S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What new hobbies or activities have you started?

Old 05-31-2006, 04:52 AM

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts
Default What new hobbies or activities have you started?

What new activities or hobbies have you started lately as you get older? Are there certain hobbies or activities you've always wanted to try but never had time or courage and finally you are starting now? By the way, do be careful about jumping off of a perfectly good airplane. I've always wanted to ride motorcycle and am finally going to be able to do this in a few days. I've signed up for the course. Also, I've signed up for Scuba Diving that I always wanted to do but never got around to it. How about you? My wife thinks I am funny but it must be mid life crisis all over again.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:05 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I think riding around in our little Honda, attendinng meets far away from home, is our only mid life crisis to date. We're kind of boring people, I guess.

I'm no daredevil, and Rick messed up limbs over the years which hinders any daredevil activities he may have in mind.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gotten into home audio in the past year or two. It's replaced my former hobby of building/customizing Jeeps for offroad use. The change had more to do with a drastic change in lifestyle rather than advancing age.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:41 AM

I think I'm on my 5th mis-life crisis and there are still a few things I'd like to try. I'd like to get my piano playing back up to where it was before I stopped 30 years ago. I'd like to track my S on an oval track like Taledega since I found out I didn't like the hairpin turns and curves on the one track I've been on (Beaver Run). But since this is about hobbies we've started, I'm making a hobby out of decluttering severely and redecorating my entire house. I've already started the garage and will be laying a checkered floor and either paneling or painting the walls as a summer project. We'll see how far I get.

I was going to try alligator wrestling until I saw one tear up the front of a car he was under. What a powerful beast.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

Well, my tackling of the "always wanted to, but didn't have time to" stuff several years ago. I took oil painting and acrylics painting classes, moved on into contemporary-art classes and loved them, still dabble in that a little bit from time to time. Then I took writing classes and wrote (and still dabble in this too) short stories. Then I took pottery classes and loved that too, but I created handbuilt pieces that were just lovely, however, then one must figure out what to do with all the stuff after you've made gifts of it to all your friends and family so I moved from that to gourmet cooking classes and still do a lot of cooking and love it. Somewhere in the middle of all this, I got the S and joined this place. Somewhere in the middle of joining this place, I also got involved in two other forums of interest and do mod-duties on them. I also love flower gardening and growing my own cooking herbs, so that fills a great deal of my I always wanted to time. Hmmm -- oh, yes, got interested in obedience training with my big ole bulldog, so he and I work out every day that its not raining. I'm a prolific reader and belong to a reading group here at my local library, I'm on two boards and belong to a couple of clubs. I have no idea when I found the time to hold down a job. I also enjoy hiking and climbing (nothing exotic or difficult, after all I'm a grandmother).
Old 05-31-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Val, I'm tired just reading what you do!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,May 31 2006, 09:41 AM
I was going to try aligator wrestling until I saw one tear up the front of a car he was under. What a powerful beast.
You might want to rethink that. The gators aren't happy this year for some reason. We've had three fatal gator attacks in the past month. There have only been around 420 fatal attacks since 1948.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dean,May 31 2006, 09:00 AM
You might want to rethink that. The gators aren't happy this year for some reason. We've had three fatal gator attacks in the past month. There have only been around 420 fatal attacks since 1948.
Yeah, the report I saw last night said it was mating season and that the males were cranky (like what's new ). It was just a fleeting thought, believe me. Speaking of gators, where is that Flats guy? Think the gators got him finally?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,May 31 2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, the report I saw last night said it was mating season and that the males were cranky (like what's new ). It was just a fleeting thought, believe me. Speaking of gators, where is that Flats guy? Think the gators got him finally?
I doubt it. They'd just spit him right back out.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:20 AM

I think that if you asked my wife about mid-life crisis issues pertaining to me, she'd suggest there might be something related to my buying, recently, absurdly impractical cars -- quite a switch from my longer-term behavior. This despite my cogent arguments about how practical the S really is once you look beneath the sexy exterior and the fact that it's a roadster.

My arguments about the previous car (the STi), though, are not quite so persuasive. HPH

Quick Reply: What new hobbies or activities have you started?