S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What does "passing on the right" mean?

Old 09-06-2003, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Florida, all those huge shit-kicken construction trucks clog the high speed lanes forcing you to pass on the right. They zig zag thru traffic like they are the ones driving the S2000. We also have the beyond "vintage" or "ancient" drivers who drive slower than a freakin snail. If you honk at them the just STOP where they are.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 AM

I learned the passing-on-the-right business was really regarding two-lane roads. On a multilane highway, you pass wherever. But I also learned that you always stay in the right lane unless passing on a four-lane, and stay in the middle lane on a six-lane (to avoid oncoming and departing traffic).

I wish other drivers learned that, too, or remembered it. Some will move over into the left lane as soon as they enter the highway and just stay there regardless of relative speeds. Did they learn to drive by mail?

I've driven on the autobahn. American drivers could learn something there. Besides basic driver courtesy, nearly all drivers had two hands on the wheel, and I never saw someone reading a book while driving.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]The assumption was that faster moving traffic would always move to the left.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by mntony
....I've driven on the autobahn. American drivers could learn something there. Besides basic driver courtesy, nearly all drivers had two hands on the wheel, and I never saw someone reading a book while driving.
I too have driven on German, Italian, Swiss and Spanish autoroutes, and find it very refreshing to deal with mostly good drivers

On our most recent trip to Germany (mid-level rental car OK up to about 185 kph), my wife could not tolerate the scene.... she tends to hang too long in the left lane. Soon, I was doing all of the
Old 09-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Zam

Originally posted by paS2K

On our most recent trip to Germany (mid-level rental car OK up to about 185 kph), my wife could not tolerate the scene.... she tends to hang too long in the left lane. Soon, I was doing all of the
Yes, my wife takes too long to pass as well. It is best to get out there, pass & GET OUT OF THE WAY! Everyone respects this here, regardless of age or type of car. It is always nice to see a highend Benz or Porsche jump out of your way.

Another thing, yes the autobahn has a speed limit in most parts, but it appears that this really is a suggested speed. Most of the time 130km speed limits(80 mph or so) mean that everyone is cruising at 160km(100 mph-ish). Yes the Germans/Europeans are extremely good drivers, but not just because they "follow the rules". I think it may have something to do with the non-standoffish attitude of many Germans.