S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Well I did it.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I have put a few thousand on the new toy so I figured it was time for an update.
Some impressions; first is that the right pedal is a lot of fun but I really want to go somewhere where I can stretch it's legs a bit.
Silly supra-legal speeds are a few quick seconds away. lows 70's to mid 90's is shockingly short and not dramatic at all.
I'm not sure how many times I've glanced down and said out loud "jesus, dumbass slow down"
The stopping of the brakes may be more impressive. This thing has some serious anchors.
This is a BIG car and yet the brakes will modulate and not lock up under hard braking right down into and through the corner.
The downside of the brakes is brake dust. I have lots of Sonax is the garage which is good. I've cleaned them once and they are filthy again.

I've found that for the bulk of my driving, I've left the transmission in comfort mode. Starts in second gear and shifts early for good fuel economy.
Even though it is called comfort mode it's not exactly bogging off the line. Sport mode is, as expected, a lot of fun and entertaining. 'Nuff said.
Manual mode is entertaining but sport mode is almost always in the right gear.
Since it is a wet clutch coupling not a slush-box you can drive it with your right foot modulating front end load easily.
Driving in heavy rain so far has not been interesting with AWD and good tires, it's stable as a rock.

The interior is well laid out and sumptuous. The longest continuous drive so far has been about 150 miles.
I did turn on the back massage a few times during the drive just to stay loose.
Perhaps not really surprising, the S63 is one of the quietest coupes on the market.
So quiet in fact, I can clearly hear my wife saying " slow down, you don't need another ticket."

I've seen 3 other S coupes, although I think they all were s550's. and one S550 convertible coupe.
I'll admit I love the response to the car. Folks I've worked with for years suddenly come up to me, "wow that's yours, I love it"
My boss was curious if they were paying me to much. I quickly assured him that such a thing simply did not exist.
I did enjoy that a 911 GT3 chased me down to give me a thumbs up.

I have a few trivial nits to pick. My tall travel cup bump the air handler controls on the dash occasionally shutting of the A/C.
The black interior gets hot in the summer sun. uhm yeah , well duh!!!
and hmm well uhm and oh and the 't' in Biturbo fell off when I washed it too vigorously.
but given those deep flaws I'm pretty sure I'll still keep it.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

So georgeous! I have had my E350 two years now, but unlike the last few cars, I'm not ready to ditch my 2014 just yet. The 2016 has nothing on mine. But if I found an E63 same or newer year, I could be tempted.
Also keep looking for a SL550 but they are still too much $$$ for a 2014 - 2016.

Did you ever join the MBUSA group? Discounts on parts, and other fun stuff.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

Bolt, sounds like a keeper! Thanks for the update.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 AM

Dean, if my wife wouldn't divorce me, I'd love to get an SL63.
Go drive an AMG.. As Martha Stewart would say, It's a good thing.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM

Received 3,777 Likes on 3,012 Posts

Straight up pimpin’ Ride!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Please allow me a moment to expound on the pleasures of decadence.
It was a cold rather raw night coming out of work this evening to a cold car.
Naturally I immediately flipped on the seat heater and the steering wheel heater.
But as I sat there for a moment, I had to remember the control sequence on the dash.
Bring up the vehicle menu and under the options ... ah there it is, turn on the door arm rest and center console heater.

i really do have to say how much I love that every surface of the leather has a nice warm touch to it.
It is really, really comfortable. I even turned on the back massage.

And no I haven't opted for the remote start. For reasons I cannot fathom, it's rather expensive.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Naturally I immediately flipped on the seat heater and the steering wheel heater.
But as I sat there for a moment, I had to remember the control sequence on the dash.
Bring up the vehicle menu and under the options ... ah there it is, turn on the door arm rest and center console heater.

i really do have to say how much I love that every surface of the leather has a nice warm touch to it.

And no I haven't opted for the remote start. For reasons I cannot fathom, it's rather expensive.
Aww, poor thing.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue

Really! The seat has a back massage but you don't have a remote start?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

A good fart could have warmed the entire cabin.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:16 PM

So Chris Harris has decided the S63 coupe needed a little love

Quick Reply: Well I did it.