S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Water Heater Day

Old 12-05-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
You can also extend the life just by draining it every few years, depending on the sediment in your water supply. One house back we had a well and lots of crud in the water, so I drained it every couple years. Lots of stuff came out. I think it might make it more efficient too, but I'm not a plumber.
I think you are correct. I normally clean my well yearly by pouring down Clorox and then opening all the water outlets one at a time until I can smell the Clorox. Then closing each outlet and letting the house rest for 24 hours or more. I like to do it when we expect to be away for at least a day; and two if possible. Upon returning opening all the outlets to clear out the Clorox. Having said that I did not do it this spring. After checking I realize its been 2-1/2 years since I did it. Its on my must do list. I been draining the water heater each day now and its looking decent. Since we no longer have a dog that needs water daily, the well cleaning should be easy to plan for.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

I tend to flush our hot water tank annually at minimum.
usually just hook on a hose and run it for a while.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Never flushed in the last 15 years...
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Never flushed in the last 15 years...
Is that because you pee in the shower???

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Sue,you’re on firentonight...
I meant,never flushed the hot water heater...
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Is that because you pee in the shower???

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Haven't you ever heard of the saying - if it's yellow let it mellow, Emil just takes that to the extreme
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Just realized I was reading a 5 year old thread! The anode is critical.

I pulled the anode from my water heater last April. Correction: I pulled a wire that used to be an anode from my water heater last April. Bought this house a year ago and the former owners obviously never checked it. Yep, 4 feet long as is the replacement. Plenty of overhead room above my heater but even if there wasn't there are sectional anodes to allow replacement.

Went thru three (3) water heaters in Cleveland over 30 years. First one was in the house when we bought it and was probably 20 years old. Entire bottom fell out one morning and dumped water all over the basement floor. A few years later the replacement blew the drain valve across the basement but luckily the water streamed directly to the only floor drain down there. No. 3 got periodic maintenance to include checking the anode and periodic partial draining. 20 minute job.

-- Chuck
Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

How freaky.. Gone a few weeks and find this....

So, Thanksgiving, we had the family over. 11 people, 5 stayed with us, some with my Mom, then shuffling my nephew back to Temple U in Philly.

Monday afterwards, I have knee surgery. Plan was arthroscopic to cut a piece of meniscus out and take out the hardware from surgery on the same knee about 27 years ago. Then it was arthroscopic first and a brace. A year later, it was ACL reconstruction. Surgery seems to go well, or so they tell me when I wake up. Next day, I'm feeling pretty good, go to the doctor for a followup. He tells me he did the meniscus cut, took out the hardware, then did a bit more work to clean out 27 years of scar tissue. All in all, less than two weeks later, I'm at nearly full range of motion, no pain, a little tenderness and almost no swelling.

I planned on working from the house the rest of the week. Cindy takes off Monday and Tuesday. I stay downstairs Monday and most of Tuesday, head upstairs finally Tuesday night. Wednesday I take a shower around noon - I didn't take one Tuesday. Cindy is at work. I noticed I have to turn the handle on the shower a little further and its still got a cold tinge to it. I make a note to check the water heater. Cleaning lady arrives around 1PM. 5 minutes later she's screaming for me. Basement is flooded. We've got 3 rooms, 2 finished and 1 unfinished. We had about 4 inches in the unfinished low side, and about 2 inches on the finished high side.

So, insurance calls, getting savable items to higher ground. Plumber on Wednesday. Plumber on Thursday. Remediation company on Thursday, remediation company packs up Sunday. Adjuster finally gets over this Thursday, we do some assessment, analysis. He determines that the water heater had leaked and dumped first, then the sump pump can't keep up. Claim will get approved. Whew!

What a shitty two weeks!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:58 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Replaced both 50 gallon gas water “cans” last year after 25 years of use. Never drained or changed anode. My plumber next door neighbor says all heaters are now made in Mexico and the middlemen tout the now 7 year lifespan as a good deal: it ensures constant replacement and money for plumbers.

As far as the anode goes, there are electric anodes that keep up a charge so you don’t have to actually replace anything. Much better. Going to put two of them on mine.