ice.
In this scenario it is almost impossible to use too much salt.
of course the ice will taunt you. the first shovel will bring up a nice free slab.
So does the second. it's built your enthusiasm up then it plays hardball.
Soon you're out there smashing away with a field point and chopping 1/2 inch at a time.
cell phone snugly in your coat ready to call 911 when you grip at your chest... nope
just put down some more salt, paint it white. up to almost a pound a foot for the walkway.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Sometimes the worst storms are just a couple inches which switches over to rain for a while before switching back to bitter cold.
of course this happens overnight while you are asleep.
you wind up with 2 inches of slush which quickly sets into solid ice.
In this scenario it is almost impossible to use too much salt.
of course the ice will taunt you. the first shovel will bring up a nice free slab.
So does the second. it's built your enthusiasm up then it plays hardball.
Soon you're out there smashing away with a field point and chopping 1/2 inch at a time.
cell phone snugly in your coat ready to call 911 when you grip at your chest... nope
just put down some more salt, paint it white. up to almost a pound a foot for the walkway.
I haven't had to use salt yet. Does it do anything to the soil like make it toxic for plants?

I rode a whopping 5.5 miles to get 561 more feet of gain. Brrr! I wasn't too cold except for my forehead. I'm currently up to 997,097 feet of gain.

Last edited by Kyras; 02-17-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Patty, it's not ideal, it's salt after all.
we are fortunate that we get a lot of rain annually.
So it gets washed into the soil pretty quickly.
But we are 2° north of your latitude. doesn't sound like much but it's a lot in terms of sunshine.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Patty, I'm impressed that a life long Cali girl like you is venturing out in those temps. Good for you.

I was out today. It was high 30s and pleasant. Only walked about 1.5 miles today, however I did do a few things around the house, so I've not been sitting all day.

Snow tonight. Hope it doesn't mess with my Y class tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Patty, I'm impressed that a life long Cali girl like you is venturing out in those temps. Good for you.

I was out today. It was high 30s and pleasant. Only walked about 1.5 miles today, however I did do a few things around the house, so I've not been sitting all day.

Snow tonight. Hope it doesn't mess with my Y class tomorrow.
I am adjusting, Lainey. I can deal with cold but not with heat. I walked 3 miles last night in the cold because I needed to get outside. The moon was so bright I could read my mail when I pulled it out of the box. It's a lot colder moving faster on a cycle.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
I am adjusting, Lainey. I can deal with cold but not with heat. I walked 3 miles last night in the cold because I needed to get outside. The moon was so bright I could read my mail when I pulled it out of the box. It's a lot colder moving faster on a cycle.
I'm sure it is cold on a cycle. A couple weeks ago when we headed to Falmouth MA (Cape Cod) on a warmish day, we were walking on a bike path. Rick and I agreed that neither of us has any desire to ride a bike in the cold.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Winter storm watch is out - will be a warning soon. Expecting 35 and 5+" of the white stuff tomorrow evening into Wed evening. And maybe some ice on top. That will be fun. But then Thurs it will be 56! Still crazy here.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Our snow didn't amount to too much. I had the day off, and the snow didn't keep me from going where I wanted to. Next up some rain on Thursday and Sunday.

Quick Reply: The Vintage Forum Weather Thread