S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vinyl vs Digital Which is preferred??

Old 07-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Love the EQ! You must like the tone of Fender amps. Scooped mids. Pushed bass and treble.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I restored my old Nitty Gritty. BTW... a couple of guy bought the company. They plan to start remaking the units and parts.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...ng-vinyl-scene

If it ever starts leaking from the base, strip away the silicone they applied and put on more. Mine leaked like crazy and eventually enough silcone worked.

I would not have a vinyl collection without one of these devices, it makes that big a difference.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
If it ever starts leaking from the base, strip away the silicone they applied and put on more. Mine leaked like crazy and eventually enough silcone worked.

I would not have a vinyl collection without one of these devices, it makes that big a difference.
Rebuild this puppy twice, since I bought it in 1989. Nothing cleans records like a Nitty Gritty.

Couple vinyl YT I found... showing vinyl's prowess. Even, with decade old records.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Bee Gees were my mother's favorite group when she was in her 80s.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Hmm. Interesting…I once had a Sony TTS-8000 turntable along with a Marantz Model 50 Tuner/Receiver and some JBL Voice of the Theater speakers - the sound was very good for the time. Finally, I gave them to my son who was an excellent electronics destroyer by using them as an amplifier for his guitar (I was never home during his practices, but wondered why I kept blowing output channels) - once he had them repaired they still work today, but he’s now smarter and knows the error of his ways - he mostly plays CD and MP3 as input.

I now live a simpler acoustic life where I didn’t worry about the end of a vinyl disc spinning forever once done and removing the spinning disc that destroyed my needle(s)…My iPhone along with its earbuds has solved all of my past pitfalls - even while driving in my car.

Oh, I still have a few mid-range priced components along with some wall and ceiling built-in components that are generally used as a background FM source of entertainment.

A photo of today’s mediocre in-home audio…it’s okay, but not sad.
We will have similar components, rarely used. I'll pop in CD's when I want music while cleaning. I'd like to ditch all the bulky stuff and go with satellite radio or streaming and a good set of speakers. Outside of the initial copying of CD's or downloading music to the iphone and memory sticks, I just don't keep up with a music library.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM

Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I know it's know really fair to criticize the audio via a you tube recording but I miss the extended dynamic range of modern recording.
remember good old DBX de-compressors?
the jump 50-60 dB up to 100-120 dB of range just makes so much difference.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I know it's know really fair to criticize the audio via a you tube recording but I miss the extended dynamic range of modern recording.
remember good old DBX de-compressors?
the jump 50-60 dB up to 100-120 dB of range just makes so much difference.
Yeah, YT compresses the poop outta all their audio. dbx is still around. But, they build for studio and other pro-audio touring use.
https://dbxpro.com/en/product_famili...ics-processors

I like the dynamics of a good turntable setup over most CD or 24-bit, 96k streaming. I'll agree that the digital source has WAY MORE dynamics --- like +50dB, versus ~24dB range of vinyl. Initially, this wide dynamics and bright-edged recordings catch your ear. Kinda "Wow-factor!"
However, after listening for awhile, a bit of listener fatigue can set in. It's the harmonics of instruments and vocals which come into play, with extended listening time. Good analog just seems more natural.

Should note, most of my equipment experience comes from guitars and guitar amps. Here tube technology still rules. Just because of the harmonics issues. There are very few solid-state guitar amps, that can be made to sound good --- without a ton of pre-amp pedal use or post recording studio magic.

Posted this YT example. Herb's horns, Dusty's voice, dynamics, harmonics of the instruments are so much more pleasing and natural on vinyl. Even on this, old scratchy, non Dolby noise-reduction recording, 50 year-old recording . IMHO, of course.

[I used this example, as I just got a very nice used copy off Discogs].

Last edited by windhund116; 07-17-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The change in the technology for delivering music, together with my diminished range of hearing has left me to earth based radio stations that I tune to while driving in my car and a collection of CDs that I stopped adding to about seven years ago. There is no way I'm investing in vinyl equipment and recordings again. I don't have the time or the interest in music for that sort of investment. Someone above said anyone can hear the difference. I can't hear the lyrics, let alone the difference. I have tried downloading music and I find it ridiculously complicated and/or expensive. Recently I tried downloading songs for a mix that I would play on my boat. I could have done it through Apple Play for a cost of about $100. Really??? Then i researched less expensive options. After reading a bunch of stuff on the internet, I found a site and gave it a try. I found the process mind numbingly boring and gave up after one song. Ultimately, a friend of mine did it for me and put them all on a thumb drive. I loaded them on to my notebook, but for the life of me I am unable to manipulate the order in which they play. No, they don't just drag and drop. I still have not bothered to load them onto my phone so that i can play them on my boat system. While I'm sure many of you are laughing at this point, I wonder how many people are like me and just don't care enough about music to invest this kind of time and money in the newest digital acquisition and play methodology. Someday, I may try streaming as suggested by Ken. But in the meantime, my life seems to be full and satisfying without anything more than a radio and old CDs for when I'm in my car.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Bill, I still play cassette tapes all the time in my truck. At one time I had over 200 rock & roll and doo-wop 45-rpm records. Sometime in the mid-1980s I recorded the sides I liked onto 4 compact cassette tapes and sold all the records.

The truck has a cd player installed but it is in a not-easy-to-get-to area in the extended cab, whereas the good old cassette player is right there on the dash. We still have dozens and dozens of old cd’s which the wife plays in her car.

Around the house Pandora or Comcast work good enough for our old ears. But to your point I had my youngest grandson show me how Bluetooth works.

Quick Reply: Vinyl vs Digital Which is preferred??