S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What is this place?

Old 11-24-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this place?

When I first started posting here on Friday, I assumed the Vintage forum was for people who consider the S2000 to be a collector or classic car and therefore have (for some odd reason) bought them and garaged them in long term storage. I thought that was kind of weird, that you'd have an entire forum devoted to the preservation of a relatively new, modern car, but hey, what do I know?

But after reading some posts a la "teen forum" vs "vintage forum" I'm wondering if I had it completely wrong.

If so, where is the forum for the late 20-somethings and early 30-somethings? Are we vintage yet? How long do we need to ripen? What happens when I'm too old to be young but too young to be, uh, vintage?

This is a really odd setup, that you'd have separate forums like this, based on age group? There must have been some really colorful history about how this came to be. Is there a S2KI historical FAQ? Is there a diary of past drama maintained somewhere?

Oh, and does anyone here have a S2000 in decades-long storage because they think it's a collector's car? (Better ask, just in case my initial assumption was correct after all....)
Old 11-25-2003, 02:57 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Phoenix

This question comes up from time to time, and even though it has been covered in the past, you have asked a legitimate question and are entitled to an answer.

The S2000 appeals to enthusiasts of all ages. There are quite a number of people from every decade of life registered on this board and who own the S2000. If I recall correctly, the youngest owner is 15 years old and the oldest owner is 73. Again, there are owners at every age in between.

Many of us in the 40 and over age group wanted a little corner of the site where we could discuss issues that we felt were of particular interest to us. Our perspective, our perceptions and our point of view is somewhat different than many of those under 40. This is natural. Our needs, our wants and how we see things change as we age. Therefore, this corner of the site was set aside for Vintage.

Vintage has always been an open forum. We welcome, as you have found out, input from anyone. We feel the exchange of ideas is important. We learn, you learn and everyone is happy. The only rules are that flames, personal attacks, insults, slurs, offensive language and the offensive use of language are strictly prohibited. We discuss issues in a civil manner and we try to keep the "noise" level down.

Take a quick stroll though the forum. Look at the kinds of issues we discuss and the manner in which they are discussed. After that see if you still think that it is a "rather odd setup" as you stated. We think it's rather natural, as is getting older.

In answer to your question about the younger forums, you are new to the site. Perhaps you should spend some time looking at all of the forums to find a place where you are comfortable. If, after that, you are still convinced of the need for a 20s and 30s forum, do what we did. Organize one and apply to the directors of this site. It is as simple as that.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:15 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Very good answer, Rob! Some of us have owned or do own vintage cars in addition to the S, but the word applies to the members who are 40+ in age. We hope you like hanging out here as much as we do!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:05 AM

Phoenix: You will need your cane and collapsable walker before you are considered vintage. When you turn 40 and are in obvious need of the above due to the your advanced age, apply with Ralpher or MsPerky for a vintage badge. In the meantime, like folks in a home for the aged, we appreciate visitors.
Hope to see you soon. Now where did I leave my cane?
Anybody know about Mods for my Rascal S2000? Wanna race?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:01 AM

Phoenix,

I'm "pre-vintage" or "unofficial." In other words, I'm only 32. This is one of my favorite forums and the golden gummers seem to tolerate me pretty well. Besides, someone has to be able to hang around and check the bolts on the walkers and wheelchairs.

Seriously, this is a good group. I may not be vintage, but I'm more comfortable here than I am elsewhere. These guys usually have some very interesting threads going and have good discussions.

Julie
Old 11-25-2003, 06:08 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Thanks for that show of support, Julie!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Wait a minute... this forum is for old people???? I thought it was for wine drinkers....
Old 11-25-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Phoenix: Although I meet the birthdate requirements for Vintage and I do truly enjoy the Vintage forum, I also enjoy my community club, the Mid-Atlantic Forum. You may find that you enjoy surfing through Vintage, but I would encourage you to visit the forum for your geographic area. You may meet some old friends there and perhaps make new ones. That is where you will be able to find others who have meets, drives, and get-togethers in your area. In the meantime, welcome to Vintage -- we leave our canes and walkers at the door when we jump into our S2ks and
Old 11-25-2003, 08:07 AM

Every time I see the title of this thread I imagine someone who took the red pill (a la "The Matrix") and woke up in a whole 'nother world. VintageLand!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by phoenix9999

Quick Reply: What is this place?