S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Water Heater Day

Old 03-07-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts
Default Water Heater Day

This morning I awoke to a leaky water heater. I was lucky, mine was 12 years old but I found the same model. Makes plumbing easy.
I learned something in my search that I thought I's share.

The standards for water heaters are changing. In just a short time you won't be able to buy a same as replacement. The Feds are requiring more insulation which changes the physical dimensions of the tanks.

That means if you have a water heater in a hard to get to place or built in, not only will the new ones not fit your plumbing but you'll having a hard time getting them to fit physically.

You might consider replacing your existing if it's getting old while it's still an easy hookup.

fltsfshr
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a leaking faucet for the washing machine - actually it was a Oatey single lever washing machine valve. Got the original one 15+ years ago at Homedepot. They still carry the valve in the store but the pipe threads are shorter so it's not a simple unscrew the old and screw on the new. Ended up going to HD online and had to buy the 'kit' which included the white plastic outlet box ..... About twice the money but no pipe sweating required.

Washing Machine Valve
Old 03-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^I've been thinking about mine for the past two years. It's now 12 years old and I know that's about all you usually get out of them.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 3,510 Likes on 2,375 Posts

I converted from an electric to oil water heater in my old house.
Out of pure dumb luck, the day the removed the electric unit the was a ring of water around the base.
It literally failed the day of replacement.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

All our water heaters would last a lot longer if we could easily replace the sacrificial anode. But they can be difficult to replace because they re the length of the water heater and you probably don't have enough head room to get the old one out or a new one in. If you don't know about anodes and water heaters, read this.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...er-anodes.html
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,524 Posts

While replacing the anode it is a good idea to inspect/replace the dip tube. This is the tube that takes the cold water to the bottom on the tank and not mix it with the already heated water at the top of the tank. They have been know to disintegrate and fall apart.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My water heater failed last year on the same day that I finished the install on my pool heater.

I was fortunate that it was fully covered by a 12 year warranty. (It was about 8 years old.) Unfortunately, my model was discontinued and the model they replaced it with was slightly taller. Had to do some pipe sweating to shorten the pipes.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

After seeing this tread, I go and check my hot water storage tank. Had to grab a kids beach bucket to catch the dripping...

Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have an A.O. Smith 80 gallon electric water heater that is 22 years old! When I'm back in that area of the basement, I once in a while think that we have borrowed way too much time with it and it will be leaking any time now. Maybe I should just replace it next weekend. I've been thinking that for the last 10 years now.
Of course now that I have posted this, it will more than likely go bad tonight!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
All our water heaters would last a lot longer if we could easily replace the sacrificial anode. But they can be difficult to replace because they re the length of the water heater and you probably don't have enough head room to get the old one out or a new one in. If you don't know about anodes and water heaters, read this.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...er-anodes.html
I don't believe that is needed. My current water heater, an American, was installed in 1995. So it's 20 years old. Every year, twice a year if I can remember, I drain it and oil the the blower motor for the sidewall vent. That's it. So far, so good.

Quick Reply: Water Heater Day