S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Well I did it.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Bolton,

Beautiful car. I was so intrigued by the specs and your description that I went onto YouTube to view reviews. I did view many reviews from "AutoVlog" who bought a new black model just like yours.
He published many videos describing how he ordered the car, the optional equipment, and his driving experiences. One month after delivery, he was driving through a rainstorm in the Harrisburg PA area, and the car stopped and
would not start. He called it "waterlocked". The dealer said that the engine somehow sucked up some of the water and the car is now totaled (it was later sold at auction). Luckily, his insurance company reimbursed him what he paid for the car, and he ordered a new model. Needless to say, AutoVlog was mocked by many YouTube viewers for buying such an expensive car that easily breaks down in the rain. He has quite a few YouTube videos about this and the replacement car.

Are you concerned that this might happen to your dream car?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Similar issues have been noted by S2000 owners that installed cold air intakes and went through very heavy rains or forded deep puddles.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Did the S2000 cars that got flooded have irreparable engine damage leading to the flooded cars being written off by the insurance companies?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

In most cases yes. Once stalled the driver continued trying to start the car which only pumped more moisture into the internals. Hydrolock isn't synonimous with any particular car. It can happen to just about any vehicle under the right circumstances. Some intake designs are more prevalent to moisture intake, especially exposed paper/cotton batting (think K&N type) filters.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Would this only be a warranty issue if a design flaw were proven?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Would this only be a warranty issue if a design flaw were proven?
Maybe not even then. For example, if the manufacturer warns against fording standing water, they may very well deny the claim even though it may be considered the result of a design defect.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I used to pour a bottle of coke,full of water,in my Corvette carburator,to decoke it;worked like a charm.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Goblue, I'm not worried.
Rule 1, Don't drive through deep puddles. in anything.
I would do in my GL550 only because it has a fording depth of 23.6" but nothing else.
and in reality I wouldn't try to go anywhere near that deep.
Most vehicles and SUV's the max water depth is around 10" which is not very deep.
If I recall early Ford explorers had this problem.

but you have made me curious to look at where the actual intake is now.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
Bolton,

Beautiful car. I was so intrigued by the specs and your description that I went onto YouTube to view reviews. I did view many reviews from "AutoVlog" who bought a new black model just like yours.
He published many videos describing how he ordered the car, the optional equipment, and his driving experiences. One month after delivery, he was driving through a rainstorm in the Harrisburg PA area, and the car stopped and
would not start. He called it "waterlocked". The dealer said that the engine somehow sucked up some of the water and the car is now totaled (it was later sold at auction). Luckily, his insurance company reimbursed him what he paid for the car, and he ordered a new model. Needless to say, AutoVlog was mocked by many YouTube viewers for buying such an expensive car that easily breaks down in the rain. He has quite a few YouTube videos about this and the replacement car.

Are you concerned that this might happen to your dream car?
I was perusing the users manual and found this warning from way back in 2015

Driving on flooded roads
! Do not drive through flooded areas.
Check the depth of any water before driving
through it. Drive slowly through standing
water. Otherwise, water may enter the
vehicle interior or the engine compartment.
This can damage the electronic components
in the engine or the automatic transmission.
Water can also be drawn in by the
engine's air suction nozzles and this can
cause engine damage.

I still haven't figured out how high the intakes are yet though.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Air suction nozzles?

Quick Reply: Well I did it.